Surveyor 2.0 Rulers (Measurement Tools)

Prince271088

Apologies if this is a little dense of me, but I am trying to get to grips with S2.0 but the one thing I can't seem to find is the measurement tools. Obviously in Surveyor Classic you'd click the spanner icon and it would be there, but I can't find anything similar in 2.0. Could someone please point me in the direction of the measurement tools in S2.0 or if there's some new method, explain that to me instead?

The only problem I have with the Surveyor 2.0 rulers is that because they are splines, they can be difficult to move without moving other splines near them.

For example, if I am using an S20 ruler to measure the length of a track segment I will run it from one track endpoint to the next. So when I next move the ruler endpoint to extend it further along the track I will often accidentally pick up the track endpoint instead. This leads to some "fiddling around" until I can just grab the ruler endpoint.

At least with the Surveyor Classic ruler, and all of its "issues", you needed to use the ruler tools to move it so no other splines were accidentally moved.

I am certain that there are ways around this, such as setting up a filter in the Assets Palette that restricts object selection to just the ruler alone. But annoying never-the-less.

Issues like this raised by pware lead me to think that the people designing and programming the newer versions of trainz have never actually built a route or used some of the tools they are re-imagining. If its not broken then dont fix it.
Very disappointing...
PG

Issues like this raised by pware lead me to think that the people designing and programming the newer versions of trainz have never actually built a route or used some of the tools they are re-imagining. If its not broken then dont fix it.
Very disappointing...

Unfortunately, the Surveyor Classic rulers were broken and in need of fixing. There are a number of threads over the years dealing with their issues, none of those issues (so far) seem to be present in the new S20 rulers.

The only problem I have with the Surveyor 2.0 rulers is that because they are splines, they can be difficult to move without moving other splines near them.

For example, if I am using an S20 ruler to measure the length of a track segment I will run it from one track endpoint to the next. So when I next move the ruler endpoint to extend it further along the track I will often accidentally pick up the track endpoint instead. This leads to some "fiddling around" until I can just grab the ruler endpoint.

At least with the Surveyor Classic ruler, and all of its "issues", you needed to use the ruler tools to move it so no other splines were accidentally moved.

I am certain that there are ways around this, such as setting up a filter in the Assets Palette that restricts object selection to just the ruler alone. But annoying never-the-less.

Hi pware, yes it can be very annoying. As a workaround you could put the rulers on a separate layer, but then you have to remember to swap layers when laying the track. No easy way I'm sorry to say.

Very disappointing...
PG

You hit the nail right on the head. The lead programmer admitted he never touches the product. I'm sure any other programmers are the same. They see the little snippets of code modules and have absolutely no clue what they are actually doing. In the olden days when Greg Lane ran the show at Auran, the Brew Crew was required to create a route to actually use the program. It didn't have to be much but at least they had an understanding of how the program works.

My issue with splines, and others have complained about them is the ant-sized spline points making adjustments difficult.

My issue with splines, and others have complained about them is the ant-sized spline points making adjustments difficult.

Hi John, Agree totally. Unfortunately Tony sees this as 'Polish'. As you said in a previous post N3V will move on to something else (HD Terrain and Living Railroad for example) and it will never get sorted. I understand the need to deliver something new and keep people hooked on the Trainz Plus subscription, but the essential tools should be fixed first not put on the back burner. I personally can't think of anything more Important than the UI. A good easy UI makes or breaks a program.

John

If you Filter selection, select Splines, then type "Ruler" in the search box, you will only be able to select rulers.

Additionally, It's worth noting that when "Filter Selection" is selected, only Items that currently appear in the Assets Palette can be selected.

Last edited:
Also, I have found when working with spline points in close proximity, it is easiest to select the entire spline first, then move one of the axis lines on the desired spline point's gadget, rather than trying to grab the point itself.

For those who have S2.0 but have never used the ruler spline, give it a try. You will find it is much easier to get very precise measurements than the ruler in Surveyor Classic.

Why should I want to filter from 1million assets to use a ruler or place a camera
it is perfect the way it is in S1, they stand out, easy to find and work like they should
Maybe S2 could simply get a small dockable window with rulers and camera's

Made my own flat in gmax and designed my marklin H0 train in 3 rooms of the flat
the S1 rulers and my precision grid work great to do that task.

click to enlarge

Back