Trainz Plus Alpha Release

I agree with some about the interface being overcomplicated. I have been playing trainz since 2003, and i have had a heck of a time trying to unlearn everything from the past 20 years, And going to an interface that's like blender or photoshop. I hope over time I will be able to learn the new interface. In my own opinion new comers will have a much harder time in learning this. Me personally, I have spent most of my time in Surveyor over the years. Because 2.0 is so complex, i will probably be spending a lot of time doing asset replacement than trying to build my own route with the new surveyor. As far as testing goes, The new trainz living railroad is great, and I have had a lot of fun with it. The new surveyor on the other hand, I would get frustrated and go back to the legacy surveyor in trainz 22. I hope you put assets replace back in the tools menu. Hope this helps, And I plan on messing around with it more. I just don't think the new interface is user friendly at all compared to the legacy surveyor.:wave:

Last edited:
Even though the HD is not useable for my large Map due to increasing the Map Size over the .cdp limit, I am still testing the Alpha HD on smaller test Maps, and it does work very good for close cutting edges.

The huge thing that I have noticed that the far away Mountain Ranges look very good for the long draw distances, no environmental lighting drop outs as it did with the
10m, and 5m settings. The only issue is that the Mountain's area squares have to be converted to HD for them to have the long draw distances to be effective.

I wish that there was a way to see these Mountains from at least the 22000m settings in the Maps 10m square option.
Will this HD always need to be on for those further away scenes to look good?
Or will there be a patch for those further out scenes with the new upcoming directx12?
Cheers! Happy New Year!:)

@jjeff1955 happy new year and best wishes for you too.
We (at least me) can only hope they replace the cdp for package route with a tzarc kind of asset with at least 4GB of room than we can use the 22km and beautiful HD detail of mountain ranges. I did some merger tests and than the entire route HD and looks very very nice and yes the details like crevasse and steep banking now look much more realistic.

The huge thing that I have noticed that the far away Mountain Ranges look very good for the long draw distances,

This is a direct benefit of the new tessellation system and therefore isn't compatible with the legacy terrain.

Thank You Tony for the info.
The only other issue is when I convert the Mountain Ranges to HD is that I get very heavy FPS hits, sudden freezes when moving around the Map.
Hopefully the FPS performance will be improved for the HD options with the upcoming directx12.
Happy New Year!
Cheers!:)

The only other issue is when I convert the Mountain Ranges to HD is that I get very heavy FPS hits, sudden freezes when moving around the Map.

Please provide a detailed report through the bug report form: https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/xRdryu

Include information about your test map, actual fps stats before and after, whether the issue occurs in all locations or only some, whether it happens permanently after updating or only the first time you visit an area after converting etc.

HD terrain glitch and no repro

althought the HD terrain command is working fine some glitches pop up left and right.
Cannot repro it as on slice redone and it showed all fine. So just a glitch sort off?
I have to check each area small or bigger careful after doing HD terrain and use ctrl Z to undo if needed.
glitch HD 1.jpgglitch HD 2.jpgglitch HD 3.jpgglitch HD 5.jpgglitch HD 6.jpgglitch HD 7.jpg

althought the HD terrain command is working fine some glitches pop up left and right.
Cannot repro it as on slice redone and it showed all fine. So just a glitch sort off?
I have to check each area small or bigger careful after doing HD terrain and use ctrl Z to undo if needed.
View attachment 2394View attachment 2395View attachment 2396View attachment 2397View attachment 2398View attachment 2399

I've had green spikes pointing off into space with the flat earth twice that I can't repro. If I knew what I did to cause it, I'd report the error.

I'd like to ask n3v, if they got enough response to this alpha
I did fill in the feedback form (and hope all testers did)
https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/ie8XJ5ud

but did not report all bugs individually, cause there are simply too many

The development shown in this Alpha is promising but needs a lot of work
wish them success this year and if you need help with interfaces, say the word
greetings GM

uncertain TLR observations

maybe some things I observed but am not really able to make constantly reappear:

Sometimes, when Automatic scheduled trains are stuck, I switch to "Edit in S20"-mode and move them directly to a different track. This mostly happens when AI trains are stuck competing for a signal. On some occasions it happened, that the moved train loses its tasks, but not always. Also it happens occasionally that junctions remain blocked by AI. And one other thing that occured that a moved train does again can have tasks automatically assigned but it refuses to execute them. Also the green path is not shown anymore.

I can hardly reproduce it, I just noticed this behavior but can't really nail it down to something more reportable. Perhaps someone else noticed similar things.
Lockheed

Edit:
I think I found a possible workaround for AI refusing to execute a assigned task: it appeared like an additional driver has been assigned to that train. When I assign the train to me and let the driver hop off the tain, suddenly the task gets executed - just with a different driver.

Last edited:
The Newsletter says, the focus will be on the new HD terrain and TLR later

I wanted to use the new HD terrain specially around tunnels/entrances
and in its current form fails cause you can't dighole

What if N3V would make a special groundtexture with alpha that simply erases all textures where applied
because we now have a very small circle to place textures it would work quite precise
So leave the terrain intact and paint the unique invisible hole texture.

Please prevent users making 500 invisible textures, like we have with inv track etc.

Another major showstopper, No DEM because the stubborn "we will not share the format" attitude
What if, you contact the creator of Transdem, work together, possible with a NDA agreement
We don't ask to share the format, we ask to use DEM also with the HD terrain.

Water, deletion on conversion is not good
What if the old water could be automatic moved to a separate overlay 10mgrid layer,
totally independent from the HD terrain.

just a few thoughts, good luck developing
greetings GM

The Newsletter says, the focus will be on the new HD terrain and TLR later

Does this mean that work to correct the failings of S2.0 are put on the backburner, never to be finished. Hmmm
It's only been 12 months after all, such a long time for a beta.

Absolutely agree about DEM. Such a shame not to have it in conjunction with HD terrain. I think N3V are missing an opportunity here to blow the competition away.

John

Last post was in January. We are now near the end of February. When is the next release? When will Mac users be able to play with HD terrain?

Newsletter says they are reimagining HD Terrain and will have next alpha out in a week or two, followed by a beta.

Last edited:
Tony is unclear as to whether the beta he mentions is an update to Trainz Plus or a beta version of the current free standing alpha build. By the way, there is nothing stopping you from signing up for the alpha build now. It was released as a standalone build which users downloaded and installed on their PCs.

I found trouble when smooth terrain under the track/road and then trying to take it down to zero level just in selected area using the area marker: the ground reacts fine on one side of the elevation but on the other it remains all bumping like little irregular spikes. I'll post an image to clearify it if it will be necessary

I found trouble when smooth terrain under the track/road and then trying to take it down to zero level just in selected area using the area marker: the ground reacts fine on one side of the elevation but on the other it remains all bumping like little irregular spikes. I'll post an image to clearify it if it will be necessary

Please submit a bug report through https://n3vgames.typeform.com/to/xRdryu
(Also the thread was for the first alpha and we now have a new thread for alpha #2)

Back