Looking for street lamps that illuminate the ground

fjbicrf

Greetings,

I am looking for street lamps that illuminate the ground. The ones that I have tried light up at night but do not illuminate the ground. I have some rail yard lights that illuminate the ground and are great for the rail yards but are not appropriate for for other locations.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Fred Bray

You can look at these, not sure if they are what you are looking for.
<kuid:95230:106123> DES Light Parking
<kuid:95230:102591> Apron Floodlight V2
<kuid:95230:114004> DES Light Parking

The Trainz engine does not have the ability to realistically light the ground or anything. Only the Locomotive Headlight can illuminate the track and surroundings ahead.

As Dave said. If streetlamp or yard light assets illuminate the ground, it is only because the asset adds a spot of light at the ground level. However, this spot of light will be the color the creator made it and won't reflect the color of whatever it is shining on, such as grass, concrete, or asphalt, and it won't light up anything that comes across it, like a vehicle or other unlit asset like buildings, trees or shrubs. Those will remain dark.

A bugbear of mine for decades now. Nightmode lighting is atrocious in all assets, other than headlights on loco's. I wish N3V would fix this basic issue with as much gusto as it releases all the new whiz bang items they are pushing. Apart from the nightmode lighting, the fake Skybox & missing rain effects on windscreens need attention. Two decades since my first purchase of Trainz UTC and still waiting. (Sigh)

I still don't know what the difference is between loco headlights and all other lights, or why all other lights can't work like loco headlights?

Fred,

Apart from the lack of ground light, if you are happy enough with the street lamps you have chosen, there are nightmode-type pools of light that you can place under the lamps. For example, if you search on my kuid ID (68213) and the word "light" you will find on the DLS a series of light pools, patches and strips (the difference being the shapes of the illuminated areas).

I'm not the only one to make such things. I know that hadotwe (kuid ID 80140) made some light pools and there may be others. Search terms like "shine", "beam" etc. may turn up more hits.

One advantage they have over lamps with "built-in" light pools is that you can fine-tune the height, position and orientation of the lighted area to suit the location, independent of the lamp itself.

Generally, it's best to place them during the game's night time, since they will be invisible during the day. Be aware that some can be tilted (= "rolled") in addition to simple rotation. This may help when placing them on sloping ground etc.

Last edited:
Even the Locomotive headlight isn't 100% realistic, because that light doesn't cast shadows like real headlights do. American Truck Simulator has fairly realistic headlights on the trucks, cars, buildings, streetlights, etc. Streetlights in that game will illuminate anything under it. But even the truck headlights don't cast shadows like in real life. ATS also has completely realistic mirrors.

I still don't know what the difference is between loco headlights and all other lights, or why all other lights can't work like loco headlights?

I think the loco headlights are examples of volumetric or 3D lighting. Coronas seem to be based on 2D planes that are either camera-facing or with a brightness that varies with viewing angle relative to the plane. Sort of 2.5D. Lights such as nightmode windows are just mesh surfaces with self-illuminating textures (ie. they ignore the diurnal brightness cycle and remain bright at night).

I suspect that volumetric lighting is restricted in trainz because of high computational cost.

Last edited:
I'm a little late to this thread but check out these lights by arraial: 524343:6246:1, 6247, and 6249:1. I think this is what you're looking for.

Of course, if you really want to torture yourself you could try doing this. Thank you again for making these Dinorius Redundicus :Y:

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Dave

You can add some animated butterflies , reskinned as gypsy moths flying around the globes and you'll be all set.

Back