Windows 10 or 11?

Firefighterdan

343 NEVER FORGET
I am currently running Windows 10 and was wondering how well Trainz runs on 11? I can get the upgrade for free, but if Trainz doesn't run well on it I won't do it. Thanks for your time, Danny

It’s just as good or bad in 11 as it is in 10. Your computer hardware and the version of Trainz have more effect than the operating system does, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Just a piece of information, the end of Windows 10 is scheduled for October 14, 2025.

This will be a problem for older PCs that do not have the TPM chip, which is mandatory for Windows 11.

There are various solutions to force its installation anyway, but Microsoft already warns that the stability of the kernel is not assured and that it is possible that security updates will not be applied.

Best regards

I wish that Trainz would make a Linux version so that I could totally forget Windows. Trainz is the ONLY thing that I use Windows for.

I wish that Trainz would make a Linux version so that I could totally forget Windows. Trainz is the ONLY thing that I use Windows for.

Tony mentioned somewhere some time ago that that they were looking into creating a Linux version of Trainz. He went on to say that this is not on the priority list and it'll happen at some point but not soon.

I'm running Windows 11 because my new hardware came with it. Overall, it's much the same as Windows 10 except things were moved around and buried. Performance wise Trainz runs well and it's definitely a bit spiffier than it was with Windows 10.

Like all Windows installs, I disable unnecessary things that aren't needed. With Windows 11, they have their gadgets that constantly talk to the internet and create unnecessary network traffic, and just like Windows 10, there's a lot of other things that are done that need disabling such phoning home to track locations, the phone app since I don't have an Android phone, etc.

I run TRS19 on Win 10, Win 11 and Linux Mint 21.1 and there is little to choose between either of them. Particularly if it's free and your machine supports Win 11 go for it but recently Win 11 has been offered to machines which are not compatible and has caused problems when people have tried to install it. Should you upgrade, other than backing up everything Trainz before you even think of starting, create yourself a Windows recovery USB drive so at least you can get back to where you are now should it all go wrong. Peter

Last edited:
So glad I have held onto my i7 4790k / GTX 1080ti combo for so long. So, I will set my calendar reminder for summer time 2025. I should be able to save enough to replace the ancient hardware I have, by then.

Just a piece of information, the end of Windows 10 is scheduled for October 14, 2025.

This will be a problem for older PCs that do not have the TPM chip, which is mandatory for Windows 11.

There are various solutions to force its installation anyway, but Microsoft already warns that the stability of the kernel is not assured and that it is possible that security updates will not be applied.

Best regards

For what it's worth, TANE runs almost perfectly on Linux (using the Wine compatibility layer) and I use the NTFS-3g driver so I can even dual-boot between Linux and Windows and use the same install on both!
Content manager has issues with screen refreshes, but the game itself works almost as well as it does on Windows (just a couple of frames-per-second slower). Some of the sessions on the ECML crash sometimes when I try to play them, but I'm 99% sure that's because I don't have enough memory and my swapfile isn't big enough...

I see Microsoft announced CorePC recently. Another attempt at making Windows smaller and faster. I wonder who will be the first to start a "Will Trainz run on CorePC" thread?

Last edited:
Microsoft scammers are telling me that my high performance Intel Core i7-4790 PC is not compatible with Windows 11. The fairytale about security reasons would be just ridiculous if it would not be legal theft. I am not going to throw my expensive and powerful enough PC to the trashbin just because of some bunch of filthy racketeers. Governements or the "glorious" EU should tell to MS strongly that such behavior is very environment and resources unfriendly.

Microsoft scammers are telling me that my high performance Intel Core i7-4790 PC is not compatible with Windows 11. The fairytale about security reasons would be just ridiculous if it would not be legal theft. I am not going to throw my expensive and powerful enough PC to the trashbin just because of some bunch of filthy racketeers. Governements or the "glorious" EU should tell to MS strongly that such behavior is very environment and resources unfriendly.

neither pass my i7-7700 and.... I don't care at all as W11, if possible, is worst than W10.

Your i7-4790 might have been new and high power when it was released, but that was when it was released. Intel's 4th gen came out in 2014, making it 9 years old and 9 generations behind. It's also a 4 core CPU, vs the newest CPU taking the spot the 4790 had in the lineup (i7-13700) having 16 cores. And also, there's a very good chance that those were not scammers. The Windows 11 Intel CPU compatibility list does not have the i7-4790 on it. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/w...pported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

It might be time for an upgrade.

You just absolutely missed the point. You seem to be an typical victim of the numbers, brain massage and corporate marketing, corporations need very much to monetize the simplicity of such victims, thats why they push so nasty dirty, but just because of such am I forced to suffer? My PC with CPU, which coming out in 2014, fulfill my needs fully, and I am not an unassuming user for sure ;-) How would You like the automotive industry to produce cars which would become formally unusable after 10 year of use??

You just absolutely missed the point. You seem to be an typical victim of the numbers, brain massage and corporate marketing, corporations need very much to monetize the simplicity of such victims, thats why they push so nasty dirty, but just because of such am I forced to suffer? My PC with CPU, which coming out in 2014, fulfill my needs fully, and I am not an unassuming user for sure ;-) How would You like the automotive industry to produce cars which would become formally unusable after 10 year of use??

To address this:
1. This isn't a corporate push. Technology moves fast, one year in tech is the equivalent of sometimes something like 5 in other industries. I'll give you an example here. Look at the specs listed in my signature. That's from a PC I built last June. It's already a generation behind. Intel's 13th gen has released, the RTX 40 series is out, and DDR4 has given way to DDR5. That's just how the tech industry moves.
2. Just because it fulfills your needs doesn't mean it fulfills that for Windows 11. If you have upgraded other things such as memory, storage (hdd->ssd or nvme->m.2) then that will improve the way it runs. But this is a CPU standalone we are talking about here, not the whole system. That's not the way operating systems work, you can't trade off like that. And as mentioned above, tech becomes obsolete fast, that's just the nature of things.
3. You cannot compare the auto industry to the tech industry. They're 2 industries making different things that work in different ways. Cars do not have their own operating systems. And yes, cars do have tech inside of them. But even when you look at that, that changes rapidly.
The fact of the matter is that the tech industry is an industry that grows and develops much faster than most others. It's honestly surprising you've been able to hang on to a 9 year old processor for this long, but at this point it is obsolete. That's just the way this works, and it's the way it's always worked.

Your CPU is open to certain types of Malware and has been since it was made. It's only in the last year or two that Malware has evolved enough to take advantage of it. Meltdown and Spectre are two that are known.

Provided you don't do any online banking or use a credit card then I think you're fine. If you do then you're living dangerously and I suspect it's only a matter of time. Be aware that when Microsoft fixes a security problem in Windows 11 it may well be present in earlier versions. Typically you'll see malware creators looking at the patch then seeing if it can be exploited in earlier versions of windows.

Cheerio John

Back