Changing track textures??

CofG509

In the Eagle River route they use a track called CR45 spur 2. The ties are sunk below the ballast/ dirt. I would like to make some 3ft narrow gauge track like that. How would I go about doing that if possible?

You don't need Blender to change the ballast textures. For the older, non-Pro-Track, you can simply change the ballast texture to one you like by updating the ballast texture file. Pro-Track is modified similarly by updating the ballast texture file located in the track library. I've done this create various track types.

You don't need Blender to change the ballast textures. For the older, non-Pro-Track, you can simply change the ballast texture to one you like by updating the ballast texture file. Pro-Track is modified similarly by updating the ballast texture file located in the track library. I've done this create various track types.

The track I'm wanting to retexture is some procedural 3ft narrow gauge track.

The track I'm wanting to retexture is some procedural 3ft narrow gauge track.

You'll need to find the library that has the ballast textures. Find another texture you like and replace it with that. If it's PBR, then I don't know what to do from there. The track I modified wasn't PBR.

When you say find the library are you talking in config text files?
You'll need to find the library that has the ballast textures. Find another texture you like and replace it with that. If it's PBR, then I don't know what to do from there. The track I modified wasn't PBR.

When you say find the library are you talking in config text files?

Yes,

The library is referenced in the config.txt file. You then need to look up that KUID in Content Manager and open that asset for editing in Explorer to have access to the textures.

Before you do any of this, I recommend cloning the track and the KUID for the track textures.

You then replace the original KUID in your config.txt file twice by replacing the original KUID for the texture library you are editing with your own one for the library, once in the text string in the container and once in the KUID-table.

You lost me. "Text String In The Container" and "Kuid Table". Is this basically the same process as when I swap whistles on locos around? If so, I only replace the kuid in one spot and not two. What am I overlooking?
Yes,

The library is referenced in the config.txt file. You then need to look up that KUID in Content Manager and open that asset for editing in Explorer to have access to the textures.

Before you do any of this, I recommend cloning the track and the KUID for the track textures.

You then replace the original KUID in your config.txt file twice by replacing the original KUID for the texture library you are editing with your own one for the library, once in the text string in the container and once in the KUID-table.

Last edited:
You lost me. "Text String In The Container" and "Kuid Table". Is this basically the same process as when I swap whistles on locos around? If so, I only replace the kuid in one spot and not two. What am I overlooking?

That's pretty much it.

I recommend reading through the Wiki to understand the terminology. tags contain single references which are numbers, or text strings. The numbers can be real, whole, or binary, i.e., 1 or 0.

Containers start and end with curly brackets. {,} and they can be nested inside of each other, thus a container. There's a lot more information on the Wiki that'll help you to better understand this stuff.

That's pretty much it.

I recommend reading through the Wiki to understand the terminology. tags contain single references which are numbers, or text strings. The numbers can be real, whole, or binary, i.e., 1 or 0.

Containers start and end with curly brackets. {,} and they can be nested inside of each other, thus a container. There's a lot more information on the Wiki that'll help you to better understand this stuff.

Gotcha. Thanks

One last question. You said replace it twice so will it be the same kuid placed in two different places or two different kuids, one for each place?

Yes. You need to put your updated KUID - the one for the track library in the container and also in the kuid-table.

The reason is the one the container is the string to do the work while the one in the kuid-table is the reference to the asset. This is the same as what you need to do for a horn or engine sound replacement.

Yes. You need to put your updated KUID - the one for the track library in the container and also in the kuid-table.

The reason is the one the container is the string to do the work while the one in the kuid-table is the reference to the asset. This is the same as what you need to do for a horn or engine sound replacement.

Gotcha. Thanks for the help. Very much appreciated.

Back