any interest in a fund to commission 1880's/90s US standard gauge locos ?

dangavel

Is there any interest out there to create a fund to commission 1880's/90s US standard gauge locos ? Baldwins or Schenectady are the most obvious candidates.
I ask as there are very, very few, the only one I've found is Ben Neals ancient NP 2-8-0 and that is looking a little tired . I would be prepared to chuck in $500 Australian dollars ( or US $500 for an overseas modeller ) to commissioning a generic consolidation and a 4-6-0 that could be modified and reskinned to allow them to be customized to suit various roads. Or I would have no objection to the modeller producing variations and charging for them.
Are there any other folks interested in contributing and more importantly , are there any capable modellers who would care to take on such a subject ?

Dan, it might be worth having a chat with the guys at Trainz Forge as they are the group most likely to have something like that in the works or planned for the future.
cheers
Graeme

Dan,
In the two decades between 1880 and 1900, TF has the following offerings:
CP/SP class BA/S-1 0-6-0 (Schenectady, 1888-1893 and as running under SP, after 1896)
CP class DF 4-6-0 (CP Sacramento, models currently released are 1882-1886, and a version suitable for 1891-1896 is in game)
CM class 91 0-6-0 (Schenectady, 1887 and after renumbering, 1888)
V&T Baldwin 4-4-0s (modeled variants include 1880s "generics", 1891-1893 rebuilds, and 1898 driver brake fittings)
(Payware) RGW class 21S (1897, 1902, and 1910s)
As a fringe, although the models thus released date to 1905-1907, the Tonopah Road 2-8-0s are of the popular Baldwin 10-38E series. Their particular drawing, drawing 20, began in 1900; however, engines of the same size began being developed around 1896, incidentally around the same time forward-thinking roads such as SP and PRR adopted knuckles as standard on all new equipment.
These are all simply things that already are publicly available; most of them have been uploaded to the Download Station. Naturally the uses are somewhat limited, but that's the nature of steam modeling in general. More will be forthcoming with time.
Since I'm used to being the one asked for stuff like this, I wouldn't likely chip in to a fund; however, if anyone is willing and able to help do more turn of the century equipment, I am more than willing to put my resources at their disposal.

Dan,
CP/SP class BA/S-1 0-6-0 (Schenectady, 1888-1893 and as running under SP, after 1896)
CP class DF 4-6-0 (CP Sacramento, models currently released are 1882-1886, and a version suitable for 1891-1896 is in game)
V&T Baldwin 4-4-0s (modeled variants include 1880s "generics", 1891-1893 rebuilds, and 1898 driver brake fittings)
As a fringe, although the models thus released date to 1905-1907, the Tonopah Road 2-8-0s are of the popular Baldwin 10-38E series. Their particular drawing, drawing 20, began in 1900; however, engines of the same size began being developed around 1896, incidentally around the same time forward-thinking roads such as SP and PRR adopted knuckles as standard on all new equipment.
These are all simply things that already are publicly available; most of them have been uploaded to the Download Station. Naturally the uses are somewhat limited, but that's the nature of steam modeling in general. More will be forthcoming with time.
Since I'm used to being the one asked for stuff like this, I wouldn't likely chip in to a fund; however, if anyone is willing and able to help do more turn of the century equipment, I am more than willing to put my resources at their disposal.
That's a fine offer ,
, I'm aware of what Trainzforge offers and its excellent , there are consolidation engines there that could stand in for what I need, but unfortunately their tenders are the wrong configuration. However I forgot about the CP D10 I'll have a go at modding that for use on the Colorado Midland and will see if I can mod the tender to work with the other 2-8-0s you guys have created. Thanks for nudging my tired brain into first gear !

I had a another look at the 2-8-0s on offer at Tranzforge and found that the T&G 52 was almost a dead ringer for the Colorado Midland 136 and 159 class . I cant get the asset to include three numbers . The 159 class were 201-204, but the 36 class were numbers 49 to 54 and in that case it works just fine. thanks Dan !
I may also be able to get the CP 4-6-0-s to work too , substituting the tenders with an older tender by Ben Neal works fairly well,however I'll need to try and make them a bit less glossy to work with his tender as well as attempting to get a better match to the Colorado midland font .
cRjv4Pf.jpg

However my offer still stands to anyone who wishes to have a go at making a CM 4-6-0, 2-8-0 or CM rolling stock/buildings as I do wish to eventually make a 50 mile section of this fabled and unfortunate route and i will never get round to learning how to make any of these in 3d. .

