Converting route to HD error message question

jadebullet

might be back?
Hello,
I am currently converting a tranzDEM route to HD and due to tranzDEM exceeding the very low texture limit per baseboard of 16 it is displaying an error that "Ground conversion in incomplete at X due to texture limitation." Does this mean that the route is not actually converting to HD terrain, or it just letting me know that it had to exclude certain textures?

Also, are there any plans to increase that texture limit to something a bit less restrictive? 16 seems a little on the low side, though I say this based on not attempting to texture stuff yet.

Last edited:
"Ground conversion in incomplete at X due to texture limitation." Does this mean that the route is not actually converting to HD terrain, or it just letting me know that it had to exclude certain textures?

I experienced exactly the same on my 10m grid to HD grid conversion. The problem was a single baseboard out of hundreds that had exceeded the 16 texture limit. The entire route was converted but possibly not that baseboard (I didn't check).

Last edited:
I think I can agree Surveyor 2.0 is good to a point but Surveyor 1.0 needs HD support as some of us use classic edition more, and can still upgrade option is required in 1.0

Last edited:
It converts the 16 most commonly used textures and replaces 17 onwards with the most common texture on that board.

16 textures that are 10m x 10m would be quite limiting. However, 16 textures that can be painted in much more detail opens up a lot more variety.

HD terrain is S2.0 only. The old tools aren't compatible, so using Classic will mean continuing with 5m or 10m terrain.

If you tell us about the things you still do in Classic, there are often better ways available in S2.0 (that just require learning the new technique).

2023-05-19_161838.jpg

Last edited:
It converts the 16 most commonly used textures and replaces 17 onwards with the most common texture on that board.

I get this message about a dozen times during conversion of my route. Is there a way to tell which textures and which boards are affected?

16 textures that are 10m x 10m would be quite limiting. However, 16 textures that can be painted in much more detail opens up a lot more variety.

HD terrain is S2.0 only. The old tools aren't compatible, so using Classic will mean continuing with 5m or 10m terrain.

If you tell us about the things you still do in Classic, there are often better ways available in S2.0 (that just require learning the new technique).

2023-05-19_161838.jpg

Something I miss is the possibility to "soften" the terrain in an very easy way, which was very easy in S1.0, but maybe it's even easier in S2.0 if I just learnt how to do it properly. And the easy way to soften terrain underneath a spline/track, now it demands so many clicks. Otherwise I'm very pleased so far!

I get this message about a dozen times during conversion of my route. Is there a way to tell which textures and which boards are affected?
When I last tried the "Upgrade" process in an earlier HD terrain build there was a progress bar shown on the screen. This became a "task completed" report with or without errors. If there were baseboards with more than 16 textures then the X Y coordinates of the origin of each baseboard was reported. I simply plugged those coordinates into the Focus setting in the Info Palette to be taken straight to each affected baseboard so I was able to give it a visual inspection. I do not recall if it identified the texture(s) that were replaced - possibly not.

When I last tried the "Upgrade" process in an earlier HD terrain build there was a progress bar shown on the screen. This became a "task completed" report with or without errors. If there were baseboards with more than 16 textures then the X Y coordinates of the origin of each baseboard was reported. I simply plugged those coordinates into the Focus setting in the Info Palette to be taken straight to each affected baseboard so I was able to give it a visual inspection. I do not recall if it identified the texture(s) that were replaced - possibly not.
Thanks pware. I did not keep a copy of the report, but next time I run the conversion I will explore this further. Any conversion will be for my own benefit only, as the resulting route can't be save to .cdp due to size.

It's too bad the report isn't linkable to the baseboard(s) being reported. That would make finding the baseboard(s) in question a whole lot easier.

Back