Trainz Plus - Upcoming "Alpha" Test

Ah, for me raytracing is the same as VR. It's no fun if you don't have the hardware that handles it. I'm sure DX12 will be pretty nice already. I'll now be able to do some very nice analytics about GPU utilisation and such. In both Win11 and linux (maybe with Vulkan wrapper but that will be my personal playground). Just for fun of course. Also the visuals are just one aspect of the game. In VRChat there are lots of really pretty worlds but they are dead, without any life, nothing to do there. Even using a roller coaster or F22 aircraft bores you after the second round. Pretty. Boring. Dead. Regardless if you use VR set or pure desktop mode.
What counts most is the content that fills it with life. Look at OpenTTD (and similar things) - graphic like from 1980s but the game is full of life and still super popular despite the age. Content brings the fun (for me at least) :)

I know some folks are just waiting for ray tracing but well ... as long as they have the hardware and know what they test, it's fine. It will be a nice building brick in the Trainz product that benefits everyone. At some time in future.
But of course you will also have lots of kids whining about ray tracing doesn't work on their 3 year old budget PCs. But it is as simple like in car industries: upper class cars have best tech because it's new and expensive. Once the tech is matured enough and available in big quantity, production costs per piece are low enough so the product can be offered in medium class cars for a lower price and become affordable for a bigger audience.

For my part, I look forward trying out new things. I am lucky enough to also do that at work. And also to take part in "customer influence programs" of some companies. 20 years ago such things not existed. I really like how companies now allow their customers to influence their products ... I personally value that very high ...

Lockheed

Back