Interesting sound engine happenings.

DARTrider

Goofy Fictional RR Owner
I regularly record videos of trains in Trainz for my YouTube channel, and while recording a new video of a train speeding (~ 65 mph/109 km/h) over a bridge with built-in bridge sounds, it sounded really nice for about 5 seconds before the sound engine ruined it.

From my understanding, the train speed combined with the other sounds going on was "too many sounds" to handle, and resulted in the bridge sounds (and some track sounds) being cut out. If they had cut out entirely, that would have been fine, but just a few seconds later the bridge and track sounds started up again! This continued right up until the train passed by. This resulted in really good sounding audio for a few seconds, then nothing but default track noise and enginesounds, then to really good audio. I've noticed this happening with track sounds on the first train I run after booting up a route. The track sounds are choppy and don't sound good unless I rerun the train.

Can someone explain why this happens and how to fix it?
Thank you!

Have you toggled on and off "Enable 3D sound effects" (in game sound settings) to see if that makes a difference?

When loading a route in Driver, pause the session until everything has loaded. That helps a lot on many fronts including the sounds. The overall sound engine is still piss poor and always has been since the early days. The good news at least is the diesel engines no longer sound like vacuum cleaners.

Have you toggled on and off "Enable 3D sound effects" (in game sound settings) to see if that makes a difference?

Turning off 3D sound did not make a difference, annoyingly. I toggled it a couple times but to no avail.

When loading a route in Driver, pause the session until everything has loaded. That helps a lot on many fronts including the sounds. The overall sound engine is still piss poor and always has been since the early days. The good news at least is the diesel engines no longer sound like vacuum cleaners.

I will try this! Thank you.

The 3D option likely will not make any difference but if I recall I think a restart may be needed after changing it. Might be worth another try with a game restart (if you didn't already do so). Has to do with sound system when loading I believe. I'm just trying to think of things...

Amen, look how long it was before we even got stereo or doppler shift!

This is one of the items that are on my "must be better" list before I move on with a newer version.

Multiplayer surveyor, millimeter terrian, living railroad... Phooey!

I want to see and hear decent lighting and sound first.

Same here! I would buy TRS22 if it had sound engine and lighting engine improvements, among other things (somewhat realistic derailments).

Back