which card to get?

Trainz it's an resource eater since a long time ago. If you don't want to deal with too much scattering due to too low FPS without having to turn all the features to the lowest level it could be better to point to at least 4GB dedicated RAM for your video card.

Hmmm, tough question between those two. Most YouTube reviewers don't see a big difference between them. In this case your current card uses DDR3 memory and the new one says it uses GDDR4. I would look around for a 1030 that uses GDDR5 memory.

Check out this video for a comparison.

Last edited:
If you can save more money during a month, for example, unless you need it now, I would try to buy a RTX 3050 or beyond. Those cards aren't good enough for Trainz regardless of the VRAM size.

If you can save more money during a month, for example, unless you need it now, I would try to buy a RTX 3050 or beyond. Those cards aren't good enough for Trainz regardless of the VRAM size.

I just bought an RTX 12GB 3060 in an Ebay auction at the starting bid of £180 with no bids against me. If the OP decides on getting something like a 3060 it's important to make sure it is the 12GB variant , not 8GB .

When you can afford it, I'd recommend an AMD RX7600 8gb. I just upgraded to this card and it is a great fast mid range card and most suitable for 1080p, much better frame rates than the GTX1660ti I used to have installed. They have just launched and are currently $269 USD in the US. They only need a 550w power supply.

The only worry that I would have with AMD cards is that TurfFX does not work on them. TurfFX is an Nvidia only product.
I don't seem to be having any problems with TurfFX on the new RX7600 either on WIP or new routes. It works just the same as before with the old nVidia card.

I will say that I Cannot reccommend an AMD card for Trainz. I upgraded to an RX 6800 and got weird dots on all transparent textures. Submitted a bug report and got told it was something to do with Alpha to coverage, and that it can be avoided by "careful use of m.glass at the content creation level."

Radio silence when pointed out that I'm not a content creator, and that it also happens on built in assets.

Replaced my RX 6800 with an RTX 3070 and the issue was gone.

31e97603b915-Screenshot-2022-10-03-220619-1.png

I had a Ryzen 5600G for a year and it was behaving like a GTX1050...then add an RTX 3060 and I can say it can handle Trainz perfectly at high settings.

Back