Forests

Fierogt87

Addicted to TranzDEM
What do you all do for making nice random forests? I'm not very good at doing things randomly, nor am I much of an artist, so it's tough for me to do stuff like this.

I think it might be nice if the placement tool could be set to randomly place items from a pick list, could make a picklist with a range of different trees and just pop them down, or even make it able to spray paint trees! :)

A lot of folks create a patch of trees of the type and numbers they want for the forest, and then copy and paste, adding rotations so that it doesn't look obvious.

You can do what Forester1 suggested which I have done many times. But there are other ways you might try.

In Classic or S2.0: Tools/Add random scenery. It has its own picklist to contain the trees you want. Select the area, press start, they appear randomly, press stop when you want.

In S2.0 (which you have): Create a small area with your forest including textures. I suggest the number of species be limited - you are not trying to create an arboretum. Five or less seems reasonable to me.

Select the area and copy. Now this selection appears in the scrapbook (make it pinned if you want). Now go to the filters and change "ground height" to "none" because you don't want to paste the height obviously. You can change splines to "none" to avoid destroying roads or track already placed. Now go to tools, select the brush, change "ground height" to "scrapbook data". Change "scrapbook clone" to "scrapbook brush." Adjust tool/options/radius from the default 20m to something a bit larger. You can also change the shape from round to square if you want.

And you are ready to plant forests (including textures) wherever.

Last edited:
You can do what Forester1 suggested which I have done many times. But there are other ways you might try.

In Classic or S2.0: Tools/Add random scenery. It has its own picklist to contain the trees you want. Select the area, press start, they appear randomly, press stop when you want.

In S2.0 (which you have): Create a small area with your forest including textures. I suggest the number of species be limited - you are not trying to create an arboretum. Five or less seems reasonable to me.

Select the area and copy. Now this selection appears in the scrapbook (make it pinned if you want). Now go to the filters and change "ground height" to "none" because you don't want to paste the height obviously. You can change splines to "none" to avoid destroying roads or track already placed. Now go to tools, select the brush, change "ground height" to "scrapbook data". Change "scrapbook clone" to "scrapbook brush." Adjust tool/options/radius from the default 20m to something a bit larger. You can also change the shape from round to square if you want.

And you are ready to plant forests (including textures) wherever.

Wow! How did I miss this? I couldn't find it in S20, But it is there is S10. is it possible it's somewhere else in S20?

zzHIWRz.png

I couldn't find it in S20, But it is there is S10. is it possible it's somewhere else in S20?

No, along with Bulk Asset Update/Replace, it is currently missing from S20 but that may (hopefully) change in a future quarterly Trainz Plus update.

In the meantime the Scrapbook, as mentioned by Schweitzerdude, is a viable option. Information/instruction on using the Scrapbook and its various options can be found at:-

https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_S20_Tools#Scrapbook_Data for painting/pasting a Scrapbook, and

https://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_S20_Tools#Scrapbook_Operations for creating a Scrapbook.

Back