4K Resolution

Is there a way to get 3840x2160 resolution in Trainz 22? The highest resolution I can get is 2560x1440.

Unfortunately, no. N3V has kept the resolution at 2k maximum for performance reasons we were told.

You can run TRS22 in a window and maximize the window to the full screen. Video will be full screen but still running at 2k.

A 5yr 27" PC Monitor looks great at the present resolution. I enjoy just visually driving or "flying" through the scenery.
Getting the lighting to my taste has been a challenge but for now I am happy. What looks terrible is most of the TV programming on my little 55" TV.

I honestly don't think a video card has been made yet that can handle Trainz at 4k resolution. The stutter would be so bad it would be unplayable. I have a 2k monitor and my RTX2060 sometimes has trouble keeping up. Video games are optimized for 4k in that you can't change the scenery in any way to disrupt that optimization. Television is on a different principle to video games. TV cameras don't have to count the triangles that make up the objects of a scene. They only film the light reflected off the objects and convert that light into a digital format to fit the resolution of the TV screen. I'm a retired tv repair technician and HD was just coming into it own by the time I retired but I understand how it works.

Jack

IMHO they don't have any right to stick it to 2304*1296 (at least on my Mac Pro). It's up to me to choose 2K with high quality or 4K with less quality. The only reason they are doing it, I believe, is to have lesser negative feedbacks about TS. And as I already said, this graphic engine is horrible (regardless the fact I always admire the porting of TS on Apple's M chipsets and Metal 2 graphics - the latter could be, though, the limit of performance on the Mac as is not intended for games as Metal 3).

I honestly don't think a video card has been made yet that can handle Trainz at 4k resolution. The stutter would be so bad it would be unplayable.

A few years ago this may have been the case and still not a valid reason to remove the setting, but there are now a number of GPUs capable of running Trainz at 4K and N3V's decision punishes users with capable hardware for no good reason. I too spent years frustrated with how resource-demanding Trainz is, requiring me to lower settings. 'Just' turning shadows off removes most performance issues. A year or so ago I was finally able to get a good GPU and a shiny 43" 4K monitor, but they had taken away the damn 4K. Heck, there are 8K monitors now and if any users have one of those they should be able to utilize that too. TONY, et al, IT'S UNACCEPTABLE TO FORCE THE LOWERED RESOLUTION BECAUSE SOME USERS DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW TO ADJUST A FEW SETTINGS! It's 2023 for crying out loud, 4K isn't something new anymore. Make 4k+ non-default and hide it away in a sub-menu if you feel the need to, but not having it at all is ridiculous.

Last edited:
A few years ago this may have been the case and still not a valid reason to remove the setting, but there are now a number of GPUs capable of running Trainz at 4K and N3V's decision punishes users with capable hardware for no good reason. I too spent years frustrated with how resource-demanding Trainz is, requiring me to lower settings. 'Just' turning shadows off removes most performance issues. A year or so ago I was finally able to get a good GPU and a shiny 43" 4K monitor, but they had taken away the damn 4K. Heck, there are 8K monitors now and if any users have one of those they should be able to utilize that too. TONY, et al, IT'S UNACCEPTABLE TO FORCE THE LOWERED RESOLUTION BECAUSE SOME USERS DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW TO ADJUST A FEW SETTINGS! It's 2023 for crying out loud, 4K isn't something new anymore. Make 4k+ non-default and hide it away in a sub-menu if you feel the need to, but not having it at all is ridiculous.

Well said! I am so disappointed with Trainz 22 for not having the option to run 4K. For me, it's a deal breaker and am planning on uninstalling it because it looks so bad.

Okay, thank you sir! That is ridiculous being as it looks terrible in 2K because I have a 4k OLED TV.
"ridiculous" is hardly the word I would use :).. Has caused me to go back to Ducktail... They have been without 3840 x 2160 for years and they think if they ignore the issue we will just keep buying dlc. Nope.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the previous comment that there probably isn't a GPU made that would handle 4K. I am running at 2K and forced to 60 FPS. If I unlock the FPS, I get about 160-180 FPS and my PC sounds like a 747 on take-off. The GPU temp within a minute is over 85C. This is on a Ryzen 9 7900, 32G of 4700mhz memory, and a 10G RTX 3080.

You have to understand Trainz is an open world game. You can do whatever you like with it. Video games like Cyberpunck 2077 are sort of open world and even with all of the scenery premade and set for the game even an RTX4090 can get bogged down if you turn everything up to max settings. If Trainz was 4k capable you would be limited to how many trees or other clutter you could put into an area if you don't want to crash your computer. I remember when Trainz came out in 2002 and if I put too many trees my computer would stutter something fierce. I had to keep the foliage to a reasonable level. It was still fun though. We may have to move away from X86 computing to get true high definition graphics. It's getting to the point video cards are massive in size and it's becoming the norm for CPU's to rise above 100c for normal operations. Maybe someone will invent a small air conditioner unit we can all mount to our cases. We can all hope that sometime in the near future some engineer will will invent a method for processing the millions of triangles it takes to build a scene without having the processor take up a whole room like the first hard drives and computers did when they were invented. Just my two cents.

Jack

Hi Jack,

What I do understand is that Trainz 22 is a terribly optimized game that needs either a new engine or massive performance update. Other open world games and even Train Simulator 2022 can run at 4K on a decent computer just fine with tons of vegetation added to any route.

Last edited:
Rubbish, Trainz isn't and has never been anything but a game engine. A game engine that is biased towards rail simulations. While it is possible to consider routes and sessions as some form of a game that isn't what N3V makes. They make game creation software built around their game engine. If you and others don't like the fact that at the moment it doesn't support 4K then fine, there are lots of train sims on the market. Have fun.

Trainz users have always bought Trainz in all it's versions for the ease at which they can make routes and run trains. That is its strength and thank goodness, N3V understands that and is catering to the customers desires with new features like Surveyor 2.0 and HD terrain.

Not rubbish, any word that you want to use "Creation software" or whatever else, Trainz is a game engine! Lol, I never said that I don't like Trainz so please do not state things that were not said. Trainz does have a lot of strengths, but again it's poorly optimized.

Back