Question regarding PC disks.

Memeyisaword

Hi. Recently I have been setting up a brand-new gaming PC to help run games such as Trainz more smoothly with higher quality graphics. However, before I begin any real downloading, I just want to see if I can get some help with a question I have about disks; What types of downloads should go where? I have 2 different storage drives on my PC. A 930 GB SSD, currently with 881 GBs of storage free because of Windows 11 being installed on there. And a 1.81 TB HDD with nothing on it at all. What I'm mainly trying to figure out is should a certain game (E.g., Trainz and Steam games) go on a certain drive, should certain applications (E.g., anti-virus) go on a certain drive and so on. Thanks in advance to those who offer help.

Regards, Douglas.

The SSD should have higher performance, but if the rest of your system is up to speed it should not be a critical factor. The HDD has more storage, and with newer assets getting larger and larger if you collect a lot of routes and assets that could become an issue. I am an admitted packrat and Trainz junkie and have exceeded 1TB (each!) with T:ANE and TRS19. I am sure others will insist that the SSD is a critical factor, but I have run both T:ANE and TRS19 from an external USB-2 hard drive and have not had issues. As always, YMMV.

The SSD should have higher performance, but if the rest of your system is up to speed it should not be a critical factor. The HDD has more storage, and with newer assets getting larger and larger if you collect a lot of routes and assets that could become an issue. I am an admitted packrat and Trainz junkie and have exceeded 1TB (each!) with T:ANE and TRS19. I am sure others will insist that the SSD is a critical factor, but I have run both T:ANE and TRS19 from an external USB-2 hard drive and have not had issues. As always, YMMV.
Alright. well, I think that's that pretty much sorted for me. Thank you very much for the help. :)

Back