Ok NV3 i'll ask again, any plans regarding vegetation ? .

If we go back in time, ( 2016 ) NV3 had time to address this situation ,this is one of their tutorials on how to make speed trees.Then they apparently gave up and threw the ball into the laps of content creators. We now see the result of this situation , for instance, we used to have many realistic looking spruce trees we could use in TANE, the spruce is very widely spread throughout the USA , through most of the rockies, right up into Canada but now ( unless I have missed them somehow ) most of them are either billboards, or transparent . NV3 have two Colorado blue spruce speed trees on the DLS , but they don't look very realistic and their build is 3.9, even if they had plans to update their own tree assets that would be an improvement .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe7fu7g_yUU

Just out of curiosity, I had a look at Tree It. The website description sounds quite inviting.

About Tree It

Tree It is an easy to use real time 3D tree generator for the simple creation of your very own 3D tree models for your apps and games. All model exports are free to use with any engine or project.

Features
Very easy to create quality 3D trees models.
Create any tree, not limited to just one tree type.
Edit each joint as well as break joints.
Render to image for leaf creation.
Adjustable LOD.
Exports to *.dbo *.fbx *.obj *.x .
Free.
Note: Fbx models are exported in ascii format which some applications don't support, you can use autodesk fbx converter to convert FBX models into binary.

So, I downloaded/installed the program and within 15 minutes of blind fiddling, made this monstrosity and managed to export it to an FBX file;

P7YroE8.jpg

Unfortunately, there are a quadzillion control sliders to tweak, but no User Manual to explain anything.

Last edited:
Looks like the fir and spruce examples are no better than what we have now. Worked 25 years in forestry, never saw so many twisted squirrely trees.
Juniper is straight, but kinda tubular.

blender tree generator.

There is this, looks amazing, but no one seems to be using it for our sim, which begs the question, is it suitable for use in trainz ? its only $9.99
https://blendermarket.com/products/tree-generator
I'd be happy to buy someone a copy if they will try it out.
Plus there are other generators that blender can use .

https://www.pixcores.com/2022/07/5-free-tree-generator-for-blender

if someone was prepared to write me a detailed tutorial on how to use blender specifically from start to finish so it can simplify the procedure to create trees for trainz , I'd happily make them for free and would attempt to try to address the gaps for N America and Australia .
Even if it means not making anything for my routes for a few months.

Or perhaps NV3 could provide a tutorial like that did back in 2016 and I'd make them using that. At the moment there's nothing i can find that covers the procedure.

Last edited:
There is this, looks amazing, but no one seems to be using it for our sim, which begs the question, is it suitable for use in trainz ? its only $9.99
https://blendermarket.com/products/tree-generator
I'd be happy to buy someone a copy if they will try it out.
Plus there are other generators that blender can use .

https://www.pixcores.com/2022/07/5-free-tree-generator-for-blender

if someone was prepared to write me a detailed tutorial on how to use blender specifically from start to finish so it can simplify the procedure to create trees for trainz , I'd happily make them for free and would attempt to try to address the gaps for N America and Australia .
Even if it means not making anything for my routes for a few months.

Or perhaps NV3 could provide a tutorial like that did back in 2016 and I'd make them using that. At the moment there's nothing i can find that covers the procedure.
All of the tree program examples I posted earlier were freeware and the blender addon looks like one of the most powerful tools, for someone who knows how to use Blender.
The tutorial N3V posted in 2016 was for making trees in Speedtree v6, but fell by the wayside as soon as v7 came out. 10k for a game licence for Speedtree v9 is too steep even for N3V. (If I ever happen to win the lottery I'd gladly donate a licence or two)
3.9 trees still work in TRS22, as they were made for T:ane beta whereas 3.7 TS12 trees will not work at all.
It is possible that v6 and v9 Speedtree assets could coexist, but the cost is prohibitive, especially if you buy trees from the Speedtree library store.
I guess for the forseeable future we will just need to use N3V and RMM trees and use our imagination.

Last edited:
All of the tree program examples I posted earlier were freeware and the blender addon looks like one of the most powerful tools, for someone who knows how to use Blender.
The tutorial N3V posted in 2016 was for making trees in Speedtree v6, but fell by the wayside as soon as v7 came out. 10k for a game licence for Speedtree v9 is too steep even for N3V. (If I ever happen to win the lottery I'd gladly donate a licence or two)
3.9 trees still work in TRS22, as they were made for T:ane beta whereas 3.7 TS12 trees will not work at all.
It is possible that v6 and v9 Speedtree assets could coexist, but the cost is prohibitive, especially if you buy trees from the Speedtree library store.
I guess for the forseeable future we will just need to use N3V and RMM trees and use our imagination.

