How do you trim water past a table edge?

I am using dig-outs to create the edges of a model railroad table base. I also want a river scene to go to one of the edges. However, even though the table base edges are defined by the grid limitations of the “base”, the water function extends beyond this edge even when using the smallest radius. I assumed the inserted water surface would stop wherever the dugout had been inserted. I thought I might be able to trim this excess with another dig-out placed over the extended water but it would not insert. I assume because a dig-out is already there? Does anyone have a solution for this? Thanks in advance.

I've never found a way to make this happen. What I usually do to cover the water edges is adjust the vertical fascia (use a thick one) far enough to hide the edges of the water. Sometimes this messes with the width of your aisles, but it does work. Another way is to clip off the water before it reaches the edge and cover the hole left over with a piece of wharf, a clump of land, or even a big rock. Nearly all of my model train routes don't use dig-holes, which only deal with terrain. Water is on its own layer and not tied to terrain.

Bill

For classic water the baseboards are divided into 20m x 20m squares, no matter which resolution is used for the ground. The smallest radius of the brush always fills one of these squares.

Peter

I have a route, with the new water, where there is an edge that is below the origin elevation. There the edge has permanent water that slopes sharply upward to the original elevation. Like a wall of water there.

Adding an extra baseboard, lowering the water on it, then deleting the extra baseboard doesn't fix it. It's just there.

A big howling BUG in the water (effects) layer (grass does it too if I get too close).

I gave up and slapped a backdrop asset there to hide it.

Last edited:
Thanks to all. Bummer. I guess the 20x20 thing works for large areas or lakes on a “real size” railroad, but makes creeks and other water more challenging when designing model railroads with limited depth areas, even if it goes under the terrain.

The biggest challenge for the use of water is creating a long, wide river. If you're true to the terrain, water will, of course, flow downhill. Since the water from the tool always spreads out at one height, you're eventually going to climb out of the descending banks. Various methods for taking this into account. My favorite is a small rill, or dam across the river. If it is wide enough, you hide the "jaggies" under a rolling waterfall, or maybe a small dam. It does work. You have to be careful when applying the next-lower water level though or you'll get too close and the water will snap to the new level, making your upper river much lower, or your lower river much higher. Doing water takes a steady hand.

Bill

The old S1.0 water will fill a grid square (10 x 10) so if you have the 5m grid square baseboard grid you need to make sure the dig hole is at the 10m grid line and not the 5m grid line.

Back