Brooklyn and Queensboro Bridges before 1940?

jeffmorris

Brooklyn and Queensboro Bridges had tracks for trolley cars and elevated trains but I can't find out from photos where the tracks are. The tracks were removed in 1940s. Are there better photos or drawings showing where the tracks are?

It appears that when first built it was one lane each way on the outside for buggy traffic and then cars. Inside that was rails at about the same level and inside that was rails at a slightly higher level. Looks like by 1940 the road surface covered the outside tracks.

You might want to look into getting this book.

The Brooklyn Elevated: James C. Greller, Edward B. Watson: 9780934088206: Amazon.com: Books

I have it and there are all kinds of old photographs in it of the L showing the trolleys and subways as well as the bridges and other infrastructure. I got mine at a Greenberg train show in the early 1990s and I showed it to my grandmother who grew up in Brooklyn. Her uncles were developers who owned acres of land and when the bridge was opened, they made a mint off of it when they built the different neighborhoods. She pointed out details, which today I sadly have forgotten about many of the pictures in the book.

Back