What is the name of the equipment to make a road-railer truck.

JonMyrlennBailey

Let's say one has a Toyota Tacoma truck and wants to adapt it for running on a standard-gauge track. What is the equipment called to do that and what companies make such conversions to road vehicles?

They don't seem to offer such rail adapters specifically to fit Toyota Tacoma or Tundra trucks. Do motor vehicles need modification to fit these devices? Welding, hacking, cutting, filing, machining, drilling, sawing, etc? Some clever inventor has yet to offer a simple true bolt-on or no-mod rail adapter. For instance, look how easy it is to convert a 4x4 truck to a tracked vehicle. If they could only make it that simple to run a pickup truck or a car even on a train track.

Driving any vehicle on a train track is not a form of recreation that is in my budget anyway. It is something perhaps for millionaires who have cash to blow away. That equipment to turn your 4x4 truck into an instant Snow Cat is about $20K.

My guess is that these outfits pretty much cater to the railroad companies, who are using full-size Chevrolet/GMC, Ford and Dodge RAM pickups. There probably hasn't been a lot of call for Toyotas, although I might think globally there might be.

My guess is that these outfits pretty much cater to the railroad companies, who are using full-size Chevrolet/GMC, Ford and Dodge RAM pickups. There probably hasn't been a lot of call for Toyotas, although I might think globally there might be.

Mack and International trucks as well. My neighbor across the street from me works for a tree company as a supervisor. He had a Mack work truck with him one day because he was heading out early the next morning somewhere. The truck he drove had the Hi-rail wheels on it to run down the railroad tracks along with the basket to rise up and trim high branches. The company he said, does work for the various railroads clearing brush along the ROW. He then went on to say that they were doing some work for Keolis who runs the commuter rail for the MBTA under contract and he had to be out on the road early the next day.

Back