The best computer build for Trainz content creation

ettore48

Hithere.

I'mlooking for advice about how to build a real good computer forcreating contents for Trainz (2019 or 2022) and I would like to havesuggestions about:

CPU
GPU
Ram(Type and size)
SSD(Type and size)

I'm presently using a Ryzen 7 5800X CPU on a X570 motherboard with 16Gb of DDR4 3430Mhz Ram on a PCIe M2 Gen 3 2tb SSD and I'm quite happywith it.

Theweak point is the GPU. Presently an old Sapphire RX580 8gb.

Iuse a Samsung 27 inches 4k (3880 x 2160 pixel) monitor.

Regarding the software Iuse Gmax (but I would like to switch to 3DS) and I use differentgraphic processing software for the textures.

Iwould like to have more pixel to work with, a 5k should be thechoice, but I presume the GPU isn't ready for this.

Mypreferences goes to AMD/Radeon components, but I recognize thatTrainz isn't optimized for these hardware.

Idon't play with Trainz so much. I use it only for testing the thingsI put together, but I use extensively several utilities and Gmax forbuilding contents.

Suggestions?

Thanks and bye ALMorgan

Last edited:
Hithere.

I'mlooking for advice about how to build a real good computer forcreating contents for Trainz (2019 or 2022) and I would like to havesuggestions about:

CPU
GPU
Ram(Type and size)
SSD(Type and size)

I'm presently using a Ryzen 7 5800X CPU on a X570 motherboard with 16Gb of DDR4 3430Mhz Ram on a PCIe M2 Gen 3 2tb SSD and I'm quite happywith it.

Theweak point is the GPU. Presently an old Sapphire RX580 8gb.

Iuse a Samsung 27 inches 4k (3880 x 2160 pixel) monitor.

Regarding the software Iuse Gmax (but I would like to switch to 3DS) and I use differentgraphic processing software for the textures.

Iwould like to have more pixel to work with, a 5k should be thechoice, but I presume the GPU isn't ready for this.

Mypreferences goes to AMD/Radeon components, but I recognize thatTrainz isn't optimized for these hardware.

Idon't play with Trainz so much. I use it only for testing the thingsI put together, but I use extensively several utilities and Gmax forbuilding contents.

Suggestions?

Thanks and bye ALMorgan

Good morning,

Quick question here, do use Blender at all in your projects?

Hi there.

No,I don't use Blender. The switch from Gmax to Blender is to difficult for me. I made some test in the past. The behavior is too different and I'll prefer to retain the experiences made in the past.

Best ALMorgan

Hi there.

No,I don't use Blender. The switch from Gmax to Blender is to difficult for me. I made some test in the past. The behavior is too different and I'll prefer to retain the experiences made in the past.

Best ALMorgan

Thank you for your input, that makes perfect sense. ;)

Take care. :wave:

For 4k, an RTX 3080 or the RX 6800xt would be the best price-to-performance GPU. You also have the 3090 and 6900XT, as well as the RTX 40XX or RT 79XX, so the question really is what is your budget?

Your target audience will probably have a 1920 by 1080 screen, i5 or equivalent and a GPU of 10,000 3d score.

https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php so your video card at 9,000 is fine.

Take a look at Blender, there is more experience in the forum and whatever software you use you'll only need about 5% of its features. Working out which 5% is the problem and that's where the trainz specific tutorials fit in.

Cheerio John

I build Trainz models in gmax also on a 4 year old AMD ryzen 7 2700x with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti
this is more than enough
Have 3 27inch monitors side by side when I model

you can click to enlarge
On the left I have the Edit UV screen, middle the main program and right for pics and info
greetings GM

Ram 32gb +32gb virtual
HDD's
-2T 980pro SSD.m2 NVMe (this has windows, the virtual memory and all trainz data folders)
-2T standard HD 10k rpm (program files and storage)

Last edited:
Back