Take a Ride on the New Haven Railroad's Naugatuck Division

NBandW

Hi everyone,

I’ve posted a few shots of this project in the Routes thread, but thought that starting a separate thread might motivate me to inch it along a little faster.

I guess I should start with an introduction, since I haven’t posted that much. I spent a lot of time around Trainz from the pre-SP3 days through the TS2009 era before dropping off for about 10 years, but even then, I mostly lurked the forums. I got back into Open Rails and TRS2019 over the past couple years and have been back on the forums here for the last year or so, mostly posting screenshots here and there. A huge shoutout to the accumulated wealth of knowledge in these forums and across the community - it has been a huge help in getting re-started in the hobby.

My prior project in Trainz had about 60 miles of modern mountain railroad set in the northeastern US, but it’s entirely built to TRS2004-ish standards (why did I let myself use forest splines everywhere…). Someday, I might try to upgrade it, but for the moment I’ve decided to start fresh with a new project: the New Haven Railroad’s Naugatuck mainline from Devon to Waterbury. This is the modern-day Metro-North Waterbury Branch, but I’m setting the route vaguely in the transition era.

I’m building from an old fishlipsatwork DEM that I found trawling around the DLS, which extends as far north as Waterbury and also includes bits of the mainline (today’s NEC) as well as the Maybrook line. The route probably won’t have an exact time associated with it, since multiple changes hit this line in short succession - it was single-tracked in 1948, then a massive flood devastated the area in 1955. I’ve laid everything out in its double-track and pre-flood configuration for now, since I figure it’s easier to remove track later, but ultimately I’m aiming for something where early Alcos would look at home. That said, I still run JR’s U25Bs and other 60s-70s stock on it quite a bit, even if they are slightly new for the surroundings. I know from searching around the forums that I’m not the first person to model this line, and I make no guarantees that I’ll ever finish this, but so far it’s been a fun exercise in learning a bit more about my home railroad.

Anyway, without further ado, some screenshots of the mostly-finished areas (a few of these are reposts from other threads):

Approaching Beacon Falls:
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Crossing the triple bridges at Derby Jct:

Along the Housatonic River south of Turkey Brook yard:

Two shots between Derby and Milford:

Approaching the junction with the mainline at Devon:

Hopefully more to come soon!

This is a really great looking set of screenshots! The whole thing reminds me of an N-Scale model railroad that appeared several times in Model Railroader magazine - the Naugatuck Valley RR, built by David Popp and set in the Fall of 1959. That particular layout was centered on Waterbury, and modeled an area from Winsted in the north down to Beacon in the south. Seeing this new project of yours brings up a nice bit of nostalgia for me!

Other than that, you've taken some very well-staged screenshots that look very good overall, and it's a pleasure to look at them. The superb modelling of the area helps to set the scene, and overall, the look of the area just feels right to me - you're off to an excellent start, if you ask me! Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to following this topic for more shots of your progress!

That is quite a Route your developing, and agree, the Forums hold a wealth of information. ;)

Thank you for sharing,

Thank you all for the kind words! I had to be honest about my screenshot staging, some of it definitely comes from trying to re-create my research photos. That, and artfully positioning the camera to show only the completed areas haha.

I guess one thing that I didn’t mention in the first post is that I’m at least attempting to make this a “three-season” route. I don’t have quite enough seasonal buildings for it to work properly in the winter, but I can at least get spring, summer, and fall with the palette that I’ve been using so far.

Anyway, here are a few shots from the small piece of the Maybrook line on the DEM, featuring a short autorack block that the New Haven ran in its later years via a zig-zag clearance route to Boston:

And here’s one more from outside of Beacon Falls:

Lovley to see New Haven themed routes. The route looks really good.
Will there be other conncetions to other New England railroads?

Lovley to see New Haven themed routes. The route looks really good.
Will there be other conncetions to other New England railroads?

Thanks! The area covered by the DEM was all New Haven trackage during this era, though the Boston & Maine did end up operating in this area in the 1980s. That said, local landmarks aside, I think most northeastern roads would look at home on the route:

Alex - cool to hear that the New Haven is also your home railroad!

Picking this back up again after a bit of a hiatus...between a vacation, work, and summer plans, I haven't had much time to work on the route. In the meantime, here are a few more shots from around the Beacon Falls area:

Thank you both! Railwoodman - I've been following along with your impressive work on the PRR mainline, and PWeiser, your many contributions of New Haven rolling stock over the years have definitely been part of my motivation in building this route.

Progress has been light over the summer, but I've recently been giving some attention to the mainline area near Milford. Here are a few shots of a 1960s-era westbound Maybrook Line freight under the wires:

Some of the rolling stock has held up better than others ;) . Nice to see it getting a workout on a good route!

Very well done!

I've lived in New England my whole life and used to see the New Haven on my trips to New York City and New York State when I visited my dad's relatives. For me, the B&M was my backyard railroad and there wasn't anything different, but when we got down near Cedar Hill on the New England Thruway, I became excited knowing I was going to see the cool trains! Seeing these pictures, you've caught the uniqueness that the New Haven had not only with their locomotives but also with their operations and infrastructure. It's sad to see so much that was that's no longer today thanks to the Penn Central and the anti-rail state government in Connecticut in the past. Imagine what it would be if the Maybrook line wasn't severed.

Anyway, this is TransDEM and Trainz at their finest.

Back