Reskinning touch ups on steam locomotive?

CofG509

I'm wanting to just replace the logo and remove the pinstriping on a steam locomotive so I'm not going to be changing the overall color. Is it as simple as opening the file I need and color over the pinstriping and pasting a new logo on it and merely saving or will I need to do the save as steps? Also this locomotive itself is already reskin of another.

Normally, a reskin is a "simple" matter of finding which texture file (there may be several) is the one you have to edit, load it into a graphics editor, do the edit, save and then submit the edit in CM. All my reskins have been like that. Obviously, you do this on a clone of the original, never on the original itself (unless you really like pain).

Having said all that, if you have not performed a reskin before it can be a mystery as to which parts of the texture file have to be repainted. The loco is a 3D object and the texture, or the "skin", is a flat 2D surface that is wrapped around it - very much like a bear skin rug. Matching up the parts of the texture file to the corresponding parts of the loco can be tricky.

The logo itself may be part of a different texture file.

Be prepared to experiment.

My experiences anyway.

Normally, a reskin is a "simple" matter of finding which texture file (there may be several) is the one you have to edit, load it into a graphics editor, do the edit, save and then submit the edit in CM. All my reskins have been like that. Obviously, you do this on a clone of the original, never on the original itself (unless you really like pain).

Having said all that, if you have not performed a reskin before it can be a mystery as to which parts of the texture file have to be repainted. The loco is a 3D object and the texture, or the "skin", is a flat 2D surface that is wrapped around it - very much like a bear skin rug. Matching up the parts of the texture file to the corresponding parts of the loco can be tricky.

The logo itself may be part of a different texture file.

Be prepared to experiment.

My experiences anyway.

I have found the texture file I want to edit and yes I have cloned it. As far as the logo I'm thinking I may can just paint over the existing logo with the engines color and just paste my logo in its place since the logo is on the same file as the body I'm wanting to edit.

Last edited:
I have found the texture file I want to edit and yes I have cloned it. As far as the logo I'm thinking I may can just paint over the existing logo with the engines color and just paste my logo in its place since the logo is on the same file as the body I'm wanting to edit.

That sounds like a workable plan.

Back