Set Camera Rule: WARNING. N3V, What The Hey?!

RHKluckhohn

There is a new version of the SET CAMERA rule on the DLS: <kuid:-25:1486> Set Camera build 4.5, dated 29 November 2022. 1486 locks the cab controls for a length of time I haven't the patience to determine, but is certainly in excess of a minute.

Supposedly in version 4.5, it seems to have automatically installed in my build 105766 T:ANE in the last week or two, obsoleting the built-in -25:179. In weaseled into a session I updated yesterday and fouled up the session start.

A different session created about two weeks ago did not include 1486, it has 179 installed, so we can guess this update occurred somewhere between.
Deleting 1486 and re-entering Set Camera in the affected session seems to have reolved the issue.

N3V's recent reduction of Help Desk functionality prevents posting a trouble ticket on this issue. Be on your guard accordingly.

There is also a
<kuid:-25:1266> Set Camera build 2.0 rule dated 30 November 2022 which I have not tested, nor do I intend to without some clarification from N3V since 179 continues to work just fine.

>:B~[

I've noticed the 1486 version is there in my install of TRS19. However, it claims the installation date is 23rd Jan 2022. I've never used this rule, so forgive my ignorance, what does it do and how does it work?

Paul

I've noticed the 1486 version is there in my install of TRS19. However, it claims the installation date is 23rd Jan 2022. I've never used this rule, so forgive my ignorance, what does it do and how does it work?

Paul

OK, I'm stonkered on this one. To answer your question first, Set Camera is a session rule which allows you to (a) focus or apply the camera to one object or vehicle, (b) select a view (cab, external, tracking &c.) and (c) regulate which views the human has available. If (a) is not set, it uses the existing focus, so if Cinematic Camera is used first you don't need to set (a), and since Driver sets focus on the first driver in the Driver list, Set Camera defaults to that locomotive. If (c) is not selected the normal view functions operate. This rule can be used ad lib when you want to program view changes in a session.

I did put in a trouble ticket on the matter with no response so far. However, after re-engineering my older session to excise 1486 and uploading it to DLS as version 4, I find on re-downloading the modified session that again 1486 comes with it, and it now appears to work. So perhaps there was a corruption in version 3? Or perhaps N3V made a quick fix? I think the first is more likely.

It also looks like the more recent ECML session is using 1486 without issues.

I mentioned 1266 above -- it is an older version, obsoleted by 179 and hence by 1486 which obsoletes both.

:B~)

If you are old enough to remember the great Gilda Radner on Saturday Night Live, the correct phrase would be "never mind".

...Set Camera is a session rule which allows you to (a) focus or apply the camera to one object or vehicle, (b) select a view (cab, external, tracking &c.) and (c) regulate which views the human has available. If (a) is not set, it uses the existing focus, so if Cinematic Camera is used first you don't need to set (a), and since Driver sets focus on the first driver in the Driver list, Set Camera defaults to that locomotive. If (c) is not selected the normal view functions operate. This rule can be used ad lib when you want to program view changes in a session.
Thanks for this. I might try it out, I've been wondering how you can get more control over the cameras in the route. I often find their default behavior frustrating!

Paul

Back