Yeah, I know that speedtrees became prohibitively expensive, although if NV3 had run a fundraiser to buy the software I would have gladly contributed.
I was hoping that Blender plugin would be easy to use , making 3d buildings, vehicles, etc is pretty hard as they are so complex, but if a plugin simplifies things so one is using a limited interface then it could be relatively easy to create a tree. Its also getting the item into game that seems hard with trainz . I've made simple 3d models years ago , but getting polycounts down, and getting textures to work in game is beyond my ability now I'm old.
Once Ive completed my present route, i am going to finish an Aussie route and i will need some specific SA trees for that so i may give that blender plugin a go and see if i can make any sense of it.

my final thoughts , I wonder if NV3 will comment on this thread, it was 2020 when I last posed this question .
zec replied
Hi All
Unfortunately trees are a major issue for most games developers, and a LOT of money goes into this area in most cases. This is why companies such as IDV/SpeedTree have become so extensively used, as their tools allow for extremely good tree generation relatively easily (compared to trying to hand make the same tree in a 3D modelling tool, or trying to make billboards look like 3D trees).

Unfortunately, in modern gaming environments, flat planes for trees are exceedingly hard to handle without making them stick out like a sore thumb. This is why they do change when changes are made to the rendering methods/systems in Trainz. The more realistic you make the game engine, the more they look like flat/flattish planes.

In particular, if any shadowing is applied to a billboard tree, it suddenly looks poor due to the flat-plane nature being highlighted by the shadows. Shadows can be disabled on specific meshes, but it isn't currently possible to prevent a shadow being cast onto a mesh (and doing so may not work visually as you would now have shadows behind that mesh but not on it!).

The same applies to shading (ie if the surface is lit or unlit), as your light vs dark has a hard line.

Twisted billboards, as in Clam1952's trees, can make big steps toward mitigating some of this, but they are still effectively flat in nature. Unfortunately this means that the shading still shows up the flatness.

There are some possible options to work around this, but these can introduce major problems as well. Either for the creator, or for the visuals, or for everyone...

One is to remove all directional lighting from these objects; which is how billboards were handled in earlier releases. This however introduces a lot of issues with matching them with the surrounding environment, as surrounding objects (including other trees) may be lit by the sun and yet the billboard tree is only being lit by ambient light. There are also issues with other areas with this, including limited or no normals map ability, and a potential to break the PBR rendering (since ambient lit surfaces have different reflections to direct lit surfaces).

Following on from this is to reduce the directional lighting by adjusting the object's normals. This can allow you to change how the object appears to be lit (ie does the object act as if it is simply pointing upwards, rather than horizontally), but going too far with this can cause issues, such as it appearing too bright or too dark compared to surrounding objects. Finding the balance can be hard, but can produce helpful results.

Another is camera facing planes. This is used for SpeedTrees for their 'billboard' lowest LOD, and for leaf planes on some SpeedTrees up close. Unfortunately there's no option to use this outside of SpeedTrees. However camera facing planes can be extremely distracting on larger objects up close, as they all rotate to face toward the camera all the time (so as you move, the trees rotate/move in sync with you). Even on leaf planes on SpeedTrees it can sometimes be distracting IMO, but it is less so than the entire tree doing this. The 'JVC-BB' trees are an example of an entirely camera facing tree, and show mostly how this works (including issues with it rotating in the wrong axis).

Effectively this brings us to the fact that billboards are not natural or realistic objects, and in effect are going to work poorly the more realistic you make the rendering in the game. This leads to the need to move away from billboards, as has been occurring for the most part in Trainz. There are, of course, some object types that can benefit from billboards, in particular smaller bushes/shrubs/etc where the flatness is going to be less obvious, and of course they will be a necessity in the lower LODs of otherwise 3D objects.

Unfortunately this does mean that there needs to be a move toward 3D trees, either manually modeled (as some members have done over the last 11 years), or created with SpeedTree or other similar resources. Some tree generation tools may allow you to import a modelled/textured tree into Blender or 3DSMax, where you can then lower the poly count, and then create LODs for it.

