Why No Speed Limit?

Alco_P-A

So I put speed limit signs alongside the track and the train does not obey them. Anyone else having this problem?

A lot depends on how far apart they are. A consist needs to be able to get fully between them. Speed decreases when the front passes a lower-speed sign but won't increase until the rear has cleared the speed sign. Signaling also plays a part in the speed it does.

The problem is the train won't do the posted speed but will do the default speed of 40 mph as if no speed sign was/is posted.

Got plenty of signals along the route. If the train does slow down for a signal the default speed of 40 does not change even if the non default speed does change to a lower speed.

A few questions. I ask just to put all cards on the table.

1. Are these speed signs on your static object tab or track side object tab? (I've oopsed this one once)
2. Are you sure these are scripted signs? (There are a few that are just for show)
3. Do you happen to have other splines of any kind overlayed on the tracks? (Catenaries, powerlines, fences, 3rd rails, etc...)
4. Have you tried other speed signs to troubleshoot this issue? (This one may answer #2)
5. (Dumb one, but I did say all cards.) Are they facing the correct direction?

5. (Dumb one, but I did say all cards.) Are they facing the correct direction?

To which I would add another "Dumb one"

6. Are the speed signs in the correct units - Imperial or metric?

The fact that trains are not dropping their speed to match a lower speed limit would indicate to me that the signs are either dummy signs (point 2 above) or are not actually on the track splines (point 1 above).

The distance between signals matters and so do switch positions. If you have a switch at the end of the section of track facing the wrong direction, the AI will run at 40 mph, or at half speed.

Try using "Driver Speed Rule" in a session and see if that makes a difference. Some speed limit signs are set up to use this rule, such as those used on the West from Denver route.

The built in signs i'm useing now are CDN and speed limit signs left/right. Going to install the CS speed signs and see what happens.

The CDN signs are not listed in uk terms. Switched to the CS speed signs and everything is running/reading normal. Thanks all for your suggestions. Much appreciated and i learned something about signs.:)

Back