Passenger train won't load or unload passengers

rhban

Does anyone know about TGV PSE Blue & Silver, the driving car of which is <kuid2:38270:34:1>? It and none of its related cars appear to load or unload, which is a pity since otherwise it's a nice train except for having no insides.
I keep looking for for fast electric trains with the kind of acceleration I see in real life trains that I use, but those that I find on DLS seem to
- have top speeds below 130 kph or artificially imposed limits so that the travel at 80-90% of the posted speed limit
- have poor acceration
- have nothing inside the shell apart from the driver's cab

Of those I have found, some haven't been updated to trs22 standards or they just don't meet my criteria. There is a nice German DB train with very nice comfy seats, but that has one of those silly speed limits.

Took me a while to even notice this because it stops for about the usual length of time at stations, but I finally realised that nobody was leaving the platform or appearing on it.

kinda related but kinda unrelated, i just got the game today and idk if its my fault or the game or what (im still very much learning) but yea i cant seem to get the loading thing to work either. freight or otherwise. maybe its cause im in edited quickdrive/mps sessions? but yea.... tried assembling and using a train of the rocky mountaineer train stuff that appears to come with the game but ive parked next to those little green station buildings that seem to have people on but it dont seem to load.

This is way beyond my version (I'm at TS2009) but things you might try - (1) be sure your train has passengers aboard by viewing "details" (I think they now appear as glowing text above the traincar, used to be a browser window) (2) be sure the passengers you're carrying are the same kind as what the stations require, by checking the station's details... also, that the station is properly enabled. (3) Use the "drive to" command specifying that station, including which track/platform, to ensure your train stops at the right place, and add "load" and "unload" commands after that. Positioning can be a little picky.

Not all rolling stock assets are set to carry goods (including passengers in the case of carriages). The quick way to check is, as PWeiser suggest above, is to turn on the Commodity Overlay in Surveyor. This is in the Main Menu -> Display (the 4th icon) -> Commodity Overlay -> Always Visible. A green bar above each carriage will indicate that it is passenger enabled. The bar may be fully green (indicating full), part green and part grey (partly filled) or completely grey (empty). Being passenger enabled does not always mean that "passengers" will appear inside the carriages - that is a choice made by the asset creator.

With the Commodity Overlay switched on, each station should (if it is passenger enabled) also display a green/grey bar indicating that passengers are waiting.

I have never bothered with point (2) listed in the post above - it seems to have no effect on the loading/unloading of passengers.

"Drive To", "Load" and "Unload" commands are essential when using the AI to do all the work. Otherwise if driving manually then simply stopping at the station will automatically perform the load/unload tasks.

This is way beyond my version (I'm at TS2009) but things you might try - (1) be sure your train has passengers aboard by viewing "details" (I think they now appear as glowing text above the traincar, used to be a browser window) (2) be sure the passengers you're carrying are the same kind as what the stations require, by checking the station's details... also, that the station is properly enabled. (3) Use the "drive to" command specifying that station, including which track/platform, to ensure your train stops at the right place, and add "load" and "unload" commands after that. Positioning can be a little picky.
thank you :) yeaaa i worked out with the navigate to thing that the ones i tried stopping at weren't proper stations or atleast werent enabled. thanks for the advice :)

Well, I know I use "Drive To" and that Load & Unload commands are there. I will try the Commodity Overlay thing. It sort of bothers me that this train has no "insides" - no seats or anything, but that doesn't seem to stop other inside-less trains from loading. A bit of a mystery.

It sort of bothers me that this train has no "insides" - no seats or anything, but that doesn't seem to stop other inside-less trains from loading. A bit of a mystery.

The interior design of any rolling stock item is an optional extra for many creators. The ability to load/unload goods or passengers does not depend on it, just like it does not depend on the colour of the exterior, and adding an interior can be a lot of extra work. Some creators use generic interiors, especially for locos, and this often generates complaints from other users, most of whom have never created a rolling stock asset.

For me, having an interior is a nice extra feature and seeing passengers sitting in seats is an added bonus but their absence does not phase me. As I have heard many a rail worker say - passenger services would run much better if we didn't have to carry passengers :D

Strangely, I've just noticed the same as the OP with a couple of consists I've been using on my session.

How can I add the ability to load/unload passengers to the rolling stock I'm using?

Thanks,
Paul

How can I add the ability to load/unload passengers to the rolling stock I'm using?l

If the rolling stock you are using is not already passenger enabled, then you will need to add something like the follwing example to the asset config.txt file.

Code:
queues
{
  load
  {
    size                                20
    initial-count                       7
    product-kuid                        <kuid:-3:10060>

allowed-products
    {
      0                                 <kuid:-3:10060>
    }
  }
}

Where:-
size is the maximum number of items (in this case passengers) allowed.
initial-count is the starting number of passengers
<kuid:-3:10060> is the actual commodity item being loaded - in this case it is the standard Auran Passengers commodity

<kuid:-3:10060> will also have to be added to the <kuid table>. The first number, the 2 in the example below, is not important as long as each item has a different starting or ID number.

Code:
kuid-table
{
  0                                     <kuid:xxxxxxx:yyyyyyy>
  1                                     <kuid:xxxxxaa:yyyyybb>
  [B]2[/B]                                     [B]<kuid:-3:10060>[/B]
  3                                     <kuid:xxxxxcc:yyyyddd>
  4                                     etc
}

This will only allow passengers to be loaded and unloaded. They will not appear in the carriage unless the rolling stock creator has added attachment points (i.e. places for them to sit/stand).

