transferring content from TS19

johnwhelan

If I load up a layout that I have all the dependencies for in TS19 in TS22 is there a simple way to say check the TS19 install first rather than downloading everything fresh from the DLS?

Thanks John

Install the route, select it in CM, list dependencies recursively, sort by status (or filter by not installed).

If you have different DLC content installed in TRS19 vs TRS22 it's likely some deps will be in those DLC packages.

I think I was after a way to drag things over from TS19 rather than pull them in from the DLS save a bit of bandwidth. I could make a .cdp with everything I suppose.

Cheerio John

Caution making "a cdp with everything". Theres a size limit, which the content manager will gleefully ignore *making* a cdp, then stalwartly obey when trying to open it later.

I actually cobbled up a batch file to run trainzutil from yhe command line and export all the assets I wanted exported as seperate cdps after I discovered this (after I think 2 plus hours waiting on the cdp being created)

What he said. I think a max of 2GB should be OK, because if Trainz can't handle it, you can break it up with CDPExplorer. I haven't tested the limits of CDPExplorer or CM, but word to the wise.

NOTE: Making a .cdp with TRS19 builtin content included (or anythign from a DLC package) will result in texture errors. So you 'd need to filter those out and only .cdp the Download Station items.

What he said. I think a max of 2GB should be OK, because if Trainz can't handle it, you can break it up with CDPExplorer. I haven't tested the limits of CDPExplorer or CM, but word to the wise.

And another word to the wise, in my experience if trainz can't handle it, neither can CDP explorer. Kicks out an unhandled exception and any attempt to export an item gets another error about the file being in use.

For groups of assets larger than 2GB you can also just select and Open for Edit in one version and import that file into the other version. (Again being careful not to include packaged content as it sill show errors due to missing textures).

Setup a filter in Content Manager to hide built-in and packaged assets and then sort the assets by author to keep them organized.

High-light and open up a single author's assets.

Using Windows Explorer, you can then drag those assets into TRS22 Content Manager.
Once the content is imported, revert those open assets in TRS19 Content Manager to original and then repeat the process with another batch.

The alternative to dragging and dropping is to use a batch file to automate the process using Trainz Util. I did this to import my content into TRS19.

PS C:\Program Files\N3V Games\Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019> ./trainzutil installfrompath F:\TANE_DATA\editing

Substitute the bold items from your TRS22 program and data location.

TIP:

I more than highly recommend opening up only a few hundred assets at a time. The import process really pushes the CPU to 100% utilization and really eats up the RAM. You may also want to increase the size of your page file as well. I have found that really helps as well for this kind of work. If you are using a regular hard drive, you should stop and periodically defragment the drive. I found that really helps with the performance.

Last edited:
I think the wish list for Christmas is have TS22 and possibly other versions have the ability to search through existing local installs to bring in content that is available locally before reaching out to the DLS. Saves bandwidth and DLS resources besides being faster to bring things in.

Cheerio John

Back