That said, all is not lost. The trees that Tony mentioned are all TANE or TRS19 standard SpeedTrees, and work quite well from my experience. Not every tree will be suited to every route. And some creators have seen some good results mixing select billboard trees with SpeedTrees to fill out forests, especially beyond the initial tree line.

IMO it's probably also worth contacting creators to see if they will allow you to reskin their released SpeedTrees. Some may have a 'close enough' shape for a different type of tree by simply changing the bark textures and the leaf textures; you'd need to play with the colours in the billboard to match as well, but it doesn't need to be exact in most cases. Even making the leaf and/or bark textures lighter or darker can create new variants that may suit different environments better.

It's also not impossible to create seasonal variants from otherwise non seasonal trees, since seasons can be in their own individual folders. Although not as efficient, simply masking out the leaves in the alpha channel of a 'winter' variant of a tree can make a winter version without needing a new model.

Unfortunately it's not possible for N3V to make most of the content for Trainz. Art man hours are costly, and as such N3V does need to focus our time where it will get the most value. At times this has been foliage, but that will change depending on what is in development/planned/etc. For the most part, it is up to the community to development the majority of content, however N3V has worked with members of the community on various content projects, however unfortunately only a limited number have done this in relation to foaliage. However if members of the community were interested in working with N3V to develop further foaliage, they should contact the team to discuss this.

I know this isn't necessarily what people want to hear, but as a route builder and 3D artist, this isn't a simple issue with simple solutions. Trees, like I said, are one of the most difficult object types to get right in modern games.

Regards
Zec

this is the thread, https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...e-future-of-Trees-and-shrubs-for-Trainz/page4
We've made zero progress on this front in the past THREE YEARS , but I did learn from Clam 1952 how it mitigate the lighting problem in 2019 with the jvc /minky trees by revisiting the old thread.

once again , Malcolms expertise is sorely missed. :(

The challenge is that their is probably a lot of expertice out there that has never been shared. For example, how did Jan (jankvis) make his excellent vegetation and when he was unable to continue for what ever reason what happened to that expertise? If creators don't share, advancements will be slow. It's one thing to fight fires on the forum, that is, to answer specific questions on immediate issues a creator is having, and quite another to share the more extensive knowledge many creators have. The forum doesn't seem able to do that. What would happen if we were able to put our collective knowledge to the test and see what we could come up with even if it is to only identify the limitations. A quick surfing of the Internet shows that there are several programs that can generate vegetation, many even free or available for a small fee. Blender even has a built in tree generator, Sapling. If some billboards trees are better than others what makes them different?

As a creator I spend a lot of time recreating the wheel, often by laborious reverse engineering of assets on the DLS, which are not ideal because few creators are willing to share their files, e.g., Gmax or Blender.

What is needed is an ongoing sharing of information, what works, what doesn't. And if after the subject has been thoroughly explorered both through discussion and experimentation, what do we need to ask N3V to add to their program so the desired end result can be achieved by content creators?

Cayden

Hi Cayden,

We could do with a repository to share Blender/Max source files. That would help. I would be willing to upload mine, textures too.
Suggestions anyone?

John

Hi Cayden,

We could do with a repository to share Blender/Max source files. That would help. I would be willing to upload mine, textures too.
Suggestions anyone?

John

I can set a folder up on JATWS.org. PM me.

Have you uploaded anything to the DLS?

Thanks John

Hi All
Unfortunately, as I noted in a previous thread (and as was kindly copied by Dangavel above, as most of the information in that post is still relevant today so for those looking in this thread, I'd recommend having a read of it first), tree creation is not simple in games due to software and hardware limitations.

There are some minor technologies that we may be able to offer in the future, however these aren't exactly essential to tree development, they simply provide more flexibility for creators making trees. The problem is that very few people have been making trees for Trainz for quite some time, as the requirements from both a user stand point and a 'technology' stand point, have of course evolved.

There's a good reason why SpeedTree has become one of the industry standards for trees. They do it exceptionally well, and they pour an exceptional amount of money/time into that development. There are still a few other tools/processes (such as MegaScans assets, or the tree tools a few have noted above), but for a large part SpeedTree is a standard.

Unfortunately, it's also not exactly friendly to development in games that have a lot of modding, except for those using UnrealEngine, and modding for UE is quite limited. But there are very few other options that are suitable for the games industry these days. And of course the SpeedTree licenses were quite expensive at the time that we introduced SpeedTree, which did not help.

