Amtrak announces new Airo trains

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
Surprised no one posted on the Forums about this. They announced this three weeks ago on December 15th, 2022. These trains are due to debut in 2026.

And here's a more in-depth video about the Airo Trains

Here's all the routes that the Airo trains will run on:
-Northeast Regional
-Hartford Line
-Valley Flyer
-Downeaster
-Keystone Service
-Pennsylvanian
-Palmetto
-Carolinian
-Empire Service
-Maple Leaf
-Adirondack
-Ethan Allen Express
-Cascades

Cool!

I may actually spot the Downeaster as it passes by. Right now, we've got a cabbage and a P42with Amfleet coaches in between.

Last edited:
Have to say, I still don't like how the front of the new Amtrak locomotives look. they always look like they have an overbite or are missing bits on the front. I don't know, they just look, off. P42's beat everything by miles to me. Cool they are geting some proper train sets though, good to see some regional transport coming back to the US after 70 years of "you don't have a car? tough, you cant go anywhere easy!"

Have to say, I still don't like how the front of the new Amtrak locomotives look. they always look like they have an overbite or are missing bits on the front. I don't know, they just look, off. P42's beat everything by miles to me. Cool they are geting some proper train sets though, good to see some regional transport coming back to the US after 70 years of "you don't have a car? tough, you cant go anywhere easy!"

I think it's because these are European designs and are missing the buffers and extra stuff in the front that we don't have.

We definitely need more regional service, though. So many areas are left out of the network still and people are required to have a vehicle. Granted, there are places in the middle of the country where this is impractical but in the bigger corridors this would be great with more frequent service rather than making the trains a second thought and a third-rate service as they have been since the 1960s.

Back