Rotating objects for placement in Route.

Relick

I have a devil of a time getting objects rotated to an exact degree on my route/routes.

I can never get them exact, it doesn't matter wheter the object is a (Building, X-ing or what ever, they are always a degree or two off no matter how hard I try.

Could this be a Mouse issue or is this something else? (I use a Logitech M185 wireless mouse, I have tried a Tech.inc mouse, with the same result)

Has anyone else experianced this issue?

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to all.

Last edited:
I use a wired mouse, but I don't know if it would be any different with a wireless mouse.

Have you tried holding down the Crtl key when using the rotate tool? This gives you control down to 0.1 of a degree.

As said CTRL allows finer adjustment.

That said I sometimes find I can't get the exact angle because it SKIPS over the angle I want. When that happens I place another of the object and rotate that. Often the 2nd one will align.

Hi Relick,

I note you have Trainz+ so Surveyor 2.0 is fantastic for this as you can type in rotation values and this works on multiple selected objects. I find this easier than rotating something manually and it always going to 90.2 degrees instead of 90.

Kind regards,

Gary

That makes me a bit angry, as type in feels like an accessibility feature to me... but maybe that's because my hands don't work as well as they used to.

Thanks to all of you for the previous replies. I didn't know about the control key.
I do have another question this time about setting a radius for a smooth curve.
A few places on my route I have tried to smooth a curve to take the "Kinks" out of it but I can never get a smooth radius.

Is there a secret to setting a radius or is just pot luck?

Thanks again for the previuos replys.

Under my name, download circle jig. Place it and you'll see several radii of circles with posts around them. If you place it on your curve and move (or add) spline points to line up with the post, the curve will be smooth (although it won't have a lead in / out like prototype rails do)

Of course the radii available aren't likely to match what you want, but you'll get a feel for the places you need a spline point. The tool is more educational than practical.

The straight sections leading into and out of the curve will need to be set to be straight.

I usually use the ruler, find my pivot point, and lay rulers out to each spline point to get the same distances and smooth out the curve.

Only in short runs and less than 90° otherwise the track "pulls in" toward the axis of the radius.

When I first started, I used way too many sline points. Then I also learned about using a very short piece of straight track before and after the curve.

Thanks to all of you for the previous replies. I didn't know about the control key.
I do have another question this time about setting a radius for a smooth curve.
A few places on my route I have tried to smooth a curve to take the "Kinks" out of it but I can never get a smooth radius.

Is there a secret to setting a radius or is just pot luck?

Thanks again for the previuos replys.

If you search the download station for "guide", you will find several templates by KingConrail76, Mr.Den and Frogpipe that you can use in surveyor (they are invisible in driver mode) to lay out curves of varying radii.

As others have mentioned, you place the spline points using these guides and have a straightened section at the beginning and end of the curve.

Cheers,
Piere.

Back