Big Valley - Route of the Kishacoquillas Valley Railroad

frogpipe

Yesterdayz Trainz Member

The Ol' Hook and Eye

-~-A charming backwoods railroad that ran in the heart of Pennsylvania. The KVRR was known as “the short line with a long name,” and it’s no wonder that local residents cooked up their own nicknames – the “Lofty Vanderbilt,” the “Hair Line” or “The Ol’ Hook & Eye” – reflecting its character and country mystique. For 47 years (1893-1940) this standard-gauge railroad hauled farmers and their produce between Belleville and Reedsville, a distance of only nine miles (14.5 kilometers). For the last 12 of those years, KV passenger service extended an additional seven miles (11 kilometers) from Reedsville to the Pennsylvania main line at Lewistown Junction via trackage rights on the PRR’s Milroy branch. Much of the railroad’s enchantment comes from the fact that it was financed through local stock subscriptions only, and was controlled its entire life by a Belleville physician, Dr. John P. Getter.-~-
- John G. (Jerry) Hartzler (Author, The Ol' Hook and Eye)

I am building have built a route which is inspired by the KVRR, as the valley is also known as "Big Valley" and that's far less cumbersome than "Kishacoquillas", I've chosen Big Valley as the name.

I'll post here from time to time showing the progress as I work my way down this titanic 9.4 mile long route :ROFLMAO:

Enjoy.

Now Available here! - and in the DLS
Now with
ROLLING STOCK (Special thanks to Steve Lerro)

https://kvrailroad.com

Last edited:
New asset. I don't roll my own unless there just isn't anything close, but I happened on a photo from 1938 showing this roadside billboard right across the street from the Reedsville station...

AYniAyp.jpeg

Sometimes you have to say close is close enough - I made the skin and model, including the advertisement. As you can see, the original photo was lacking in detail.

That's just awesome, Trainz has come a very, very long way since I started in 2012. I've got to get another super computer but HO Scale has been consuming all my money.

Cheers all.

That looks nice.

The font is similar to News Gothic but not quite the same. I would've kerned the Theatre a bit more between the A and T or spread out the other letters a bit to fit the width while centering the text under the A thru M. This is my old job coming out as a typesetter. I used to run one of those big Varityper systems back in the later 1980s thru early 90s.

I'll take the advice. To my eye it is over saturated and the weathering lacks subtlety, but I reached that point where I know what I need to do is "live with it" a bit, and see it in situ, to get a feel for what revisions are needed. So it's an alpha version of sorts.

By the way, "the font"? On "theatre"? Because I think there's 4 different ones on this...

Reminda me, I need a better way to preview fonts, I have hundreds...

Last edited:
I'll take the advice. To my eye it is over saturated and the weathering lacks subtlety, but I reached that point where I know what I need to do is "live with it" a bit, and see it in situ, to get a feel for what revisions are needed. So it's an alpha version of sorts.

By the way, "the font"? On "theatre"? Because I think there's 4 different ones on this...

Reminda me, I need a better way to preview fonts, I have hundreds...

On Windows 10, I use the MS Store Font Viewer, Shows all your installed fonts on a fast scrolling side panel, with a text box that allows previews in different colors and styles. Might try it :)

FonTapp by Ricardo Kutz, on Flickr

2o6qR4E

Last edited:
Looking forward to this. About 130 miles west of my hometown, Reading. In fact, my Dad's family is / was from the Lewistown area

Last edited:
L3VoV9u.jpg

Some font changes and kerning changes based on advice - I found a good E to use - Still not sure about the saturation levels. New colors based on the brainstorm that I should try AI colorizing the original photo.

That is really, really nice. Lighting is a tough one in Trainz now because it's so much different than before. Honestly, I would leave it as is because if someone else uses a darker environment then the color saturation will be totally different. The kerning and layout is spot on now. :)

To my eye, your original colors looked better, but my eyes ain't so good, and I think you did a heck of a job!
And, in fact, the red in your original might have shown up much darker in black and white.

Last edited:
That is really, really nice. Lighting is a tough one in Trainz now because it's so much different than before. Honestly, I would leave it as is because if someone else uses a darker environment then the color saturation will be totally different. The kerning and layout is spot on now. :)
I'd second this post.

New video now that I've made it to Reedsville. Still need to do some distant terrain but first pass is mostly done. Need to start adding "set pieces" and "scenes".

Last edited:
Back