Rail driving for recreation

JonMyrlennBailey

Can't one also equip their private car or light-duty truck to ride on rails as well? Where would it be even allowed for private citizens to use rail-adapted highway motor vehicles on RR tracks for recreation? I would want a comfortable air-conditioned/heated closed vehicle for fun rail driving. I need to take my dog along for the ride too.

The normal driving wheels of the truck are in contact with the rail surface and provide the motion and breaking control. The normal steering mechanism is locked out of the drivers control who now only operates the accelerator and the brakes. The rail wheels are unpowered and for guidance only.

Get a speeder and use that on the abandoned track. There's a speeder club that used to run periodically up in New Hampshire on the former Winnipesaukee branch between Sanborn and the end of track in Wolfboro until that became a rail trail.

Get a speeder and use that on the abandoned track. There's a speeder club that used to run periodically up in New Hampshire on the former Winnipesaukee branch between Sanborn and the end of track in Wolfboro until that became a rail trail.

What you're talking about is NARCOA: North American Railcar Operators Association. These guys restore speeders and run them on abandoned rail lines and tourist lines. I know that there's a person in Ringgold, Georgia, which is about fifteen minutes from where I live, has two speeders stored in an outbuilding on their property. I've provided a link to NARCOA's website: https://www.narcoa.org/
And here's all the speeders for sale on NARCOA's website, most of which are cheaper than a brand new car today: https://www.narcoa.org/forsale/4sale_want.htm
And here's an Atlanta-based Youtuber enjoying a NARCOA outing in Alabama:

Last edited:
What you're talking about is NARCOA: North American Railcar Operators Association. These guys restore speeders and run them on abandoned rail lines and tourist lines. I know that there's a person in Ringgold, Georgia, which is about fifteen minutes from where I live, has two speeders stored in an outbuilding on their property. I've provided a link to NARCOA's website: https://www.narcoa.org/
And here's all the speeders for sale on NARCOA's website, most of which are cheaper than a brand new car today: https://www.narcoa.org/forsale/4sale_want.htm
And here's an Atlanta-based Youtuber enjoying a NARCOA outing in Alabama:

Yeah, I think that's the group that was running the speeders.

This line in New Hampshire was state-owned and the anti-rail administration has been selling off the lines for trails. Sadly, this is another one that's bit the dust. Anyway, I think the group does some riding on the other part of the White Mountain Branch up towards Silver Lake.

Not in the cards for me, as I would then need a trailer and then a pickup, etc, etc. I would love to ride as a passenger though!

Not in the cards for me, as I would then need a trailer and then a pickup, etc, etc. I would love to ride as a passenger though!

Same here with me! The finances aren't in the cards either for me. Retirement has a whole new meaning when it comes to having fun.

Yes John! About retirement.... When I was working I always told people that I would restore old cars if I had the time, the space, and the money but I did not have even one of the three. Now I am retired I had at least hoped to have the time. Nope. Too much going on, and I can't believe I am about as busy as ever! Not knocking retirement though, I would never un-retire!

And here's all the speeders for sale on NARCOA's website, most of which are cheaper than a brand new car today:
How's this for irony: I mention that these speeders are cheaper than a brand new car today yesterday, and this morning, on her way to work, my mom wasn't paying attention and ran a red light and totaled her car. Luckily, she's okay, the SUV, not so much. She's now got a rental car from the insurance company. Looks like car shopping is in the near future.

Back