Paging Dr. Dinorius_Redundicus.....

STLSF4003

I think your snow 01 spline 02 might be bugged out. The description on the DLS says that the assets is "seasonal", meaning that it'll appear and disappear when you change the snowline of the route. Well I've tried setting snowline to the default of 2000.00 meters and the spline just wont disappear.

Am I missing something here?

Am I missing something here?

Yes, a lot.

The description of Snow 01 spline 02 (kuid2:68213:22275:1) states that it is "a bumpy bed of permanent, non-seasonal snow." So, it was deliberately designed not to respond to snowline.

It was a request job for a route that, due to its rather unfortunate topology, could not take advantage of the snowline feature.

yenZaMo.jpg

Last edited:
Boy that looks like my yard right now! We got 20 cm (about 8-inches) of snow last night.

Last edited:
OK, I think I might have goofed up slightly. Turns out that I was looking at the description for Snow 02 spline 02 while using Snow 01 spline 02...Oops ^^;

Kind of a shame though as Snow 01 spline 02 is prefect in my opinion for covering non seasonal track splines in deep snow.

As a result of many uncoordinated requests, I ended up making so many of these damned snow things that I got kind of lost in the names and exactly what was what. I never really wanted to make any permanent snow terrain assets, but felt under pressure to do them due to a long stint of making assets for that route builder.

I'll see if I can make a proper snowline-dependent version of the spline for you if I haven't already done so.

As a result of many uncoordinated requests, I ended up making so many of these damned snow things that I got kind of lost in the names and exactly what was what. I never really wanted to make any permanent snow terrain assets, but felt under pressure to do them due to a long stint of making assets for that route builder.

I'll see if I can make a proper snowline-dependent version of the spline for you if I haven't already done so.

Thanks Dino! If I could make one suggestion though, would it be possible to make the spline a little bit more narrow? even when I Lower it down a little, there's still quite a bit of snow overhang on both sides of the track.

case in point:
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

That wouldn't look quite so bad once you add snow ground textures around it, but yes, a narrower spline is possible. Perhaps I'll make a few different widths in addition to the original 10m wide one. I was also thinking that if it's not already a randomized spline, I should make them like that to reduce repetition of the bumps and edge shapes somewhat. I'll do a bit of thinking and come back here once I have something to show.

Last edited:
In the third screen shot above there are two workmen in winter garb. Where did you get those and can they be obtained by others? I would love to have a few workers in winter clothing.
Thanks
Gary

They look like those third-party models that MSGSapper gets and uploads to the DLS. I will see if I can find their kuid numbers.

Last edited:
@ Gary Evans

Sorry, that was a wrong guess.

I think those workers are SketchUp models imported by Sholborn. They should be amongst this bunch of kuids on the DLS;

<kuid:93112:3035582>,<kuid:93112:3035568>,<kuid:93112:3035559>,<kuid:93112:3035575>

Last edited:
Thanks Dino! If I could make one suggestion though, would it be possible to make the spline a little bit more narrow? even when I lower it down a little, there's still quite a bit of snow overhang on both sides of the track.

Dinorius_Redundicus said:
I'll do a bit of thinking and come back here once I have something to show.

OK, I came up with this one which I've called "Snow 02 spline 05".

It's about 5.7m wide at the base and shaped to fit over a typical standard gauge track with ballast. The geometrical (mesh) bumps are small, which makes it better suited to the fine height difference between ballast, ties and the top of the rails. It's snowline sensitive, so only the spline sections that are higher than the snowline will be visible.

Like my other assets textured with "Snow 02", this one is configured to not cast shadows, so it will get soft shading in the game rather than hard-edged "polygon shadows".

5GhncZ1.jpg

I need to finalise the LOD system and fiddle with texture mapping scale, but the finished model will basically look like the above screenshot.

Last edited:
Back