How do I install Trainz to a pre-existing save?

DARTrider

Goofy Fictional RR Owner
I've recently fixed my Windows machine and am able to run Trainz again. I've already got a save on my computer, but I lost the main program file when I wiped my computer to reinstall Windows. Does anyone know how to point Trainz at that save when you install it? Thank you!

If the install does not give you an option, you might have to do a generic install, then use the instructions in Trainz Settings (install tab) to move your content, but just point it at the current location.

You mean your existing data?

Start Trainz.
At the Launcher, click on Trainz settings.
Click on the Install tab.
Click on the ... on the right.

A Windows Explorer window opens up...

Browse to where your old data folder is located.

Once you find it, click the select button.

Trainz will need to be restarted after a quick database translations message.

If you can't find your old data folder, then it's probably hidden in the AppData folder. You need to show hidden folders.

You could even move your data folder to another location and rename it to something else prior to performing the steps above. If you have another hard drive, I highly recommend putting the data folder in that location and then connecting to it following the steps above.

You mean your existing data?

Start Trainz.
At the Launcher, click on Trainz settings.
Click on the Install tab.
Click on the ... on the right.

A Windows Explorer window opens up...

Browse to where your old data folder is located.

Once you find it, click the select button.

Trainz will need to be restarted after a quick database translations message.

If you can't find your old data folder, then it's probably hidden in the AppData folder. You need to show hidden folders.

You could even move your data folder to another location and rename it to something else prior to performing the steps above. If you have another hard drive, I highly recommend putting the data folder in that location and then connecting to it following the steps above.

Problem is I don't have trainz.exe or the AppData folder. I reset my entire C: drive and the AppData folder along with it. I was wanting to install and point the install at my pre-existing save right from the get-go.

Problem is I don't have trainz.exe or the AppData folder. I reset my entire C: drive and the AppData folder along with it. I was wanting to install and point the install at my pre-existing save right from the get-go.

You weren't very clear. The way you wrote it, it made it appear as though you had the program installed but not the old data.

With that said, no backups of your data you are SOL!

There's nothing that can be done with that now even if you had a utility to recover data because you've already written new data on to the drive.

You can download your Trainz versions from your My Trainz account.

So, to clarify, when you say you have a "save" on your computer, are you talking about your content folder being in a location other than the standard location of Appdata? If so, my suggestion should work.

You weren't very clear. The way you wrote it, it made it appear as though you had the program installed but not the old data.

With that said, no backups of your data you are SOL!

There's nothing that can be done with that now even if you had a utility to recover data because you've already written new data on to the drive.

You can download your Trainz versions from your My Trainz account.

I should have probably also said I lost the install folder (the one generated before starting the first time), not the data folder. The Data folder was stored on a backup drive and it was kept intact. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
OK, so you can do a generic install, then restore your data folder to where you want it to be, then point Trainz to it using the instructions on the launch screen - Trainz settings -Install tab - "Instructions for moving your content..." button.

When I had to restore my game, I followed these steps:

Backup old appdata folder on separate drive or location so it wont be overwritten or deleted on reinstall.

Install the game. Once finished, load the game atleast once. You need it to create a folder so you can merge them.

Once you've done that, close the game. Find your new appdata folder, find the correct subfolder that's actually holding all the data. Can be tricky but the best way to be sure is to take a screenshot of something during that first load up. You should see your screenshot in the subfolder.

Merge your backup subfolder to the new one. Since your old folder is out of date probably, deny overwrites as those will probably be payware and built in stuff.

Once you're done, load the game, let the extended database repair do its work. See how it goes. No garuntees it'll work, but it's worth a shot.

OK, so you can do a generic install, then restore your data folder to where you want it to be, then point Trainz to it using the instructions on the launch screen - Trainz settings -Install tab - "Instructions for moving your content..." button.

Yup, that'll do it or use my instructions above and do the browse thing.

I highly recommend renaming your build folder to something else such as TRS19_DATA and putting it somewhere else other than your AppData folder. The reason is it makes it easier to back up the folder and to find it should you need to edit assets. This is one of the big advantages of T: ANE and up.

Last edited:
Thank you all! However I'm still getting an error when installing. This happens all the time now and has never happened before.

Screenshot-2023-01-23-205202.png

Thank you all! However I'm still getting an error when installing. This happens all the time now and has never happened before.

Screenshot-2023-01-23-205202.png

Download the full installer from My Trainz rather the smaller version which goes back and downloads the rest of the data.

When installing, exclude the installer from your antivirus program.

Thank you all so much! Trainz installed and is running a DBR to recognize my database. You guys are a great help to me!

Back