Floating tracks at roundhouse?

CofG509

I have the EBT roundhouse from the DLS. The tracks around the turntable going into the roundhouse are floating a smidgen off the ground. What's the best way to fix this?

You need to show us exactly what's going on . Sounds like like the tracks been detached or wasn't completed ? But more info is needed to help .

Matt

I'd try making sure the ground is completely level all the way around the RH and even extended out a little.
The only other option off the top of my head is to sink the whole RH and track just a smidgen after leveling the ground.

You need to provide a picture of the asset plus the KUID so we can take a look at it ourselves if we have to.

I've seen floating track due to the really thin ancient paper track that was common on old assets. If that's the case, you can replace the track with something else but there's no way of knowing unless you supply the pics and KUID.

<KUID2:210518:10514:2>

EBT roundhouse by bendorsey. All the tracks don't sit flush to the ground. When the Mrs. relinquishes the pc I'll try to get a screenshot.

Having worked with all of Bendorsey's roundhouses . I haven't had any issues with track placements . But I have run into tracks not being connected due to uneven ground . And as stated before when tracks spine isn't connected but looked as thought it was . Has given the effect of floating when restarting your SIM and route .

Is this your own work ? A route on the DLS ? Or from a third party ?

The fix on my part was fairly easy . just redo the track or spine and save

Matt

I don't know what is causing the issue, but every NG roundhouse and turntable I have looked at and tried to use has had this problem. I am using Surveyor 2. The ground for the roundhouse and turntable is all set flat. The track on teh turntable floats, too.

It's the way the were made in the first place, there is nothing wrong with what you see.
If you wish to avoid this gap, try a track that has a ballast element or try a non track ballast spline to compensate.
Cheers, evilcrow

Good question. I don't know. However, I did just take a piece of ground and flatten it and put out several roundhouses with turntables and try several different textures and don't see any changes. (Note, this is some SG and some NG.) I also left one on the default green texture. Te tracks all still float above the ground, above the roundhouse floors and above the ground plate around the turn table.

Good question. I don't know. However, I did just take a piece of ground and flatten it and put out several roundhouses with turntables and try several different textures and don't see any changes. (Note, this is some SG and some NG.) I also left one on the default green texture. Te tracks all still float above the ground, above the roundhouse floors and above the ground plate around the turn table.

The default green texture is a PBR texture. PBR, or parallax-based-rendering has a 3d-component to it making the textures deeper. The problem with PBR textures is that they don't mix well if at all with normal 2d textures that were used in the past. Try placing some non-PBR ballast or grass under the roundhouse and see if that helps. If it does work, you can continue to do that or the alternative is to adjust your Texture detail settings to standard on the performance panel located under Trainz settings on the launcher. The advantage of doing this is that there is no longer a conflict between PBR and older textures, but the disadvantage is you lose the 3d-effect for ballast, farms and other bumpy textures that have plants and grass in them.

OK. I have tried older, lower res, obviously flat textures (some of them being the recommended match with some of the older content) and nothing changes. I did make myself a small engine house and found that moving the attachment point to a Z of -0.1 made the rails look right. Possible problem with rendering in Trainz22?

OK, I turned texture detail down to Normal and that didn't change anything either. All the track still floats.

OK. I have tried older, lower res, obviously flat textures (some of them being the recommended match with some of the older content) and nothing changes. I did make myself a small engine house and found that moving the attachment point to a Z of -0.1 made the rails look right. Possible problem with rendering in Trainz22?

OK, I turned texture detail down to Normal and that didn't change anything either. All the track still floats.

It's the track used on the roundhouse asset. Some track just plain floats above the surface due to how it's constructed. You need something with better/deeper sleepers to dig into the ground.

There's an easy way to replace it by using the Bulk replace assets to update the track with something that my work better. I replaced some track that way on one of my routes with RRTK bridge track which looks fine and doesn't float above the surface.

The other way is to clone the roundhouse and update the track in the configuration file (config.txt). This will then be your roundhouse that can't be uploaded to the DLS without permission from the original author.

The problem though is that some roundhouse assets cannot be fixed no matter what due to where the original track was positioned in the first place.

Last edited:
It's the track used on the roundhouse asset. Some track just plain floats above the surface due to how it's constructed. You need something with better/deeper sleepers to dig into the ground.

There's an easy way to replace it by using the Bulk replace assets to update the track with something that my work better. I replaced some track that way on one of my routes with RRTK bridge track which looks fine and doesn't float above the surface.

The other way is to clone the roundhouse and update the track in the configuration file (config.txt). This will then be your roundhouse that can't be uploaded to the DLS without permission from the original author.

The problem though is that some roundhouse assets cannot be fixed no matter what due to where the original track was positioned in the first place.

Thank you. I've cloned some other assets and changed the track already. I'll start experimenting with the NG track and see what might work. Options there are a bit limited but it's worth a shot.

Back