What railroads are in you hometown

Here by me, there's only one line, North - South, and that's the CSX. Although, I think it's neat that it's "technically" the original L&N mainline.

Live in Colorado so I have the Union Pacific, BNSF, and RTD (Regional Transport District) G-line*
I know the last post was over three years ago.

*If they can get the A-line to work
:hehe:

In and around my old hometown...

Union Pacific (ex-C&NW) has two lines, one is exclusively freight while the other is mostly Metra. There is a short (1-2 mile) link between the two.
Canadian National (ex-EJ&E) has a very lightly used branch line on the outskirts of town, it runs through my childhood backyard.

A few miles west of town is Canadian Pacific (ex-MILW), which shares tracks with Amtrak, Metra and the Wisconsin & Southern. Metra and the WSOR branch off to the west here. There is also a disused interchange with the CN branch.
This is where I did the bulk of my childhood trainspotting.

A few miles further west beyond that is the Canadian National (ex-SOO/WC) main line, which also sees Metra service. There the CN branch crosses and interchanges with the main.

All three (two after 1955) lines of the Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee also converged there prior to 1963.

That would mean, in 1950 there were 9 individual rail lines within a 6 mile radius of my childhood home (3 of them were gone before my lifetime).
Such is life in the suburbs of the country's railroad capital.

Last edited:
About 2 or 3 miles from my house there is some NS double tracked mainline. Trains run through very frequently but I never get to railfan them, at least not yet. I live right next to Pottstown, PA and that means I am also close to Reading, PA. In Birdsboro, PA, there is another class 3 railway owned by HKGX. HKGX is a stone supplier but they also supply rock for Norfolk Southern's ballast. HKGX actually sold their 2 GP40s to the RBMN for 2 of their SD40-2s. They run at very slow speeds because the line runs through town a little bit. It doesn't street run but they have 2 crossings in the middle of town.

The Reading Blue Mountain and Northern Railway, which is a class 3 railway, has a mainline that goes from Reading all the way to Mehoopany, PA. It also goes in many other directions with branchlines but the line also goes to STEAMTOWN! I have railfanned it already because my papy has a house directly across from the tracks!

Last edited:
Living in Daggett, California, I see BNSF/UP on a regular basis and plenty of other company's railroads along the tracks there, even saw a Canadian National engine and one from Mexico at one time!

There were also four narrow-gauge railroads that served the mines around Calico in the early 1900's: the Borate & Daggett Railroad, the Calico (Waterloo Mining) Railroad, and the Western Mineral and Borax Properties Ltd. gravity railroads.

Where i live, in Folsom CA, there used to be a railroad that ran from Sacramento all the way down to where old Folsom is now, i believe it even became a SP subsidiary at one point. When local light rail was built, they actually traced the line of the old railroad. As for the fate of the railroad itself? It basically closed down and most of its trackage torn up, a small sliver of its Folsom railyard remains, now being used by a "historical railroad". (i say that word lightly as all they have to operate is rail speeders) Not all of the trackage was torn up, near where light rail leaves Folsom city limits some of the trackage remains, being used to service industries between Sacramento and Folsom, Highlight industries include:
An Aerojet research center, (the trackage is now closed off and unused, from what can be seen on google earth the tracks run quite close to the old booster test harnesses)
a steel company (i saw a UP SD or GP series diesel service this industry once)
and finally a old branch where trains once delivered munitions to B-52s that were stationed at what was Mather AFB back in the day.

Now as for some of the more well known nearby rail infrastructure, I have seen:

Sacramento (California state RR museum, Sac station, whats left of the sac shops, Cap corridor, the old WP station)
Roseville yard (i go railfanning there)

As for the RRs i have near me.
UP
AMTRK
BNSF
Light Rail (i don't know if that counts but...)
So all and all.....i got alot of neat stuff nearby.

Lincoln Nebraska. Currently its a UP branch, The BNSF and our own little shortline the Omaha, Lincoln and Beatrice (OL&B). Prior to the 1980s it had The BN, UP, C&NW, MP. CRI&P and the OL&B.

Where I am now, I am between the BNSF Chillicothe Sub (ex ATSF) and the BNSF Chicago Sub (ex CB&Q). My childhood hometown, Summerville, SC, has a Norfolk Southern line from Charleston to Columbia (ex Southern).

Last edited:
Back