carrate

stouthm

Get over it
As I understand it the lower the number the more vehicles are produced. If that's the case is 0 the lowest number or is it 1? I have all my roads set at one but my interstates (4 lanes) could use some more traffic.

From the Trainz Wiki page "Index of Tags & Containers".

(No longer Valid, except for splines which have 'isroad' set) Defined traffic density on road (minimum seconds between each car generated). 0 = No traffic. Number must be greater than 3. The game waits between 1 and 3 times this value (in seconds) between generating traffic on the spline.

pware- thanks for the reply and info. Based on that info my using the number 1 shouldn't produce as many vehicles as if I used number 4. Is that a correct assumption?

Your minimum spawn rate cannot be lower than 3. You will not get any traffic to spawn with 2 or 1. Read again what Pware said.

Doug

Not true. As I stated in the beginning I have my roads at 1 and get plenty of traffic. Will I get more if I use 4?

According to what is in the Wiki (assuming that it is still valid) the number you enter should be a range multiplier of the interval between cars.

So if carrate=4 then a car should be emitted every 4 to 12 seconds (1x to 3x the entered value)
Carrate=10 should produce a car every 10 to 30 seconds (ditto).

If you are getting traffic generated with carrate=1, despite the note that the rate must exceed 3, then it would indicate to me that the carrate tag is not working as advertised.

pware- thanks for the info. Makes things a little clearer now. Since the number 1 seems to be working on my routes I'll leave things alone. Don't fix it if it's not broke.

Not true. As I stated in the beginning I have my roads at 1 and get plenty of traffic. Will I get more if I use 4?

The higher the number the less carz that will spawn as the number is the number of seconds between spawns. So, 4 will produce LESS carz than 1. Typically, I use 10 second intervals or higher because I don't want too many carz running around the route.

The 'carrate' tag has been discussed a few times here, I believe I did the last Wiki update on the page "Index of Tags & Containers" for that tag.

I tried a test on this asset;
<kuid2:647907:102362:1> YARNish L2 DL1 -Si +Sh, TH SM - CDE

I cloned it and set the 'carrate' to 1. What I found is that the it worked per the math stated, and ended up with more traffic than using 'carrate' 4. So the statement 1,2 and 3 don't work is false. I then tried to find where, if at all, it was used in the factory .gs files to get more info, and I could not find it there, so it must be controlled at an upper level.

If using 1,2 or 3, I would be worried that someday down the road it all of a sudden quits working, as in reserved for future use.

If using 1,2 or 3, I would be worried that someday down the road it all of a sudden quits working, as in reserved for future use.

A valid point.

Either:-
  1. the functioning of the carrate tag has been deliberately changed so that values of 1, 2 and 3 are now valid but the documentation has not been updated, or
  2. it has a new bug that unintentionally allows values of 1, 2 and 3 to be used.

If option 2 is the case then those values will stop working if the bug is fixed. Use at your own risk.

Back