Delete A Payware Route - Also Delete Pre-Installed Assets?

boleyd

Will assets, I have previously installed, be erased when I delete a newly installed payware route?
That is, if deleted payware has assets, matching those I had already installed, will my already-installed assets also be deleted?

I think I've had that happen to me in the past. Deleted downloaded route that was payware but didn't like it so I deleted it in CM. Some of the assets I was previously using were gone. I was able to download them (again). Only had it happen once, so maybe it was just a fluke.

good question Boleyd
In an ideal world it should not have influence on other items but

Picture the following scenario:
-You have asset <kuid:12345:6789:4> installed and used in a few sessions
-you install a DLC(payware pack) that includes <kuid:12345:6789:5>
now the original <kuid:12345:6789:4> is obsoleted
-Once a week you do your clean up in CM and delete the obsolete ones
-You decide you no longer want the DLC, you go to the content store and uninstall it
now <kuid:12345:6789:5> gets removed and you break all route/sessions that need it

When you use/install a DLC, be very careful afterwards what you cleanup

Even if you don't delete the obsolete asset you still may have a problem. Any route you opened, that has that asset, will when saved store the new update kuid. The route will not revert to the older version number and will show as a missing asset. Deleted packages only remove the assets in the package not any DLS assets.

N3V has been working to ensure that any non-proprietary assets are downloadable from the DLS if they have been used in DLC. This is to ensure that any assets used won't be missing should the DLC be deleted.

Will assets, I have previously installed, be erased when I delete a newly installed payware route?
That is, if deleted payware has assets, matching those I had already installed, will my already-installed assets also be deleted?

A lot of the built in/payware routes have assets that you can only get from them , such as Avery Drexel, if you don't have them installed, then other routes will show these as being 'unknown' items. Pitkin encountered this issue this week when he tried to install a new version of my STD gauge Timber ridge route in 2022 to make a session , all the TUME items I'd used in there presented as unknowns .... in my install of 2019 they are packaged.....

I am going with the cautious approach - Until this is fixed I will avoid any purchases. Too much of a crap-shoot with no movement toward resolution by N3V.

Even if you don't delete the obsolete asset you still may have a problem. Any route you opened, that has that asset, will when saved store the new update kuid. The route will not revert to the older version number and will show as a missing asset. Deleted packages only remove the assets in the package not any DLS assets.

This shuold never happen, and sad if it is, this would definitly be a bug that should be addressed asap.. The kuid table in the route file should always retain the original kuid unless the author has manually updated the table in the config file. There would be exceptions, for example a session, but not things like scripted assets...

This shuold never happen, and sad if it is, this would definitly be a bug that should be addressed asap.. The kuid table in the route file should always retain the original kuid unless the author has manually updated the table in the config file. There would be exceptions, for example a session, but not things like scripted assets...

All kuids in a route will use the latest version of that asset. It will only retain the original kuid version if you exit and don't save the route. The table is automatically updated on every save, manual alteration will not alter the asset the route is using. I did suggest some time ago that maybe a kuid3 be used for DLC content which would not effect the normal DLS kuid2 assets.

All kuids in a route will use the latest version of that asset. It will only retain the original kuid version if you exit and don't save the route. The table is automatically updated on every save, manual alteration will not alter the asset the route is using. I did suggest some time ago that maybe a kuid3 be used for DLC content which would not effect the normal DLS kuid2 assets.

And N3V did say that they would put assets updated for DLC on the DLS to stop this problem, maybe need a reminder!

Back