Surveyor 2.0 - Texture over Track?

WAEP11

I have a baseboard with a default grass texture, which I then lay track on. After laying the track, I use the Brush Tool to paint a ground texture, and it appears to change the terrain and raise it into the tracks. It also creates a fractured texture appearance near the edges of the painted texture which cut into the ballast. I'd include a picture, but I don't seem to be able to.

Thanks for any tips!

I believe this may be caused by mixing one of the newer PBR-type textures with older textures. Try painting a texture with PBR in the title to see if it has the same results or not. The track may also need to be of the newer variety, you should be able to tell the difference by the ballast. I'm just getting started in route-building, so just a thought until someone more knowledgeable comes along.

I believe this may be caused by mixing one of the newer PBR-type textures with older textures. Try painting a texture with PBR in the title to see if it has the same results or not. The track may also need to be of the newer variety, you should be able to tell the difference by the ballast. I'm just getting started in route-building, so just a thought until someone more knowledgeable comes along.

You are a lifesaver! Thanks for the tip! I repainted the baseboards with "PBR Grass Mixed 37", and then tried painting "PBR Gravel 4 - Seasonal" under the track area, and I don't get those weird visual artifacts anymore! I am using "newer" tracks though, in case someone else stumbles on this in the future.

So, how do we know which textures are "safe"? Is it just as simple as only using stuff marked as PBR?

Thanks again!

Coble12 is correct. This is caused by the PBR textures and regular textures mixing. You can fix this two different ways.

1) Repaint everything in PBR and be done with it. There are some advantages to PBR textures but as you can see they're not very forgiving.

2) Lower your performance settings in the Trainz Settings panel.

Shader quality = Standard
Texture detail = Normal

This will flatten the PBR textures and then they'll work with regular textures as well and you won't have buried track and roads. The other advantage is that you'll actually have some better game performance because PBR textures put a bit of a load on your video card.

Now that I can paint textures, my biggest problem is deciding how I want to layout the track! :)

I notice the PBR textures are "bumpy", is raising the track bed the best way to fully use those textures around track?

Now that I can paint textures, my biggest problem is deciding how I want to layout the track! :)

I notice the PBR textures are "bumpy", is raising the track bed the best way to fully use those textures around track?

You can try lifting the track bed but that'll become cumbersome as your route becomes more and more complex. As you climb grades, you'll have to remember to add that difference between the height and the surface which will become a pain.

You can, however, try adjusting the texture scale smaller and see if that helps. Some PBR textures are over-sized or just too big no matter what scale you set, so you'll have to experiment with different textures until you find something that's suitable. For some good ballast textures, take a look at those by Samplaire. His textures begin with SAM as the prefix.

Hey John, you just identified my problem that I referenced in the thread "Ghost Texture" that I started. I eventually had to delete the texture kuid that I had downloaded from the Download Station that I had applied OVER a PBR texture. The PBR texture is a ballast that is too big in scale and I found another ballast of a very fine scale that looked more realistic, but alas, would not work.
Is there any way to get rid of the PBR texture that I painted all over my route, since painting over it will not work?

Thanks.

Hey John, you just identified my problem that I referenced in the thread "Ghost Texture" that I started. I eventually had to delete the texture kuid that I had downloaded from the Download Station that I had applied OVER a PBR texture. The PBR texture is a ballast that is too big in scale and I found another ballast of a very fine scale that looked more realistic, but alas, would not work.
Is there any way to get rid of the PBR texture that I painted all over my route, since painting over it will not work?

Thanks.

Hi Connel,

You can do this using the Replace assets tool. You need to switch to the old Classic Surveyor to do this because that tool hasn't been implemented yet in Surveyor 2.0.

I'm noticing that mixing PBR texture scales can cause the same sort of artifacts as mixing PBR and non-PBR. I guess all of this requires a bit of patience!

I'm noticing that mixing PBR texture scales can cause the same sort of artifacts as mixing PBR and non-PBR. I guess all of this requires a bit of patience!

I've found the same thing. This is caused by some textures being scaled too large causing the big rifts and spaces.

Coble12 is correct. This is caused by the PBR textures and regular textures mixing. You can fix this two different ways.

1) Repaint everything in PBR and be done with it. There are some advantages to PBR textures but as you can see they're not very forgiving.

2) Lower your performance settings in the Trainz Settings panel.

Shader quality = Standard
Texture detail = Normal

This will flatten the PBR textures and then they'll work with regular textures as well and you won't have buried track and roads. The other advantage is that you'll actually have some better game performance because PBR textures put a bit of a load on your video card.

Hello,

I've found that on TRS22 only setting shader quality to standard is working.

Back