UK Trainsim Closing Down

Vern

Trainz Maverick
Probably of minor interest as there is only a handful of Trainz content hosted there but UK Trainsim http://www.uktrainsim.com/ is closing down on 31st August 2023. Any files hosted there will be lost unless the authors take action to archive and upload elsewhere.

They have a notice, but don't give a reason. I am curious if the downloads that say "Train Simulator" are actually for Trainz or some other simulator? It would be great if they could upload to DLS, otherwise you can download them for personal use, but if you use them in a route and then try to share the route, they will all be unfindable unknowns.

From what I can gather reading between the lines, a loss of interest (Matt Peddlesen is now a senior exec at DTG), costs of maintaining the server vs. subscriptions coming in. MSTS is all but dead apart from a few die hard fans and the forum there is also pretty much dead. Alan Thomson (ATS) seems to have taken over as the nexus for TSC while discussion around DTG products tends to be focused on their in house forum, as Trainz is largely discussed here.

They have a notice, but don't give a reason. I am curious if the downloads that say "Train Simulator" are actually for Trainz or some other simulator? It would be great if they could upload to DLS, otherwise you can download them for personal use, but if you use them in a route and then try to share the route, they will all be unfindable unknowns.

Train Simulator is the name of the DTG sim although it is now been renamed to Train Simulator Classic on Steam. The site also has files for the original MSTS as well as its open source offspring. Most of the files are pretty old.

Back