Help: Milwaukee Road Steam Session

rogueranger1993

Narrow Gauge Enthusiast
Hey all,

I'm trying to install a session on the DLS for the Avery-to-Drexel route - specifically Milwaukee Road Aver-Drexel Steam Era Session (<kuid:682163:100337>) by PennsylvaniaRR01. I have several dependencies missing, and was curious to know if anybody else knew where to get them?

Also, is the session even worth the effort of installing? Anyone have experience with it?

Here's the list of missing KUIDs:

<kuid2:420424:100712:2>
<kuid:682163:100136>
<kuid2:520526:2990:2>
<kuid:602735:100562>
<kuid2:96914:4770:3>
<kuid:99654:100423>
<kuid:520526:2999>
<kuid2:520526:2991:1>
<kuid:914679:100419>
<kuid:520526:3011>
<kuid:914679:100420>
<kuid:99654:100421>
<kuid:520526:3013>
<kuid2:520526:2599:2>
<kuid2:520526:2596:2>
<kuid:99654:100424>
<kuid:99654:100133>
<kuid:99654:100134>
<kuid2:420424:100692:2>
<kuid:602735:100560>

As far as steam on the Saint Paul Pass goes, you're looking at the era 1909-1920 anyway, except for the immediate environs of Avery, where the Coast division steamers exchanged trains with the juice jacks. You'd be looking at 2-6-2s, 2-8-2s and 4-8-2s in the pre-diesel days. Likely a Consolidation or two. From 1910 to electrification you'd need oil-fired steamers. Coal was prohibited east of Malden, WA to prevent further forest fires following the 1910 disaster.

The NP line to Mullan is a different story -- I cooked myself up a steam session using a USRA mallet to haul the train found in the NP Winter session from Haugan to Mullan, but you'd probably want to sort through more period rolling stock, with shorter cars, no auto carriers or centerbeam flats or supertankers. OK, double-door auto boxcars, yeah.

:B~)

Certainly possible. And thanks for the awesome prototype info, RHK! That's very helpful to understanding what should appear on the route and when. It is a bummer that the session is broken, especially since the author didn't include anything to indicate where one should go to find the missing assets. I do think, though, that one asset - kuid:682163:100136 - was a customized version of the original route. My suspicions on this are caused by the fact that the session doesn't appear in the Milwaukee route's session folder by default and are helped by the fact that the asset has the same preview image as the route.

Anyways, I figure I'll keep the session installed in my asset collection, on the off chance that I ever figure out the missing assets.

Certainly possible. And thanks for the awesome prototype info, RHK! That's very helpful to understanding what should appear on the route and when. It is a bummer that the session is broken, especially since the author didn't include anything to indicate where one should go to find the missing assets. I do think, though, that one asset - kuid:682163:100136 - was a customized version of the original route. My suspicions on this are caused by the fact that the session doesn't appear in the Milwaukee route's session folder by default and are helped by the fact that the asset has the same preview image as the route.

Anyways, I figure I'll keep the session installed in my asset collection, on the off chance that I ever figure out the missing assets.

That suggests the session creator may be in violation of copyright, if he uploaded a cloned route without tume's permission. A lot of the assets on the list have the maker's member numbers yet don't show up and the same thing may have happened with them. If it was me, I'd deep-six the route and session.

One can't build a session for one route on a different route and expect anything but trouble. I've had issues enough porting the Fond du Lac branch from 12 to T:ANE, where it should be the same route but isn't. That required rebuilding all the sessions, one by one, sometimes from scratch. If I was lucky, I could copy the session rules over and it would run OK.

:B~\

A fair assessment of what may have happened, so I'm probably in agreement on deep-sixing it now that it's been pointed out. Bit of a bummer, considering that a steam-era sessionf or the route could be quite fun. Guess I'll just have to make do until someone else does a proper steam session, or I get skilled enough to do one myself.

I am curious. If a person like myself, who owns Avery-Drexel, made a small change and then (had to!) save it under my own userID, then later used that to create a session, would not all of the above apply? We tend to hurry to disparage people when it seems it could be something as simple as that, but I don't know, which is why I am asking. If one changes a route, I would think one would want to go back to the original before making a session to upload to the DLS, but mistakes can be made?
On the other hand, maybe payware is not allowed to save changes to another userID, so my speculation is unfounded? I guess I should try that.

I am curious. If a person like myself, who owns Avery-Drexel, made a small change and then (had to!) save it under my own userID, then later used that to create a session, would not all of the above apply? We tend to hurry to disparage people when it seems it could be something as simple as that, but I don't know, which is why I am asking. If one changes a route, I would think one would want to go back to the original before making a session to upload to the DLS, but mistakes can be made?...

Based only on personal experience that should read: "...mistakes will be made?" :hehe:

Ya, as long as they're for personal use only there's nothing invidious about it, but as you say, we should be careful about creating sessions for public consumption. Intentional or not, copyright violations is copyright violations.

When the change to route features is simply an addition of an asset, that can be done readily in the session. If you look at my uploaded Avery-Drexel sessions, there are extensive whistle post and crossing protection features added in the session where Tume omitted them. In fact, it was necessary in one case to add a session trackmark (or was it a trigger?) to replace an original that had zombiefied. In the 1956 Hiawatha session, route freeway signs were masked with session billboards.

Thanks for the tips, RH. I have two of your sessions, so I need to give them a run. Do you have more?

I've done three that are on the DLS:
<kuid:373500:100201> Daily Logger on Avery-Drexel
<kuid2:373500:100023:2> Mainstreeter for Avery-Drexel
<kuid2:373500:100013:1> Westbound Hiawatha - 1956

I've done a quick hack of one of the NP sessions to test out a USRA Mallet but it's nothing for release.

Bob

Back