Can't save as Route

rhban

Somehow, my problems with Debugger have (at least temporarily) gone away, but I am having a Save problem. I have a Track Mark that has the wrong name, but when I try to save it at Route Level like all my other Track Marks in this route, it insists on trying to save it at Session Level. This has already cost me me entire fleet of trains when I didn't notice it was creating a new session - my fault, but when I examine what is going on at the bottom of the list on the left hand side it clearly states "route level", but when I go to save with the new name of this Track Mark, it somehow changes to Session Level.
This has never happened before - as stated, all my other track marks are in Route Level - so I would welcome any ideas. It wouldn't be so terrible if it just added the thing to the Session, but it insists on overwriting the Session with NO TRAINS!!! What am I doing wrong?

There are many objects in Trainz that are placed in the "Route Level" (i.e. one of the route layers) that will, often, have some elements that can be saved at the "Session Level" (and not necessarily in a session layer).

The names of objects are one such example. Whenever I change the name of a station sign that is in a route layer or add a new sign (also in a route layer) Trainz will ask me to save the session as well. Since I know that the station sign objects are all in route layers I ignore the request and simply save the route only (unless I have also edited something that IS in a session layer). The same is true for trackmarks but as I usually save them as part of a Session it is not an issue to save the session as well as the route.

If it was placed in a session, changing the name, even if you are in the route layer, will not change the original placement location. You need the properties of the TM and change the layer from session to route or delete it and place a new TM while in the route layer.

change the layer from session to route or delete it and place a new TM while in the route layer.

But that will not alter the fact that editing the TM (by changing its name) will always generate a request to save the session even though the TM is in a route layer. I just ran some tests to confirm this.

I don't know why this must happen with simple name changes as the edited name will be saved in the route even if you don't save the session. It has always been thus :(

There are many objects in Trainz that are placed in the "Route Level" (i.e. one of the route layers) that will, often, have some elements that can be saved at the "Session Level" (and not necessarily in a session layer).

The names of objects are one such example. Whenever I change the name of a station sign that is in a route layer or add a new sign (also in a route layer) Trainz will ask me to save the session as well. Since I know that the station sign objects are all in route layers I ignore the request and simply save the route only (unless I have also edited something that IS in a session layer). The same is true for trackmarks but as I usually save them as part of a Session it is not an issue to save the session as well as the route.

This is what I was attempting to do, but the game was not allowing me to save at route level even though, in the left hand column, route level is specifically highlighted.

Try the following:-

1. Select an object that is in a route layer (e.g. a tree but not a track mark or other track object).
  2. Move it (just slightly).
  3. Save

What save dialogue do you see?

If it was placed in a session, changing the name, even if you are in the route layer, will not change the original placement location. You need the properties of the TM and change the layer from session to route or delete it and place a new TM while in the route layer.

I am very conscious of what I put in Route and what in Session. These particular track marks are for route only.
I'll have to try it, but I think this is only happening with track objects: points, track marks and signals, but I'll have to check.

Back