I don't know if they would be of interest to you but TF also has the excellent CB&Q R-1 Prairies. They date from 1900 but they are lovely models.

I don't know if they would be of interest to you but TF also has the excellent CB&Q R-1 Prairies. They date from 1900 but they are lovely models.
They are indeed, but none of the std gauge routes I'm modelling used prairies, the RGW set from trainz forge is excellent value , as they include a coach set as well all for $7.50 ( although by the time it was converted into au dollars it's nearer $12) but still great value. It's strange K & L have no D&RG items at all or any generic Baldwin consolidations that can be repainted, I suppose they either aren't keen on that road or no one has commissioned any of those items.

You'll find when it comes to Payware there are lots of hoops to jump through for lots of different (even defunct) roads.

I know this is about standard gauge but any chances of you doing some more narrow gauge steam? Specifically White Pass & Yukon's 70 and 190 class Mikados? You guys do great work and bet these would look marvelous.
Dan,

I know this is about standard gauge but any chances of you doing some more narrow gauge steam? Specifically White Pass & Yukon's 70 and 190 class Mikados? You guys do great work and bet these would look marvelous.

If you mean #70 and #192, my cousin is the attraction manager at Dollywood and I know that they will be eventually made for another railroading video game: Railroads Online, which a YouTuber I follow, who's known as Hyce, was previously a member of Railroads Online Dev Team, though he's no longer a member of the dev team. I know that trainboi01 has made some content for Railroads Online and I'm hoping that we'll get a port of the WP&Y 2-8-2's. And yes, I really want a model of Dollywood's steamers, especially since I'm going up there this Spring Break. Hyce's Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@Hyce777

If you mean #70 and #192, my cousin is the attraction manager at Dollywood and I know that they will be eventually made for another railroading video game: Railroads Online, which a YouTuber I follow, who's known as Hyce, was previously a member of Railroads Online Dev Team, though he's no longer a member of the dev team. I know that trainboi01 has made some content for Railroads Online and I'm hoping that we'll get a port of the WP&Y 2-8-2's. And yes, I really want a model of Dollywood's steamers, especially since I'm going up there this Spring Break. Hyce's Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@Hyce777

Yes I play Railroads Online too and have been eagerly awaiting those two WP&Y locomotives. Those are my favorite narrow gauge of all time followed by #19 at Sumter Valley.

Yes I play Railroads Online too and have been eagerly awaiting those two WP&Y locomotives. Those are my favorite narrow gauge of all time followed by #19 at Sumter Valley.
With all due respect, Can you guys take this elsewhere? This supposed to be thread regarding STANDARD gauge 1880/90s locos for TRAINZ , there are already a huge number of NG engines available already , the paucity is in the standard gauge area, why don't you go ask trainboi to consider those engines on his own thread , but I think you will find he is already busy with many projects , if the offer of $ 500 + doesn't tempt him why do you think he would add more items to his already lengthy list? I suggest you reskin other items as I have and just make do with close looking substitutes .

With all due respect, Can you guys take this elsewhere? This supposed to be thread regarding STANDARD gauge 1880/90s locos for TRAINZ , there are already a huge number of NG engines available already , the paucity is in the standard gauge area, why don't you go ask trainboi to consider those engines on his own thread , but I think you will find he is already busy with many projects , if the offer of $ 500 + doesn't tempt him why do you think he would add more items to his already lengthy list? I suggest you reskin other items as I have and just make do with close looking substitutes .

Well I apologize for whatever and meant no disrespect. No there aren't plenty of ng locos compared to standard gauge. Trainzforge was brought up in the topic and I know they have made a few ng locos so I thought I'd make what i thought was a harmless mention here. Sorry to have ruffled your feathers.

Well I apologize for whatever and meant no disrespect. No there aren't plenty of ng locos compared to standard gauge. Trainzforge was brought up in the topic and I know they have made a few ng locos so I thought I'd make what i thought was a harmless mention here. Sorry to have ruffled your feathers.
Once a thread goes off topic then it becomes pretty much worthless , there are many examples of turn of the century and early 20th century ng engines, I know because I have them installed,Ben Neal , Togog and trainboi have made a pretty representative selection although there is always room for more .

There are very few standard gauge Us engines if the 1880s/ 90s , which is why I tried to commission some, there is no interest in this so the thread might as well be closed . Can moderators close it please, as no one has come forth to offer anything .

Your indignant reply has once more demonstrated how easy it is to go off topic with us arguing about the issue, which is a total waste of time . Like I said , if you want specific engines go start your own thread , I can guarantee it will get hijacked and go off topic just like this one has.

Back