A little Train music interlude for your morning, afternoon, or evening

Forester1

City of New Orleans, by the original author, Steve Goodman. Unfortunately, shortly after being discovered, he was diagnosed with Leukemia at 20 and died in 1984. The song has been done by Willy Nelson, Arlo Guthrie, Johnny Cash, and others.

I always liked " The City of New Orleans". Great song and fun to play.

Here's another one you don't hear much about these days. One of Alabama's most under-rated songs. One of my favorite train songs by a great band.

Ride the Train

Last edited:
Nice one, JimDep! The drumming on that is quite a challenge, especially at the end.
Dave, Johnny Cash did a lot of train songs in his day. One of my favorites is the Wabash Cannonball, which actually came from his mother, Maybelle Carter:

The drumming on that is quite a challenge, especially at the end.

I'm not a drummer but I'm sure that pattern is tough to play and get it right, especially while slowing down the tempo toward the end before it picks back up again. When Elvis did a cover of Folsom Prison Blues (another great train song ) during one of his live shows, his drummer Ronnie Tutt did that same drum groove during the intro. That drum beat works great for up tempo train songs.

Back