The interior design of any rolling stock item is an optional extra for many creators. The ability to load/unload goods or passengers does not depend on it, just like it does not depend on the colour of the exterior, and adding an interior can be a lot of extra work. Some creators use generic interiors, especially for locos, and this often generates complaints from other users, most of whom have never created a rolling stock asset.

For me, having an interior is a nice extra feature and seeing passengers sitting in seats is an added bonus but their absence does not phase me. As I have heard many a rail worker say - passenger services would run much better if we didn't have to carry passengers :D

At moments like this, I wish we had a Facebook style "like" or "smile". I too like to see the passengers sitting, but of course it's not essential.
BTW, I used to be a high school teacher, and it was quite obvious that the place ran far more efficiently when there were no students there.

Unloading Containers doesn't work either

Seems it's not just passengers!
I have a large dock complex, including:

Seaport (Auran)
<kuid:-23:100>
OK, this is well below the standard for trs22 and I'm amazed it appears at all

Seaport Custom
<kuid2:171456:10145:1>

Station Containers Ship Quay
<kuid2:427808:37912:1>

Station Containers ship 012WT
<kuid2:427808:10912:1>

Not one of these will download containers for me. I haven't tried loading there yet. I thought at first it was because I couldn't find ready loaded 40ft containers - if I remember rightly, the old game had separate facilities for 20ft & 40ft, but there are so many different sizes today, I'm not sure what's happening. Anyway, eventually I found some 40ft containers and they didn't get unloaded either.

If the rolling stock you are using is not already passenger enabled, then you will need to add something like the follwing example to the asset config.txt file.

Code:
queues
{
  load
  {

allowed-products
    {
    }
  }
}

<kuid:-3:10060> is the actual commodity item being loaded - in this case it is the standard Auran Passengers commodity

<kuid:-3:10060> will also have to be added to the <kuid table>. The first number, the 2 in the example below, is not important as long as each item has a different starting or ID number.

Code:
kuid-table
{
}

This will only allow passengers to be loaded and unloaded. They will not appear in the carriage unless the rolling stock creator has added attachment points (i.e. places for them to sit/stand).

Thank you for the very helpful post.

The passenger consists I'm using appear to have a slight variation in that wording in the config files suggesting they are passenger enabled. I don't quite understand why when switching the Commodity Overlays on, a particular consist has the passenger numbers above every coach, whereas in another example of a consist there is nothing.

Furthermore, I've noticed that by using MCPathStop in combination with AJS Invisible Stations, it seems quite fussy as to whether the passengers are picked up or not, despite the consists stopping (and opening their doors if with interiors) at the right point along the platform, yet the passengers don't load/unload at certain stations.

Should it be this difficult?

Thanks,
Paul

BTW, I used to be a high school teacher, and it was quite obvious that the place ran far more efficiently when there were no students there.

... and in my experiences (also a former High School teacher) it was the same when the executive staff were off on a conference or a planning day.:D

I don't quite understand why when switching the Commodity Overlays on, a particular consist has the passenger numbers above every coach, whereas in another example of a consist there is nothing.

After reading the above I loaded in one of my routes and sessions and had a look. Yes, there are rolling stock assets that are set to carry commodities that do not show the green/grey bars when the overlay is on. Since I rarely use the overlay feature I had never noticed this before. I have no explanation.

After reading the above I loaded in one of my routes and sessions and had a look. Yes, there are rolling stock assets that are set to carry commodities that do not show the green/grey bars when the overlay is on. Since I rarely use the overlay feature I had never noticed this before. I have no explanation.

So I replaced the 'queues' code in the config file with similar to what you included above and the green/grey bar appeared on that particular carriage.

Still can't get the passengers to pick up though whilst using MCPathStop.

Cheers,
Paul

Code:
queues
{
  load
  {

allowed-products
    {
    }
  }
}

Code:
kuid-table
{
}

It occurs to me that I haven't the faintest idea how to go about doing any of this. I have no idea where to find the asset.config file or the kuid table.

1. Right mouse click on the asset in Content Manager to open a popup menu
  2. Select Open from the menu, this will open another popup submenu
  3. Select Edit Config File Text

This will open the assets config.txt file in your default text editor (probably notepad).

There you will find all the tags that control the operation and appearance of the asset, including the kuid table.

WARNING: Editing this file is only recommended for the fool hardy or those who actually know what they are doing (and sometimes, from personal experience, there is no difference between those two).

1. When finished close the text editor and in Content Manager-
  2. right mouse click the asset which will be now shown with a status of "Open for Edit" and select either:-

• submit edits if you have changed anything and be prepared for a long list of warning or error messages, or
  • revert if unchanged if you have (often wisely) not changed anything

BUT BEFORE YOU DO THIS MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF THE ASSET

Last edited:
Thanks. It sounds scary, but I may try it later. In the meantime, I think I'll look for another train that already works. Still, I made a copy of your instructions.

Thanks. It sounds scary, but I may try it later. In the meantime, I think I'll look for another train that already works. Still, I made a copy of your instructions.

It is scary the first few times you do it - but it can be a great "heart starter", like being hit by a defibrillator, especially when you get all these cryptic error messages:D. But the most important thing is to do your edits on a copy or clone of the asset, never on the real thing.

Finding an alternative asset that already works is always my preferred option.

Back