Transdem. Still worth using?

AntonyVW

Just wondering if Traqnsdem is still worth using, particularly with 22? My current copy dates to around Tane. So have maps improved enough to make newer version worth upgrading to? When I last used it, the maps struggled to determine when the track was in a cutting, which I guess is really down to how good the map used in the first place is.

Antony

I think you would need to use TANE initially then import due to the changes in format since, worked for me. I used Lidar with Transdem for my L&B WIP much more accurate.

Latest edition I think is 2.6.5.1 from 2021.

I'm regulary using TrainzDEM for my routes without a problem in TRS22. I don't know how it will be with the new HD terrain

I'm regulary using TrainzDEM for my routes without a problem in TRS22. I don't know how it will be with the new HD terrain

I don't think there will be any issues. The terrain is part of an imported TANE route. This route is really no different than anything else we've created manually except that the underlying height map used to create the landscape is imported from a DEM and applied in a 3rd-party program.

In the end, we'll have to try it and see which is one of the first things I want to try if I'm selected to do the testing in the Alpha release.

I don't think there will be any issues. The terrain is part of an imported TANE route. This route is really no different than anything else we've created manually except that the underlying height map used to create the landscape is imported from a DEM and applied in a 3rd-party program.

In the end, we'll have to try it and see which is one of the first things I want to try if I'm selected to do the testing in the Alpha release.
As Transdem can handle Lidar and the only issue is the height map getting demoted to the 5 or 10m grid in Trainz, I'm hoping it might just work with the HD ground.

Clam,
Is there a way to load the Lidar data directly into transdem? I've used 1 meter resolution dem data, but not raw lidar data, and am curious if this is what you mean?

Clam,
Is there a way to load the Lidar data directly into transdem? I've used 1 meter resolution dem data, but not raw lidar data, and am curious if this is what you mean?

UK Lidar is available as asc which will load into Transdem.

From what Im hearing here it sounds like it may be even better once the new HD Grid is available. Thanks guys. Makes ordering an updated copy more fun.

You can use TransDEM to convert DEMs to GND files to use directly in Trainz22, you just cannot use TransDEM to work on that route after it was imported in to Trainz as the GND file format has changed.

That brings us to HD Terrain. The GND file format, or whatever file it will be, will be again different. Tony has said they will not share the new file formats. This means high resolution DEM data, has to be converted to low resolution Trainz grid, and if you want converted to HD Terrain. it is like converting a photo to a thumbnail, taking that thumbnail to a higher resolution photo again and exception all the details of the original photo to be there in the last photo. It just doesn't work. As of yet, we have no idea how DEMS will be supported in HD Terrain, if at all.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of support (or demand) for DEM support in the Trainz community, at least it appears that way to me. We need to be shouting about it from the roof tops other wise it will be another one of those things that gets pushed to the back of the list and never gets done. How long has Trainz been out now? Hmm.

John

There doesn't seem to be a lot of support (or demand) for DEM support in the Trainz community, at least it appears that way to me. We need to be shouting about it from the roof tops other wise it will be another one of those things that gets pushed to the back of the list and never gets done. How long has Trainz been out now? Hmm.

John

That's probably because most of us use Transdem or the much older method of Microdem / Hog and some even height maps I believe?

Granted as the opposition has been able to import Dems for some time I am wondering if there is any intention to include this in Trainz at some point?

That's probably because most of us use Transdem or the much older method of Microdem / Hog and some even height maps I believe?

Granted as the opposition has been able to import Dems for some time I am wondering if there is any intention to include this in Trainz at some point?

I purchased Transdem and it works. The author of the software (geophil) apparently saw some demand among Trainz users for this, so he programmed Transdem. Why would N3V feel the need to program something that has already been done by geophil? I would rather have N3V do other things that need doing.

As far as Transdem not dealing with HD terrain - why would it? In my opinion, HD terrain capabilities, when available, are for final tweaking of a route in Surveyor - not route creation from scratch using Transdem.

I purchased Transdem and it works. The author of the software (geophil) apparently saw some demand among Trainz users for this, so he programmed Transdem. Why would N3V feel the need to program something that has already been done by geophil? I would rather have N3V do other things that need doing.

As far as Transdem not dealing with HD terrain - why would it? In my opinion, HD terrain capabilities, when available, are for final tweaking of a route in Surveyor - not route creation from scratch using Transdem.

