Forum updates complete

Tony_Hilliam

Trainz Plus - enjoy Trainz from just 20 cents a da
We've made some important updates to the forums to improve password security. If you have any issues logging in please contact helpdesk. (Or if you have some other way to get a message onto the forums via a different account or friend, please let us know here or any issues).

I had my TANE/CM logged in and open during the repairs and when they were finished, I tried to download something from the DLS. It refused, saying I wasn't logged in (or something like that). After closing and re-launching TANE/CM, the download worked.

Last edited:
He did not get it quick, he is faking it. I know him very well after all this time. RJ Artim

Last edited:
We are just having some issues which are placing some temporary fixes in for, we should have it back up to speed shortly.

My forum says vBulletin Version 4.2.2. Wikipedia has the following (see quote below). According to that blurb v4 updates ceased 5 years ago. Perhaps this is why there is so much spam that makes it to the forum.

vBulletin 5 was released in 2012.
In late 2017, a post by Technical Support Lead, Wayne Luke, confirmed that vBulletin 3 and vBulletin 4 were now considered to be "End of Life" software, with no further development of the series planned.

My forum says vBulletin Version 4.2.2. Wikipedia has the following (see quote below). According to that blurb v4 updates ceased 5 years ago. Perhaps this is why there is so much spam that makes it to the forum.

Feature updates ended, security patches are still being rolled out. N3V could move to a newer version that does offer better spam handling features but that would mean migrating 16 years of data which is a pretty daunting task. They could pay to have it done for them by vBulletin Solutions, Inc. but that is a business decision.

Of course, the real spam issues are caused by too many open forums where a bot can sign up and spam away. Restricting all forums but one, lets say a pre-purchase questions forum for example, would cut down on a lot of spam.

Last edited:
Feature updates ended, security patches are still being rolled out. N3V could move to a newer version that does offer better spam handling features but that would mean migrating 16 years of data which is a pretty daunting task. They could pay to have it done for them by vBulletin Solutions, Inc. but that is a business decision.

Of course, the real spam issues are caused by too many open forums where a bot can sign up and spam away. Making all forums but one, lets say a pre-purchase questions forum for example, would cut down on a lot of spam.
What I'm not understanding about how much spam we're getting is how these bots are getting past the captcha thingy you need to clear to post.

What I'm not understanding about how much spam we're getting is how these bots are getting past the captcha thingy you need to clear to post.

Those captcha things only stop people who have to enter in information. Bots are automated scripts that can work around the captcha things without needing to enter in the image in formation.

Here is an example of what AI is able to do these days. While in England on vacation, I took a picture of Tewkesbury Abbey. I can go to Bing Image Search and drag the image to image search dialog to get the following results.

https://www.screencast.com/t/1pi324Gwz

Not only did it correctly recognize the building and named it but it also found images of churches built in the Gothic style with large towers. Image captcha tests don't present much of a challenge I'm afraid.

Back