should I upgrade to TS19 or TS22

Leonard8b6

I love fright trains and I also love to build stuff. I currently have TS12 and I'm wondering if I should upgrade to TS19 or TS22. Or is TS19 and TS22 not an upgrade but rather a different program engine?
I haven't been active in the community nor kept up with all the product changes, sorry, but I just wanted to play in the sandbox and I have a 40+ hour job and a Lot of other hobbies. That's probably why when I glanced over the different products that are available and I really don't understand what goes with what. And that would be a deciding factor.
Could someone shed some light on the different options I have? And is TS19 or TS22 worth upgrading?

They are all different products. TRS22 is the latest build but can use most of the assets created for earlier versions. Each build creates its own fully installed game.

TRS19 and TRS22 are virtually the same game (although both come with different routes), except that TRS22 supports build 5.1 (the latest Trainz asset number), while TRS19 does not (only up to 5.0). TRS22 has a few bugs but I believe they have been fixed for the most part. You get TRS22 for free(?) if you get Trainz Plus which comes with a few more cool options. Ultimately, it's up to you and what you prefer to spend your money on.

You get to keep Trainz 22 if you pay for an annual subscription to Trainz plus, only during when they have the deal going.

If you build routes, you may want to get Trainz Plus anyway because of the HD terrain which is being alpha tested by a select group. Plus has more features, which are under test. I think route compression is now in regular Trainz 22. Trainz 22 is also the supported version. There is also other features of Trainz 22, however it is late for me.

Thanks for the help guys. Answered some questions I had. I am probably going to buy TRS22 even though it's not an upgrade. But as I'm sure you all know you will spend a LOT of time creating & editing a route. Will I be able to import my TS12 routes into TRS22?
Do you mean that when you buy TRS22 you are really just renting it with a subscription? I bought TS12 as a physical DVD in a jewel case, no subscription.
Also, do you have to be connected to the internet to use/play TRS22?

Hi,
I understand that TS22 is now subscription only. At launch there was the option to keep TS22 without surveyor 2 when the subscription expired. Check with help desk to verify.

Routes from old versions (2006 upwards) import, but…
Speedtreez don’t
old scenery trees can appear semi transparent, and show their vertical planes
many items have been updated - this shouldn’t be a major problem
i imported a 2006 layout and found that some track splines has shifted just enough that the fixed track at a station or junction didn’t connect anymore.

all Trainz versions (as far as I know) will “phone home” occasionally to check their validity, so you will need an internet connection for that.

If you buy Trainz 22, then you keep it as it isn’t a subscription. If you subscribe to Trainz plus then you can use that version as long as you are subscribed, which currently is Trainz 22 plus additional features. However unless you bought an annual subscription during the special sale times, you don’t get to keep Trainz 22.

Both Trainz 19 and 22 don’t require you to be connected to the internet all the time. You must be connected once a month.

Trainz 22 is an upgrade. There is features that are not in 19 that are in 22. It has been said over and over again in many threads.

You will want a good computer with a good GPU depending on how much detail you want to be rendered.

Hi,
I understand that TS22 is now subscription only. At launch there was the option to keep TS22 without surveyor 2 when the subscription expired. Check with help desk to verify.

Routes from old versions (2006 upwards) import, but…
Speedtreez don’t
old scenery trees can appear semi transparent, and show their vertical planes
many items have been updated - this shouldn’t be a major problem
i imported a 2006 layout and found that some track splines has shifted just enough that the fixed track at a station or junction didn’t connect anymore.

all Trainz versions (as far as I know) will “phone home” occasionally to check their validity, so you will need an internet connection for that.

If you buy Trainz 22 you get to keep it. Only Trainz plus is the subscription.

I would look for a stand alone version of trainz and stay away from Digital and subscription versions. Not impressed with 22.

OP here,
I really appreciate the help from all you guys. As I have not been heavily into all the things Auran has done with Trainz over the past 20 years. And let me say I am 65 which means, I was a PC gamer back in the 90's and I knew all the latest tech, But I stopped keeping up with it all around 2007, and now it has evolved beyond my comprehension. I got started into Trainz after it had been out for 8 years, so I never understood what the different things were used for. And I just never had time to study & learn it, all I did was learned how use surveyor, not the Auran online stuff.

I would like to buy TRS22 but I don't want the required internet connection or pay a subscription. Why isn't a security or passcode you enter when installing the game good enough? And Trainz is not the type of game you play for a few months and then quite and move on to other games. I would be paying a subscription for 20 years. I mean if the subscription is just for One game not a gaming site like Playstation.

Anyway, I'm going to continue researching, learning & understanding how this Trainz web site & the products is setup to work.
I'm sure somewhere there is an instruction guide for beginners to explain all the terminologies & the details on buying and using TRS22. But good luck finding it.

A note on transferring your TS12 routes to either TRS19 or 22: If they have any outmoded trees by pofig or McGuirel, do a bulk replace to other trees before the transfer. They won't work in anything newer than 12, and they are faulty to the point that you can't do a bulk replace in the newer versions. I bought TS12 just so I could do this on older routes. Otherwise, I have to clone newer trees and give them the KUIDs of the pofig or McGuirel trees

TRS19 and TRS22 are virtually the same game (although both come with different routes), except that TRS22 supports build 5.1 (the latest Trainz asset number), while TRS19 does not (only up to 5.0). TRS22 has a few bugs but I believe they have been fixed for the most part. You get TRS22 for free(?) if you get Trainz Plus which comes with a few more cool options. Ultimately, it's up to you and what you prefer to spend your money on.
I don't think you get ts22 free definitely not in my case

Back