There is DEM support needed somehow. You want the high resolution of dems to go directly to the high resolution HD Terrain, otherwise you are missing data that is then made up by the program. Essentially you end up faking some of the data, instead of using 100% real dem data.

There is DEM support needed somehow. You want the high resolution of dems to go directly to the high resolution HD Terrain, otherwise you are missing data that is then made up by the program. Essentially you end up faking some of the data, instead of using 100% real dem data.

Of course, in the best of all possible worlds, you are correct. The question then is whether you will need a super-computer to create such a route, since it will be HD terrain everywhere instead of only a few places, which is how I envisioned this would work.

It will be interesting to see how N3V proceeds with HD terrain capabilities and how Trainz users respond.

Yes TransDEM is amazing, I have exported routes to TANE and copied them across to TRS22/+
There is high res (2M) LIDAR data available from the UK government/Defra for England and Wales although I have not found a lot for Scotland other than in the most built-up area (Edinburgh/Glasgow etc).
I've also dabbled with Polish high-res LIDAR
At the moment the ground terrain is not that accurate due to the 5m grid limit but no idea how the forthcoming HD terrain will be supported.
An alternative is to generate UTM tiles that site on top of the ground and these have a higher resolution.

Kind regards,

Gary

Of course, in the best of all possible worlds, you are correct. The question then is whether you will need a super-computer to create such a route, since it will be HD terrain everywhere instead of only a few places, which is how I envisioned this would work.

It will be interesting to see how N3V proceeds with HD terrain capabilities and how Trainz users respond.

Tony has said performance levels for HD Terrain are similar to the current grid system. TransDEM already deals with high resolution DEM files very fast. TransDEM already varies the grid with higher resolution near the view point of the tracks and lower resolution grid away from the tracks. I imagine that can continue with the new HD terrain.

TransDEM already deals with high resolution DEM files very fast. TransDEM already varies the grid with higher resolution near the view point of the tracks and lower resolution grid away from the tracks. I imagine that can continue with the new HD terrain.

I agree, that is a big benefit of using tessellated terrain and when there are working tools in S2.0 to create HD terrain from scratch then the results will be amazing. But at the moment to go from the internal format of TransDEM to HD terrain will still have to go through the old grid system as the format that gets converted to HD terrain which limits the conversion to more of a smoothing process of subdividing the four sided polygons into more triangles. A bit like going from a sphere made of 64 polygons to a sphere made of 1024 triangles in Blender.

My interest is will there be specialized tools for working with HD terrain in S2.0 in the future. Vue has tools that apply water erosion and air erosion effects to their tessellated terrains. These work as brushes allowing you to brush on the effect to whatever area you want. You can easily brush on a stream or river bed where the depth varies with the width of the brush.

I am currently doing a Transdem extraction for a prototype route having got frustrated with doing a couple of model style layouts.

IMHO it will be a grave mistake if N3V do not work with external parties, namely Roland, to facilitate DEM importation which can match the forthcoming finer grid resolution. N3V have consistently turned their backs on having any sort of built in support for terrain and mapping to assist with prototype route building which is why programs like Transdem and the earlier HOG sprang up in the first place. I'm not so prolific these days but I wouldn't have created the routes I have done for Trainz over the years if it hadn't been possible to get reasonably accurate terrain in there. The one absolution for N3V would be if they are finally incorporating the tools needed to handle real world data in house - something akin to DTG TSC with its DEM importer and Google Map overlay. Even then, the beauty of Transdem is that you can use any maps you can lay your hands on to get the detail, such as historical US Topo maps.

I have not been very active in Trainz lately, but did install it on my new laptop recently. Being a bit of a perfectionist, the lack of proper terrain in TRS19 (and previous versions) is what made me lose interest in a created route very quickly. Now if this HD terrain works as good as it sounds, and TransDEM can support it eventually, it would definitely rekindle my interest in Trainz. Especially if HD terrain allows more finely grained water placement.

Still using TranDEM 2.6.6 and can import its results directly into TRS22+. As for the HD grid, I only convert selected parts when editing the route in Trainz so whether TranDEM is able to is a moot point at this time for me. Also, since I use 30 Meter SRTM at this time, I'm not too worried about missing DEM points in my maps.

Back