Big Valley - Route of the Kishacoquillas Valley Railroad

G'day @frogpipe,

Wow, this looks really nicely done. Thank you very much for sharing it.

I downloaded from your web site and it says that I got V2. Is there any change of seeing V1? As I imagine that it may be even nicer with (I assume) more detailed payware assets?

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Piere.

G'day @frogpipe,

Wow, this looks really nicely done. Thank you very much for sharing it.

I downloaded from your web site and it says that I got V2. Is there any change of seeing V1? As I imagine that it may be even nicer with (I assume) more detailed payware assets?

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Piere.
Actually it's visually identical, with the exception of one truck I replaced. Everything else was caught up in the "DLC upversioned" assets because I had DLC installed when making it.

I painstakingly uninstalled all my DLC, made subtitute assets (colored cubes) and the bulk replaced the non-DLS versions with the visually identical lower version DLS assets.

I also made 3D distant hills where I had "cheated" and used billboard backdrops.

So all I did was save you a ton of hair pulling, you're not missing out on anything.

Hi Frogpipe,

Sorry, just kidding, but typography is my great passion ;) :
- on "PASTIME", the "S" and "M" are to be reworked a little : the "S" is more opened and has no straight parts, and the side-branches of the "M" are inclined,
- on "THEATRE", the "A" and the "R" are much more blocky : the side-branches are vertical .

Why did you used a font, and didn't simply draw the letters by hand ? If the use of a font can be usefull for a full text, for two little words, you can more easily make adjustements and refinings by hand (at least, this is the way I would have done them ...) .

One last question : what is the AI colorizer you have used ? If the original photo was pure black and white, I doubt that the software can guess the original colors :unsure: ...

OOPS, SORRY ! I've just seen that the initial conversation is more than one year old :eek: !

Cheers,

Philippe

Actually it's visually identical, with the exception of one truck I replaced. Everything else was caught up in the "DLC upversioned" assets because I had DLC installed when making it.

I painstakingly uninstalled all my DLC, made subtitute assets (colored cubes) and the bulk replaced the non-DLS versions with the visually identical lower version DLS assets.

I also made 3D distant hills where I had "cheated" and used billboard backdrops.

So all I did was save you a ton of hair pulling, you're not missing out on anything.
Ahh, no worries. Thanks for the info (and your efforts).

I've just finished a very enjoyable run on the route. It's really amazing. I enjoyed the trip just as much for the wonderful scenery. It was like a short sightseeing holiday.

Here are a bunch of shots I took along the way (I'll try not to overdo it, and I'll post some more elsewhere).
My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Thanks again for this really enjoyable route.

Cheers,
Piere.

Last edited:
I eagerly await the perfected reskin you'll be offering.
Hi frogpipe,

Here we go !
Theatre-advertisement-%3A-study-for-a-better-lettering.jpg

At the center, the original one . Above, your design . Under, my proposal .
In the "PASTIME", the "P" is more rounded, the "S" is totaly remade, the "M" has its side-legs divergent and its middle-leg spiked, the "E" has been narrowed and more rounded .
In the "THEATRE", all the letters are thicker, the "A" and the "R" are more blocky .

If your are interested, I can send you the original-reworked "advertisment.png" file by mail .

Hope you appreciate this constructive criticism :) !

Philippe

Hi frogpipe,

Here we go !
Theatre-advertisement-%3A-study-for-a-better-lettering.jpg

At the center, the original one . Above, your design . Under, my proposal .
In the "PASTIME", the "P" is more rounded, the "S" is totaly remade, the "M" has its side-legs divergent and its middle-leg spiked, the "E" has been narrowed and more rounded .
In the "THEATRE", all the letters are thicker, the "A" and the "R" are more blocky .

If your are interested, I can send you the original-reworked "advertisment.png" file by mail .

Hope you appreciate this constructive criticism :) !

Philippe
Send it over and I'll update the asset.

If you've seen the route, you've seen the detail level. Doing that, and making models, and texturing them, put me in a mind that what I had wasn't perfect but it was close enough for an incidental scenery item.

That said, yours is a superior duplication of the original. So I'll be glad to have it and will credit your revision of course.

As to the colors, I don't remember which colorizer I used. And I am certain its not 100% accurate, but I felt it was better than random choices by me and again was close enough.

Last edited:
Howdy Piere,
The coach is a Hudson & Western model from K&L, relettered for my Norfolk & North Shore. For $8.00 you get the coach, baggage, combine and observation, plus a little H&W 2-8-0 and a few freight cars as well.
Best,
smyers

Last edited:
I've been away from Trainz during 2023. Been farming on Farm simulator 22, but thought I'd take a look at this route. It is just freaking awesome!!!! A lot of work went into it and it looks fantastic. Good JOB!

Back