As it stands right now, we have two realistic options:
1) Continue to support SpeedTree 6, for those who can use it. For anyone else, you could use newer versions (or other software) to export FBX files to import into another modelling tool to then export to Trainz.
2) Drop support for SpeedTree 6, and upgrade to another version of SpeedTree. This would mean that any SpeedTree 6 trees would no longer work (as we saw with ST5 trees from TS2010/TS12), and of course for 'speedtree' based trees would require you to use speedtree to make the trees. Of course you could still make other trees as you can now.

Of these two options, we currently see 1 as being the best option to avoid losing any existing tree assets again. 2 would provide those willing to spend money on speedtree access with the ability to make trees using speedtree, but this would only be for as long as that version of speedtree remains available...

That's not to say that there aren't improvements possible. There are a few that we've looked at over time, such as clutterFX assets/materials, the ability for metadata files to bend normals upward for super low poly (billboard and similar) meshes with trainzmesh files, and potentially more to come with future development.

However a lot is simply going to be up to creators to make what they want/need (ie if you need a specific tree type not currently available, then you may either need to make it or find someone who can). We still make content for what is needed for internal development, but there are limits to how much we can put into this without taking away from other content development (ie simply spending a year developing trees and nothing else isn't going to work, but developing tree assets for routes being worked on for builtin does happen when necessary). It's worth remembering that 'code' development and 'content' development are separate teams, and there is a lot that both teams do to develop Trainz...

We are always open to suggestions for technologies that can be included in Trainz. There's no guarantee specific technologies will be included, but we generally do look into these to see if they are a possibility for future. Same for new material types or features that may help with this, even if there are limitations to these (ie fading between LODs on regular meshes is quite performance intensive, so is only offered on clutter meshes up to a particular poly count). But it has to be remembered that new features/technologies do take time to implement, and we are only a small team.

Right now, our team has been focused on HDTerrain, Trainz Living Railroad, GPU accelerated ClutterFX, DX12, and other things, alongside bug fixing, and other minor changes/updates/improvements along the way. What the future holds, well we'll have to see :) My point is that we tend to work primarily on one or two major thing at a time (with crossover, so that the next feature is in development as the first one gets closer to completion!). It's worth noting that we have focused more on development of features that anyone with an appropriate version of Trainz can access, as in they don't have to wait for creators to hopefully make content that uses it (as was the case with PBR). That way when you get your hand on the feature, you can basically get going with it straight away. That doesn't mean we won't provide new features/functions for creators to play with, we will (look at PBR for example), but we do weigh up new features for creators vs new features users can use straight away without waiting for creators.

So where does that leave us? Well, as has always been the case with Trainz, what is available will greatly depend on what creators make. If what you need isn't available, then you'll need to make it, or find someone to make it for you. This might simply be asking a friend who can help with content, or it might require you to find someone to commission it, or possibly looking through . We simply don't have the resources to make every bit of vegetation you'll want, so we focus primarily on what is needed for the routes we plan to include with each version of Trainz (within reason there as well).

There's also, of course, options for reskinning existing trees, so long as you obtain permission to release the reskins.

Apologies for the long post, however unfortunately trees are quite a complex topic when it comes to game art :)

Regards

Hi Zec, thanks for the information.

I would suggest that someone on the team take a look at E-onSoftware's Plantfactory as an alternative to SpeedTrees. There is a free demo available for anyone that is interested. I have no idea what would be required to get them to work with the E2 engine but the cost of a commercial license is a fraction of SpeedTrees.

https://info.e-onsoftware.com/plantfactory/overview

Wow! Yes, definitely worth pursuing! The catalogue is currently missing some obvious trees like Maple, Ash, and Douglas-fir, but what they have is far better than what is currently in the system.

That is definitely a possibility. Unfortunately, as you said, Forester1 there are no maples or ash trees but there are oaks, pines, and willows among other useful species.

Here's Xfrog, a tree generation program that has a nice array of realistic-looking trees. They're not inexpensive though but can be exported to various formats that can be processed through Blender.

Xfrog 3D Procedural Organic Modeling Software
XfrogPlants - 3D Trees and 3D Plants: Xfrog.com

A tree tutorial, using blender and the best blender tree plugin, is necessary for people like myself who have the desire to make trees but lack the time to learn blender from scratch, its so unfortunate that blender has such a high learning curve.

