Trainz Plus Beta update - PC# 121380 & Mac# 121370

I know about those in TransDEM. I can’t think of a way for N3V to add all that in. TransDEM does a lot of things to make it easier for us.

We have this wonderful new capability but 3rd party tools will not be able to adapt to it. N3V will not release any information on internal formats, there is no intermediate formats, TNI doesn’t cover surveyor, and the file formats keep changing. My opinion is 3rd party software is going to die out in most cases.

I have spent hours this weekend trying to decipher HD Terrain just for the basic height. I have ideas, but I don’t know how many more hours it will take. The previous 5/10m mapfile_x_y.gnd was at least understandable for the height points, although I have to figure out the edges between the baseboards.

Sorry, I got in to this as I realized my request for DEM import is only part of the needed solution.

Don't be sorry. It's sad that N3V won't release that information to third-party developers such as Dr. Ziegler who could update his flagship program to handle the latest data formats. They could do it I suppose under license like many developers do but sadly they do not. Tony, to his credit did mention that they may consider doing direct DEM support but who knows when. It would be nice if they partnered with Dr. Ziegler and integrated TransDEM capabilities within the program.

N3V never offered direct support for anything like the tiles and that's done through scenery objects like the basemaps. This has its advantages and disadvantages, but it works.

The ground structure is different in HD terrain from what I understand. N3V for one got rid of the edge of the baseboards and the terrain is tessellated to add in the additional faces and increase the resolution. If they did it right, this could be applied to areas where needed instead of globally on a baseboard or route basis. Imagine tessellating just an area near a ravine or mountain slope to increase resolution there and nowhere else unless it's needed. That I think would be much more efficient overall.

Except for the know issues which are being addressed, the current build, at least for me, seems to be pretty stable for the new features and running existing routes.

I am running the beta build in a separate download of Trainz so all my existing routes and sessions are preserved. My question is this. If i want to proceed and make some changes and upgrade several of my routes using the beta version can i assume that these will be good when the final update is released? Or am I just stuck with trying out new stuff and assume that everything I do in the beta version will be lost in the final release?

i know the conventional wisdom has always been that anything you do in a beta should be considered as expendable. But I’m ready to get on with it and make some changes to several of my routes using some of the new features.

Any words of wisdom?

Been doing reading and trying to figure things out. Since each baseboard is 720m x 720m, and each segment is 0.125m, giving 5,760 segments per side, giving a total of [FONT=&quot]33,177,600. Each baseboard main file is less than 1meg. If the HD terrain used three bytes as per point, the main terrain file would be at least 100 megs, and that is per baseboard. So the compression is understandable, even if it isn’t easy to figure out. The 5m & 10m used three bytes per point that wasn’t zero height plus delimitation bytes. HD Terrain wouldn’t be possible without compression. Having this many points, is likely why textures are limited to 16.

I still have to figure out how the compression works. [/FONT]

i know the conventional wisdom has always been that anything you do in a beta should be considered as expendable. But I’m ready to get on with it and make some changes to several of my routes using some of the new features.

Any words of wisdom?

Having been burnt once by doing exactly that several years ago with a beta version ("what could possibly go wrong?" :hehe:), I admire your courage but will not copy your example with the current beta. The introduction of HD terrain is far too big a change for me to risk using the beta for my projects. I will wait until the "final" version is released.

My words of wisdom.

Last edited:
Some confusion here. From my observations...

First, your two maps views (Ctrl+M) are not at the same scale so it is not a fair comparison.

Second, in both map views (old and new) the switches blur out at about the same distance.

Third, I have never been able to set the switches in map view in any version of Trainz so I do not know what you are talking about there.

Hi PWare,

I think the confusion was HPL was talking about the Driver map "M", and you appear to think he is referring to the Surveyor mini-map (control-M).

Back