TRS22 picklist

big_b

Tried to move a picklist between two installs. If I follow the Wiki Instructions and copy to Note Pad when coping to the new install all that is copied across is the first Kuid in the list.
Can I do it by saving a picklist as a CDP?
If I can how do I install the CDP File as a Picklist
last time I did this I think was in TRS12 when I just copied the ( assets.tdx file) between installs

You can do what you want to do in Content Manager.

Click on the Filter and scroll that down to Edit Filters and Picklists...

Find a picklist you want to export.

Right-click on that and choose List Assets in New Window.

This will open up a normal Content Manager window that you can then highlight assets and export them to a CDP.

Regarding two installs...

You can copy the full database from one and put that on another computer. When you setup your second copy of TRS22, you can the point the Install location to your copied database. If all goes well, you won't even need to login because your username and password will already be there in the database. I do this all the time when I copy my big database to an external drive for use with my laptop when I travel.

The trouble with using CDP files to copy picklists is that everything in every asset in the picklist (the texture files, the script files, the config.txt files, the sound files, etc) is copied into the CDP file. The resulting CDP can be MBs in size.

A picklist only contains the <kuid> codes of the assets in the list - no textures, no scripts, etc. So copying the picklist as a text file is faster and takes up a fraction of the file size.

The trouble with using CDP files to copy picklists is that everything in every asset in the picklist (the texture files, the script files, the config.txt files, the sound files, etc) is copied into the CDP file. The resulting CDP can be MBs in size.

A picklist only contains the <kuid> codes of the assets in the list - no textures, no scripts, etc. So copying the picklist as a text file is faster and takes up a fraction of the file size.

I tried the text file way but when I copy past it into the new install as I said only the first kuid actually pastes into the new install for some reason although the entire picklist kuid list is in notepad

Hmmm. I just tested it on Trainz+ by using the text method to copy a picklist from my Trainz+ install to my Trainz+ (beta) install and it worked perfectly.

Hmmm. I just tested it on Trainz+ by using the text method to copy a picklist from my Trainz+ install to my Trainz+ (beta) install and it worked perfectly.

Found the problem .
When copied into notepad the kuids formed a list 1 kuid per line
To get them all to move into into new install I had to hit delete at the end of each kuid from beginning to end so they were continuous without spaces between them after that they all copied fine

Glad to hear you have solved the main issue. But I don't understand why each kuid was copied onto a separate line in MS NotePad. I use NotePad++ (a free alternative) and thought that that might be the difference so I just tried it in MS NotePad and all the kuids were paced into a single line. There are no settings in MS NotePad that would affect this that I could see.

A mystery.

Just a thought on your problem.

How are you transferring the selected assets kuids from CM to Notepad?

If you highlight all the assets in CM and then use Copy and Paste you will certainly get them all in Notepad on separate lines.

If that is the case then you have missed some important steps:-

1. right click on one of the highlighted assets and select List Assets in New Window
2. left click in the <KUID> filter list at the top of the new window, press Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C
3. open Notepad (or similar) and press Ctrl+V

Just a thought on your problem.

How are you transferring the selected assets kuids from CM to Notepad?

If you highlight all the assets in CM and then use Copy and Paste you will certainly get them all in Notepad on separate lines.

If that is the case then you have missed some important steps:-

1. right click on one of the highlighted assets and select List Assets in New Window
2. left click in the <KUID> filter list at the top of the new window, press Ctrl+A then Ctrl+C
3. open Notepad (or similar) and press Ctrl+V

There the steps I followed, and they still end up as a list in note.
I've tried a few different ways and always a list.
But at least I can get them copied over.

I made the same mistake and copied the list from CM into Notepad and then went through and deleted the line breaks manually a few days ago. I have a few more picklists to restore and will try this method. For some reason I lost them all when moving to a new data folder but I kept a backup of my old build and copied each one into a txt file. I can access them from that although it is probably quicker now I have text files to do Find and Replace in Notepad++

Kind regards,

Gary

The difference between Windows Notepad and Notepad++ is as old as the difference between Windows and other operating systems. Windows adds both a Carriage Return (CR) and a Line Feed (LF) at the end of each line. Linux, MacOS and other operating systems (and Notepad++) only add a Line Feed. Hence it is very difficult to get a Windows app like Notepad to keep things on one line. It's kind of automatic.

Last edited:
Back