Interesting Trainz Trends

DARTrider

Goofy Fictional RR Owner
Thought this may be of interest to some users.

Being a YouTuber, gearing your content towards what everyone is searching is a good way to get more views. Looking at Google Trends showed some interesting, but not surprising, results for the search term 'trainz' from 2008-now. The top five are as follows:

"trainz android"
"trainz simulator android"
"download trainz simulator"
"trainz simulator indonesia"
"download trainz simulator android"

A mainline Trainz game finally shows up at spot 8, and it's Trainz 12. Trainz 2019 is 9th, and the rest is mostly just other Trainz games with similar Trainz Android searches mixed in with Trainz games like TANE and Trainz 2010.

I find it interesting how Trainz Android (of all Trainz games) has captivated such a large audience, and is likely why so many people convert content to Android. In fact, the 6th, 9th and 10th place searches all have to do with converting content to Android, like "add ons trainz simulator android" and "rute (not route) trainz simulator android."

I would have thought that at least one of the mainline Trainz games would show up a lot further up like TANE or Trainz 12 or TRS19, but apparently the Trainz fanbase on YouTube is so interested in converting content that they made all the search terms either "trainz android addons" or "trainz simulator android download apk," and is why all these new Trainz Android conversion channels are popping up and distributing payware illegally.

Let me know what you think about this.

Link to google trends

I don't get what it is that make people think that they can just convert content to mobile platforms without permission. Like we saw this happen to ConrailFan76 when he found out that some of his assets were being converted to mobile without his consent back in 2021. Because of that incident, He had to shut down his site for a while.

Genuinely I wonder what makes so many people want to use Trainz Android. Sure it's the same build as TS12, meaning TECHNICALLY anything 3.7 and lower works...but what, TS12 is like $15 on Steam? $10? And I think I got it for $5, $10 at the most.

And then TS2009 is completely legally free. And sure it's 3.3 and lower but since you get a free FCT for a full month you can legally download all the assets you want. And TS2009 works on any computer. Even runs great via CrossOver Mac.

And then TANE's like what $7 for the standard edition, $25 for the platinum bundle? And it still works fine on Apple Silicon, has more demanding minimum specs but most computers can run TANE.

So...yea since TS2009 is legally free AND can run on basically any computer...why?

Genuinely I wonder what makes so many people want to use Trainz Android.
You can ask the same question about any (all?) games now on Android but mobile game sales are now the largest, both in volume and $$$value, of all the games platforms.

Who, in all seriousness :D, would prefer to play a game on a HiRes large screen with matching HiRes graphics, full surround sound and all the other mod-cons (including a full sized keyboard where the keys are bigger than your finger tips) when they could play a cut-down version (cut down in performance, graphics, sound, features, keyboard, etc) on a microscopic screen? Probably those same kamikaze individuals walking the streets and crossing roads with their eyes glued to their mobile device and not watching where they are going - I am in no doubt that they will all, eventually, become mere "stains on the sidewalk".

My cheery thoughts.

Genuinely I wonder what makes so many people want to use Trainz Android.
Because you can do so everywhere.

It doesn't require you to use a PC. Just that small hand-size device that you have with you everywhere anyway.

I totally agree the PC version is much better, but I am rarely in the situation that I have my PC with me yet I am often wasting time in locations without my PC.
And don't both with "but what about a laptop", because that is just a combination of the worst of both; it doesn't fit in my pocket and it doesn't have the quality and screen size a decent PC does.

I nowadays rarely play Trainz anymore.
Why?
Because (outside work hours) I usually find myself taking care of the kids or traveling. Can't use my PC at the playground or in the yard.
And I refuse to play Trainz on my iPhone (probably because of the same reasons you don't want to play it on Android).

Genuinely I wonder what makes so many people want to use Trainz Android. Sure it's the same build as TS12, meaning TECHNICALLY anything 3.7 and lower works...but what, TS12 is like $15 on Steam? $10? And I think I got it for $5, $10 at the most.

And then TS2009 is completely legally free. And sure it's 3.3 and lower but since you get a free FCT for a full month you can legally download all the assets you want. And TS2009 works on any computer. Even runs great via CrossOver Mac.

And then TANE's like what $7 for the standard edition, $25 for the platinum bundle? And it still works fine on Apple Silicon, has more demanding minimum specs but most computers can run TANE.

So...yea since TS2009 is legally free AND can run on basically any computer...why?
Some people can't afford a pc.

Guys. The Trainz Android audience, are kids.

Kids own tablets, which run on the Android OS.

These are very young kids, many of whom haven't really developed a sense of moral right and wrong, and who are highly susceptible to peer pressure.

So, consider a group of friends, one or two or all are into Trains, maybe train cartoons like Thomas the Tank Engine, Chuggington, Polar Express, Titipo Titipo and others. Maybe one or two have/had model train sets
One finds a trailer for Trainz Android, shows it to their friends, they all get excited and ask their parents to buy the app for them. Then, since kids watch alot of YouTube, they find these conversion videos,
and decide to get the content for themselves, especially if Mom and Dad aren't too keen on buying DLC.

My two grand nephews both have Trainz Android, and want to get DLC, have asked me about helping them with conversions, but I educated them both on the illegality and the moral
compromises they would both make if they decided to steal and convert content. The older one gets it, and his Mom also reinforces the education. The younger one, he doesn't really understand the why of it all,
but does what his big brother does.

If the older boy weren't so morally straight, then his little brother would follow his lead, and voila I'd have two little Pirates in training to deal with.

Rico

Guys. The Trainz Android audience, are kids.

Kids own tablets, which run on the Android OS.

These are very young kids, many of whom haven't really developed a sense of moral right and wrong, and who are highly susceptible to peer pressure.

So, consider a group of friends, one or two or all are into Trains, maybe train cartoons like Thomas the Tank Engine, Chuggington, Polar Express, Titipo Titipo and others. Maybe one or two have/had model train sets
One finds a trailer for Trainz Android, shows it to their friends, they all get excited and ask their parents to buy the app for them. Then, since kids watch alot of YouTube, they find these conversion videos,
and decide to get the content for themselves, especially if Mom and Dad aren't too keen on buying DLC.

My two grand nephews both have Trainz Android, and want to get DLC, have asked me about helping them with conversions, but I educated them both on the illegality and the moral
compromises they would both make if they decided to steal and convert content. The older one gets it, and his Mom also reinforces the education. The younger one, he doesn't really understand the why of it all,
but does what his big brother does.

If the older boy weren't so morally straight, then his little brother would follow his lead, and voila I'd have two little Pirates in training to deal with.

Rico
I did at one point use the android port, honestly, Trainz simulator/driver 2 is better that it, but the PC is the best choice. Heck, I have an iPad, but since it's an apple device it has goofy shenanigans!
Also, who let the younger one an inch near the "ShArE aDdOnS 2006 jAmEs" videos from 2020? Those popped up like rabbits!

Back