New BR Mk1 coaches - thanks N3V!

Paulsw2

Ambling on the slow line
They're kind of hidden away (in classic N3V style) in the new 'Tornado' DLC release, but packaged in there is a virtually complete set of Mk1 coaches in blue and grey livery! :clap:

52592754138_70d8447deb_h.jpg

My first response if that they look very good indeed and only a few issues need to be ironed-out (I think the livery is slightly 'off' with the blue needing to be a bit more green and the BCK, as you can see above, has mislaid the stepping board on the underframe which should be under the guard's and first class door but has been displaced to the right). However, these are quibbles.

A few suggestions:
  • Could these Mk1s be uncoupled from the Tornado package and sold as a separate DLC package for TRS22? I think it's too niche if they're reserved for Gold or Plus members only.
  • Will they be made available in BR maroon as this would benefit anyone modelling British Railways in the 1950s and 60s? Beyond that, regional liveries (choc and cream for Western Region and green for Southern Region) offer additional opportunities for DLC packs.
  • This is a very comprehensive package and includes a catering vehicle - an RMB or miniature buffet - however, a full scale buffet/kitchen car such as the RB would complete the set if it were possible.
  • I notice that the coaches feature B1, B4 and Commonwealth bogies across the set (in a somewhat random order). Is it, or should it, be possible to toggle between different bogies for each coach?
I'm grateful to N3V for releasing these coaches. However much we enjoy building routes and obsess about the quality of the lighting, game engine or terrain building, there's still nothing to beat the excitement of acquiring new model trains to run on our routes. So this is a very happy Christmas for me!

I've posted this thread both to draw attention to this new release and to see if anyone shares my excitement (am I a lone Mk1 obsessive?) and for any other feedback.

Paul

These are indeed very welcome and a great start!

In addition to the choc/cream and green liveries, hopefully a correct version of the carmine and cream will be released and then there's a mutlitude of later liveries.. (Pilkington livery anyone? :confused:)

Bodyshell wise, there a number of catering vehicles which would be very useful (RK, RFO, RSO, RU/RU(B), Griddle) as well as the suburban and sleeper stock - then there's a whole host of EMUs.....

The ability to swap bogies between the bodyshells would be handy - could this be done by the script I wonder?

The interior lighting is nice touch - possibly the first UK stock in Trainz to have this feature?

Last edited:
Do these have the updated interiors as is the case with the new Maroon Mk 1's included in the Looe to Liskeard route?

Thanks for the update, IsambardKingdomBrunel. That is most unsettling about the sound. Payware should be top notch.

Hi All
I've also replied in another thread, but would like to thank you everyone for the feedback here as well. I have passed this on to our team for them to look into further, along with some other feedback we have received from other locations :)

As the team are on holidays at the moment, it might take a little bit for us to make a proper list of what needs doing, and what can be changed in a reasonable time.

Could these Mk1s be uncoupled from the Tornado package and sold as a separate DLC package for TRS22? I think it's too niche if they're reserved for Gold or Plus members only.
Tornado is currently only available for gold and plus, however we will be reviewing this again after a period of time :) Unfortunately carriage packages on their own can be a little difficult to sell, so we do think having it packaged with a popular locomotive will help both us sell them better, and help more people find the carriages :)

Will they be made available in BR maroon as this would benefit anyone modelling British Railways in the 1950s and 60s? Beyond that, regional liveries (choc and cream for Western Region and green for Southern Region) offer additional opportunities for DLC packs.
Liveries alone are fairly easy for us, however it is worth noting that earlier era models require a bit more work. Once we're fully back from holidays in the new year, we'll hopefully look into further variants that can be made from them though! The more we can get from them the better ;)

This is a very comprehensive package and includes a catering vehicle - an RMB or miniature buffet - however, a full scale buffet/kitchen car such as the RB would complete the set if it were possible.

Bodyshell wise, there a number of catering vehicles which would be very useful (RK, RFO, RSO, RU/RU(B), Griddle) as well as the suburban and sleeper stock - then there's a whole host of EMUs.....
Combining two here; further variations is something else we can look into in the new year, but is of course a lot more work than new liveries :) We'll see though!

I notice that the coaches feature B1, B4 and Commonwealth bogies across the set (in a somewhat random order). Is it, or should it, be possible to toggle between different bogies for each coach?
Unfortunately swapping bogies isn't available through script, and mesh-swapping is not as efficient as we would like in this case. However in theory we may be able to provide some alias assets that would allow you to make additional versions with alternate bogies...

The interior lighting is nice touch - possibly the first UK stock in Trainz to have this feature?
Thanks! Interior lighting, personally, is an important feature for carriages, and with PBR it can be made to look so good! I think the MK1s in the Liskaerd to Looe pack also featured this, as did the railcars. Possible also the updated Duchess pack as well. :)

But the A1 sounds are abysmal for payware.
First, I don't think it's fair to say that Tony's work is abysmal. However unfortunately there are very few creators making sounds for UK steam locomotives for Trainz at this point; and for us sending a team over to the UK to record Tornado, and then the cost of creating sounds from recordings, is simply not a viable prospect at the current time, as much we would like to do so. Possibly in future we might be able to work with someone in the community to bring new sounds for UK steam to Trainz, but unfortunately this isn't an option right now.

