Best system for TRS22

Belzedar

I am purchasing a new computer. What are the recommended best specs for TRS22, especially for the graphics card.

I could find only the minimal specs.

Thanks!

There is no upper limit. For any machine configuration I can find a set of assets that will bring it to it's knees.

Having said that use https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

Middleton for laptops needs a 3D score of 350, the recommended minimum is 10,000 personally I might think in terms of an RTX 3070 TI as being not too bad. Once you get above 20,000 you get into diminishing returns and an RTX 4090 might have great performance but it needs cooling and feeding and that isn't as simple as it might sound. Things like DDR5 ram and lots of it, 32 gigs wouldn't go amiss.

Dell.com do have 4080 and 4090 machines and their systems are generally well thought out for power supply and cooling.

Cheerio John

Hi,
I’m running an older pc:-
Cpu i5 overclocked to 4.2 GHz,
cpu Rtx 2060
graphics at 1980x1240 (?) not 4k…
nVidia control centre limits to 60 fps (monitor refresh).
the performance is quite acceptable - just don’t set all parameters to Ultra.

later cpus and gpus should have an improved performance.

do make sure that you use a SSD for the TS22 and data - disc access time does make a difference.

Personally, I’d go for an Rtx 3060 and a modern cpu.
nVidia lets you use turf fx, other makes dont

I second the RTX 3060 for the price range. I Have it in a laptop and can run Trainz 22 on all settings at the highest.

You might want to see if you have an NVME sdd drive for its extra disk transfer speed for Trainz.
I had to buy a small flex cable adapter to house it in my old Dell 7010 desktop but it sure help feed the GPU faster and improve overall performance.

Cheers,
wmm1216

It is not necessary to look for a good system, but to optimize the game well, and in this regard, Trainz has always spent all the resources of the computer, no matter how many there are. The game has no normal optimization for its entire existence.

I also wanted to jump in and point something out. I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop that I run trainz on, and I do have issues with overheating when running Trainz on higher settings. However, the RTX2060 GPU in my laptop has never been the issue - it runs perfectly fine at nearly all settings. The real limiting issue for me has always been my CPU temperature, which tends to climb dramatically if I set my graphics too high. That may just be an issue caused by using a laptop, I honestly don't know, but I do know that your GPU is likely not going to be the limiting factor - the bottleneck is more likely to be in your CPU, either due to temperature or data speed limitations. IIRC, Trainz doesn't really support multi-core CPUs very well, so that could be one cause of the issue.

When I bought my last PC (above), I knew I was going to use an overclocked cpu for Trainz. I specified water cooling and a good pc case with 3 fan cooling.
The stock cpu coolers don’t really manage a full-on CPU running for hours!
Previously, I burnt out a cpu running trs 2006 - that version used the cpu harder than the gpu - trs 22 is significantly better is using the gpu, reducing the load on the cpu.

I’d suggest you find a pc builder and customise the build - alternatively, buy the components and self assemble! It’s not that difficult.
Try to use quality components - specially motherboard, cpu, cpu cooler, power supply, memory.

ColPrice, that is very useful information to know on all counts. I'm glad that TRS22 has improved the CPU loading issue, among the many other improvements that will hopefully be coming in future - maybe I'll be able to run it on my laptop with less issue then TRS19 once I finally decide to upgrade. I myself have an old gaming desktop that is several years old and isn't up to modern spec, but it has a great fan setup, so once I really feel the need to upgrade to a better PC, I can just tear out most of the outdated internals and use the frame to build a custom PC. I count myself as being rather fortunate in that regard.

Back