Grid Size Indentification

10m grid will only raise ground on the yellow grid squares while a 5m grid will raise ground on the black grid squares between the yellow ones.

The easiest way is to go to the terrain slide-out and choose the "Raise" button. Click on a major grid junction. For 5m, the terrain will rise from the intermediary point and for 10m the terrain will rise from the adjacent major grid junctions. Sounds complicated, but it really isn't. I think you'll see what I mean.

Bill

Thanks for the replies. It worked.

I also noted that the route file increased by about 35% for the 5m grid route.

Also, interesting to note I found no appreciable difference in the frame rates between the 5M and the 10M version of the route. I was expecting a much bigger hit on the frame rates.

You didn't see any drop in frame rates with 5m ? I would have loved to use the 5m baseboards, but always avoided them because of what others have warned about the hit on the frame rates.

I'd love to start using to 5m to continue on with my route, but I've heard it's a bad idea to mix them.....although I don't remember why. Too late for me to start over with the route.

This is how I did the test. I took one of my routes and cloned it. I then used the Marquee tool in TRS2002 to convert the baseboards to 5m in the cloned route. I then compared the performance between the two versions. The utilization of both the CPU and GPU remained about the same (around 45 to 50). The frame rates were within 2 fps between the two versions.

I am using a 4-year-old computer which has a NVidia 1080TI card. My monitor has a resolution of 1920 x 1020. My route is moderate in size with about 500 baseboards. There may be a bigger effect with a larger route.

I wanted to see the effect of baseboard size myself. I plan on beta testing the new baseboard type currently in Alpha test in TRS 2022. My understanding is it will have about the same requirement for resources as a route currently needed for a 5m baseboard route.

That's great ! I haven't heard of the marque tool. I'm guessing TANE doesn't have that ?

If you create baseboards using TransDEM, one of the options is to create with a mix of 5m and 10m baseboards with the 5m along the track path. So creating a mix isn’t bad.

Trainz 22 has file compression so file sizes are not the same as earlier versions. The file compression also allows faster loading so frame rates may not be the same either.

You don’t need Trainz 22 to convert between 5m and 10m.

Back