I will also add that we are also intending, from the new year, that new releases will go through a public beta pass in TCCP so that we can gain further feedback before a full release, as more eyes are definitely better here, as everyone's feedback has shown! :)

Thanks again guys!
Zec

This item is only available if you own a Trainz Plus Standard or Trainz Plus Gold membership.
So sayeth this webpage https://store.trainzportal.com/collections/new-releases/products/tornado-the-a1-steam-locomotive

I have ordinary Tinware Trainz +Plus for which I pay a monthly subscription and I can't see so much as a hint of the Tornado pack in the on-line Content Store app attached to my copy of TRS22. And come to that I don't seem to be able to give N3V money to buy the Tornado pack outright like I did with the Potteries Loop Line just recently.

By the way Zec I'd be completely happy to pay serious money for a Mk1 carriage pack that contains all the 1950s Mk1 liveries. My present Mk1 sets are payware from the TS2009 era and they are well and truly in need of replacement.

You can prevaricate as much as you like Zec, the sounds are not good enough for a payware release.

Just about passable if the loco was freeware. The looping is diabolical and remember people are paying for the privilege of using these addons.

Mike.

If those coaches were included by default in TRS22 standalone version, that might go some way to sweetening the eye watering price.

Thanks for the comprehensive response Zec. As others have said, you've made a really good start with these coaches. For anyone modelling British Railways after 1952, a good set of Mk1 coaches is really essential so I'm sure you appreciate how important this release is and that we maximise its potential. Some specific responses:

Tornado is currently only available for gold and plus, however we will be reviewing this again after a period of time :) Unfortunately carriage packages on their own can be a little difficult to sell, so we do think having it packaged with a popular locomotive will help both us sell them better, and help more people find the carriages :)
I do take issue with this Zec - there's no way I would have spotted that new Mk1 coaches were packaged with Tornado if this hadn't been mentioned on another community forum. I downloaded expecting the carmine and cream (railtour) versions and was totally surprised to see the blue and grey ones. They shouldn't be a surprise item! Packaging them separately as a DLC pack is a revenue opportunity for N3V so I'm bemused that you don't seem to want to seize it. (By all means keep the carmine railtour versions with Tornado because that fits, but the blue and grey versions?) Also, I'd like to buy them as DLC so, if I'm unable to maintain a Gold subscription in the future, I won't lose them.

Liveries alone are fairly easy for us, however it is worth noting that earlier era models require a bit more work. Once we're fully back from holidays in the new year, we'll hopefully look into further variants that can be made from them though! The more we can get from them the better ;)
I assume you mean that authentic 1950s/60s versions would require some alteration to the mesh (eg. jumper cables etc.) and not just a change of livery? Fair enough, though I'm not a rivet counter so at a push I'd accept alternative liveries applied to the models as is, so to speak. The key alternative livery to offer is maroon (as that will cover c.1956 through to the late 60s), though I take the points made by Anthony about carmine and cream.

Unfortunately swapping bogies isn't available through script, and mesh-swapping is not as efficient as we would like in this case. However in theory we may be able to provide some alias assets that would allow you to make additional versions with alternate bogies...
Yes, I've just tried swapping the B1 for the B4 bogie on the SK and it threw up a whole load of errors (which I assume are unlocked as soon as the asset is opened for editing.) I'd be delighted if you offered some alias assets because the three new bogies do look to me to be of very high quality, so it's a shame not to make maximum use of them.

I will also add that we are also intending, from the new year, that new releases will go through a public beta pass in TCCP so that we can gain further feedback before a full release, as more eyes are definitely better here, as everyone's feedback has shown! :)
As I said on the other thread, this is a great idea. This community is a mine of knowledge and experience, so N3V may as well benefit from it! :p

Paul

So sayeth this webpage https://store.trainzportal.com/collections/new-releases/products/tornado-the-a1-steam-locomotive

I have ordinary Tinware Trainz +Plus for which I pay a monthly subscription and I can't see so much as a hint of the Tornado pack in the on-line Content Store app attached to my copy of TRS22. And come to that I don't seem to be able to give N3V money to buy the Tornado pack outright like I did with the Potteries Loop Line just recently.

By the way Zec I'd be completely happy to pay serious money for a Mk1 carriage pack that contains all the 1950s Mk1 liveries. My present Mk1 sets are payware from the TS2009 era and they are well and truly in need of replacement.

And I still can't access the new Tornado pack despite being a subscribed +Plus member!

You need to be a Gold member to download them at the moment. I've just done so and the pack includes both blue & grey and carmine & cream Mk1 coaches, so very useful for the early 50's route like mine.
Definitely one happy bunny.....

You need to be a Gold member to download them at the moment. I've just done so and the pack includes both blue & grey and carmine & cream Mk1 coaches, so very useful for the early 50's route like mine.
Definitely one happy bunny.....

This is, what the store item page says:

"This item is only available if you own a Trainz Plus Standard or Trainz Plus Gold membership."

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was just a two week preview for gold members.
But my main reason for posting was the inclusion of carmine and cream MK1 stock.

This is, what the store item page says:

"This item is only available if you own a Trainz Plus Standard or Trainz Plus Gold membership."

Yes exactly that. If it's only available on Gold membership preview and not to Tinware +Plus subscribers that's what they should have said instead instead of annoying their customers.

I have both 119450 and 119451 installed and Tornado is installed in both.

Thanks for confirming that Malc. Everything else in the way of DLC is on offer to me in the Content Store app attached to my TRS22 install, - it's only the Tornado Pack that's missing.

Last edited:
Back