It has to cover tree creation ,step by step from start , right down to making the asset suitable for trainz use, as otherwise amateur 3d artistes just wont be able to complete the task and most of us don't have several months spare to learn the technology, unfortunately , my skills are sufficient to make reasonable minky/jvc billboards, but not to get stuck into 3d unless I have a step by step pathway to follow. I'd be prepared to chip into a fund for someone with the skills to create the tutorial, but by the look of it, judging by the fact that now JVC has left the hobby, there's nobody out there who has the skills to do the job .

I agree with Zec, we cant junk the existing speed trees as we are just going to encounter the same problem when they update the software , we have to get together as a group and work out some solution ourselves if NV3 aren't going to address the issue. If we let another three years go by with no new vegetation pathway we have only ourselves to blame in the long run.

Last edited:
That is definitely a possibility. Unfortunately, as you said, Forester1 there are no maples or ash trees but there are oaks, pines, and willows among other useful species.

Here's Xfrog, a tree generation program that has a nice array of realistic-looking trees. They're not inexpensive though but can be exported to various formats that can be processed through Blender.

i don't know how well these would work within trainz , what sort of poly counts do they create ?

but there's this to consider as well

" If this product is lawfully purchased then the contents are made available to you under license as an "End User" with use at your place of business.

If you wish to further distribute the content, e.g. models, textures or derivative models, or model parts, inside a game title; or use the library in any multi-user context; please contact us for distribution licensing. "

there may well be conflicts with NV3s terms of use and this firms terms of use as well as an extra cost if one used these assets and put them on the DLS.

Hi Zec, thanks for the information.

I would suggest that someone on the team take a look at E-onSoftware's Plantfactory as an alternative to SpeedTrees. There is a free demo available for anyone that is interested. I have no idea what would be required to get them to work with the E2 engine but the cost of a commercial license is a fraction of SpeedTrees.

https://info.e-onsoftware.com/plantfactory/overview

from what I read, to use in trainz , you need a professional or enterprise solution and that costs $75 a month, if one could use the creator option it would cost $19.95 a month, but i doubt that could be used if assets were placed for free distribution on the DLS . Either way its a rather pricey option for hobbyists.
[h=1]Professional Solutions[/h] [h=2]The right solution for productive professionals

The Professional Solution enables freelance artists and small to medium studios to create digital 3D environments for VFX, movies, gaming, and architectural visualization industries.
Let the power of procedural technology help you model, texture, render and export your scenes and assets with ease!
Dive into the solution that will help kickstart your creativity and productivity!
The Professional Solution includes VUE and PlantFactory.[/h]

There's a short simple answer to this. Just get everyone to join Trainz Plus, we employ more people, we fix more "problems" more quickly.

The longer answer is that not everyone will join, so we carry on with our small team, reinvesting into features we consider are both achievable with our resources and desirable. Currently that means focussing on terrain which has long been a "problem" due to the grid size.

In the background, we're working on raytracing - another "must have" to keep up with the industry standards.

And on it goes...

There's a short simple answer to this. Just get everyone to join Trainz Plus, we employ more people, we fix more "problems" more quickly.

The longer answer is that not everyone will join, so we carry on with our small team, reinvesting into features we consider are both achievable with our resources and desirable. Currently that means focussing on terrain which has long been a "problem" due to the grid size.

In the background, we're working on raytracing - another "must have" to keep up with the industry standards.

And on it goes...

On the other hand, if you invested say a week on getting a tutorial together to show how to make trees in blender using the plug in, the content creators would fix this deficit for you. You could see if users would club together to help defray the costs , or you could try and get an existing content creator to create some templates or a tutorial .

its been three years since I last brought up this issue with you, all we need is someone from NV3 to point the way for us so we can do the job for you since its a low priority.

Could we use these programs to make reasonably low poly items or not , will the user agreements with these companies pass muster if someone wants to put their products on the DLS given that you can use them yourselves if it takes your fancy ?

Could we prevail with JVC to return or to share his knowledge with the community ?

Would NV3 invite any of its contributing 3d modellers to make a new generation of trees in exchange for a year or a few years free use of the app etc?

I don't know if any of this is possible, but it seems like relatively low cost solutions that could benefit the entire community.

The Plant Catalog is made up of add-on plant species available for sale. Both PlantFactory and Vue come with builtin base models of more common plants. My Vue Complete 2016 has several species of maple and ash trees.

The problem with XFrog trees is that they are not designed for use in real time as in a game. They are designed for 3D software that produces animations for CGI. The license terms do not allow you to distribute the tree models themselves, just the images of them you generate.

Last edited:
Back