Sea Level

rhban

I think it was established in an earlier discussion, that it is not possible to determine the water level, but obviously to see water, the level you set has to higher than the land. I had been working on -15 for the land under the sea and -9 for the water level - numbers picked totally arbitrarily - and of course there were some changes up-river.
Anyhow, all was going well - I thought I had more or less finished landscaping and was concentrating on my routes, when I noticed that there appeared to be land, in fact a long cliff, at the edges of my ocean.
With trial and error, I have finally set my sea level to 2. It is not totally satisfactory as the sea still appears to slope upwards at the edges, but it isn't too noticeable at a distance. I must now check how much land has been inundated - shouldn't be too bad, as most of my coastal land was at 5 because, under the old system, where we either had water or not and couldn't alter the levels, I found it started to "bleed" into the land at anything below 3.
Have other people noticed the "sea cliff"? How have you handled it?

It is not a cliff but the gap left between the water level and the ground level at the edges of the baseboards. I use a sea background spline or object lowered to fill the gap as required.

Not a gap. I can see the level of water rising up close to the edge. Now I have raised my effect layer level, I have got such a slight slope that I can't see it from a distance, but with my old levels, it really was a vertical cliff.

Was ____| now ____/

On my route my sea level is actually -98 meters. The wall of water you see is the edge of your sea going back up to the default set of the water level. In surveyor 2.0 go to the levels panel on the left and right click your water layer. Click edit effect layer. A pop up window will show. Click the toggle lever on the upper right portion of the pop up. This opens the advanced options. This is where you can set the default level for the water layer. I set mine to -200 in case I needed it that low for later. I could have set it for just under the level of my ocean. Your walls of water will disappear. There will still be a small gap along some edges for reasons unknown. You can also set your water type. (calm, choppy, etc.) Not sure what height binding settings do. If you know, please share.

Jack

On my route my sea level is actually -98 meters. The wall of water you see is the edge of your sea going back up to the default set of the water level. In surveyor 2.0 go to the levels panel on the left and right click your water layer. Click edit effect layer. A pop up window will show. Click the toggle lever on the upper right portion of the pop up. This opens the advanced options. This is where you can set the default level for the water layer. I set mine to -200 in case I needed it that low for later. I could have set it for just under the level of my ocean. Your walls of water will disappear. There will still be a small gap along some edges for reasons unknown. You can also set your water type. (calm, choppy, etc.) Not sure what height binding settings do. If you know, please share.

Jack

I will certainly investigate that, although I am already using "rippled", which may have come from an effect that came with the game before I 'messed' with it. Thanks for the tip.

Back